NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Nov. 4, 2020, 7:52 a.m.

Or would this be a more rearend be more complaint?

Nov. 4, 2020, 7:56 a.m.

The classic "S-bend" seat stay

Nov. 4, 2020, 9:25 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

While we are talking about compliant steel frames what would be the best design for a complaint frame?

The length, shape, wall thickness and diameter of the tubing plus geometry of the frame are all important. As well as any butting and any bracing. It's a complex thing to analyze and not something you'll easily deduce from a photo.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 4, 2020, 9:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 5, 2020, 9:26 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

While we are talking about compliant steel frames what would be the best design for a complaint frame?

The length, shape, wall thickness and diameter of the tubing plus geometry of the frame are all important. As well as any butting and any bracing. It's a complex thing to analyze and not something you'll easily deduce from a photo.

I didn't personally give any of this much thought until I had a frame custom made that was too compliant in both directions. It was really interesting to understand what that feels like. My subsequent frame nailed the feel through a careful combination of those factors and now I've limited the lateral flex nicely but still get good vertical compliance.

Nov. 5, 2020, 9:32 a.m.

I believe all steel Chromag share a tube set. My Wideangle is super stiff

OK. My Stylus was way more compliant than any aluminum hardtail I have owned so big wheels on the Rootdown will be just fine.

Nov. 5, 2020, 9:51 a.m.

I question the dedication to steel frames. With big volume 29” tires (and inserts), proper geometry that get you more over the fork on the descents, I think I’d rather save the 2 pounds of weight an aluminum frames offers over steel. It won’t have the lifespan of steel for sure tho.

Last edited by: flattire2 on Nov. 5, 2020, 9:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 5, 2020, 10:46 a.m.

Posted by: flattire2

I question the dedication to steel frames. With big volume 29” tires (and inserts), proper geometry that get you more over the fork on the descents, I think I’d rather save the 2 pounds of weight an aluminum frames offers over steel. It won’t have the lifespan of steel for sure tho.

It won't ride like a nice flexy steel frame either. Weight is 100% overated [within the +/- 1-2 lbs range]. Ride quality is far more important for comfort and performance. I've owned fatbikes and currently own two 29+ bikes - frame quality/feel is still very important even with big tires and nice suspension forks.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 5, 2020, 10:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 5, 2020, 1:34 p.m.

Posted Vikb

It won't ride like a nice flexy steel frame either. Weight is 100% overated [within the +/- 1-2 lbs range]. Ride quality is far more important for comfort and performance. I've owned fatbikes and currently own two 29+ bikes - frame quality/feel is still very important even with big tires and nice suspension forks.

100%

Nov. 5, 2020, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Vikb

I didn't personally give any of this much thought until I had a frame custom made that was too compliant in both directions. It was really interesting to understand what that feels like. My subsequent frame nailed the feel through a careful combination of those factors and now I've limited the lateral flex nicely but still get good vertical compliance.

What was the two makes of frames?

Nov. 5, 2020, 1:57 p.m.

I've had quite a few hardtail frames and always seem to gravitate back to steel with thinner seatstays for good comfort as a general rule of thumb. I'm really interested in rear end frame flex design and would like to see more options. Production Privee manufacture flex into the back of their Shan steel frames.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on Nov. 5, 2020, 1:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 5, 2020, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

I've had quite a few hardtail frames and always seem to gravitate back to steel with thinner seatstays for good comfort as a general rule of thumb. I'm really interested in rear end frame flex design and would like to see more options. Production Privee manufacture flex into the back of their Shan steel frames.

The Production Privet frames look awesome but the Geo is soooo 2012...... It would be nice if they updated the hardtails to match there fullies

Nov. 6, 2020, 1:05 a.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

The Production Privet frames look awesome but the Geo is soooo 2012...... It would be nice if they updated the hardtails to match there fullies

Yes, it's a shame about the short reach numbers on those frames.

Nov. 6, 2020, 1:41 p.m.

thanks alot guys. anyone wanna' buy a wideangle that's never been built up??

Nov. 7, 2020, 5:51 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

It warms my heart to know that you even own a bike.😂

Nov. 7, 2020, 7:14 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Still rides better then any aluminum frame. I ride mine all the time and its great you just need 2.6 tire so it rides nice.