NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Aug. 21, 2020, 3:39 p.m.

Completed the build on this last night. Maiden voyage tomorrow AM.

Aug. 21, 2020, 3:46 p.m.

Let's try that again...

Aug. 21, 2020, 5:57 p.m.

That looks awesome

Aug. 21, 2020, 6:05 p.m.

Great lookin Chromag

Update: Im loving my Naked. Use it 85% of the rides although I did take the Slayer to Fromme today and was reminded of how awesome it is too.

Ive always liked the Naked but I started to LOVE it when I got the hang of staying on the bars hard. These modern hardtail slayers are super capable but for me, I have to be further forward than Im used to. Its made me a better rider as I rip the Slayer the same way now.

Aug. 22, 2020, 5:20 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

That looks awesome

Yes. Very nice! Enjoy. :-)

Aug. 22, 2020, 1:57 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

Let's try that again...

Very nice.

Aug. 22, 2020, 2:18 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Great lookin Chromag

Update: Im loving my Naked. Use it 85% of the rides although I did take the Slayer to Fromme today and was reminded of how awesome it is too.

Ive always liked the Naked but I started to LOVE it when I got the hang of staying on the bars hard. These modern hardtail slayers are super capable but for me, I have to be further forward than Im used to. Its made me a better rider as I rip the Slayer the same way now.

I found the exact same thing when I started really focusing on riding my Chromag, wide knees, weight forward. Such a game changer.

Last edited by: thaaad on Aug. 22, 2020, 2:18 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: lolspelling
Aug. 22, 2020, 10:21 p.m.

Let's try that again...

Really nice. Is that a raw? Looks amazing. Ridden it yet?

Aug. 22, 2020, 11:32 p.m.

Let's try that again...

I couldn’t tell there was a dropper post at first.

Aug. 23, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Let's try that again...

Really nice. Is that a raw? Looks amazing. Ridden it yet?

Thanks. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. It’s a dark grey tint over raw. First real ride was yesterday at Eagle. Taking it to Fromme this AM.

Aug. 23, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Let's try that again...

I couldn’t tell there was a dropper post at first.

That’s the beauty of a 210 dropper.

Aug. 31, 2020, 11:58 a.m.

I finally got my winter bike built just as it's starting to feel cool and moist here on the island. It's a large Cotic BFeMax with 160mm Lyrik and 29 x 2.6" DHF/DHR. So far I've just cruised around the 'hood. I'm on the mend from an injury so it'll have to be a slow and gradual introduction of the new whip to the trails. I am looking forward to see how she rides when things get really wet. :-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 31, 2020, 12:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2020, 4:55 a.m.

Good looking Cotic Vik. Double bottle cage; are you planning any longer bikepacking type rides with this? I'm in the middle of transforming my Moxie to a winter set up with 150mm fork (have to wait until late Oct for it), but it will end up with similar geometry to this I think. Would be interested to know how much distance you can comfortably cover with it.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on Sept. 2, 2020, 4:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2020, 6:28 a.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

Good looking Cotic Vik. Double bottle cage; are you planning any longer bikepacking type rides with this? I'm in the middle of transforming my Moxie to a winter set up with 150mm fork (have to wait until late Oct for it), but it will end up with similar geometry to this I think. Would be interested to know how much distance you can comfortably cover with it.

At this point my only plan is to run the Cotic as my main bike this winter on Van Isle. Although I am not driving to the trails often so a typical ride is 40K-70K long. I have a custom steel HT [purple Daambuilt ^^^] setup for bikepacking that is only a bit less aggressive than the Cotic. So most likely I won't bikepack with the Cotic. Mostly because I'd want to use the dropper and that means either no gear behind the saddle or I'd have to come up with DIY rack hack. Since my other HT was designed for use with a rack it would just make sense to ride that instead.

Info on my purple Daambuilt is here: https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/20/daambuilt-mega-krampus-bike-review-part-1/ [there are two more blog posts linked at the bottom of this one if you want more info]

I've done up to 170kms with lots of climbing in one day so far on the Daambuilt with camping gear aboard and not had any issues.

The Cotic can take a 3rd bottle under the DT and there is room for 2 of the 3 bottles to be really big. So I can definitely see this bike going on some epic alpine rides. So far the Ergon saddle is the only thing I am not sure about. Beyond that I don't see any reason why I wouldn't happily pedal this bike all day long.

In terms of using your Moxie for bikepacking or epic single day rides it should work fine. Obviously you have to address your personal fit/comfort issues. There is no way to know what those will be aside from just riding the bike longer distances and taking notes on what parts of your body start to complain then address those issues. That might mean a different saddle/bar/grips than you'd run for trail shredding missions.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 2, 2020, 6:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2020, 11:55 a.m.

Yes I've seen the Daambuilt bike before, she's a beaut.  Understandable that it's your go to bikepacking rig.  170km in a day, you're fitter than me.  My longest rides are only up to 30k or so plus some playing on jump lines in the middle.  I don't tend to do all dayers.

3 bottle cages, didn't know it had that!  Maybe they've been paying too much attention to Mike Levy at PB.

Sounds like my bike will handle as much distance as I can manage and then some which is good to hear (still loving the Moxie).  I can always go back to gears.   I used to drive to trails every weekend but in recent years really appreciate longer rides from the door.

I have two sets of wheels (cheaper than 2 bikes), one with Maxxis Rekon/Ikon and the other with DHF/DHR and softer compound (dh set up).  First ride of the year with the dh wheels and, jeez what an amazing difference tyres can make.  Easy to forget once you get used to lesser tyres shortcomings.  Riding them on the road is another matter of course...