NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

July 9, 2020, 9:37 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

That is the bike of someone who knows what they want, and gives no shits for fashion.

Nah, that is a fashionable bike. Did you not notice all of the matching parts.  And the dropper.

July 9, 2020, 12:03 p.m.

I totally get that a hardtail with dual fenders, a rear rack and bar ends isn't going to win any fashion awards. Even though I really dig the look myself. The bike's finish turned out far far nicer than expected...enough so that I actually feel bad about how abused it's gotten in just a single year. The photos make it look perfect still, but up close it's really worn. I should have put a bunch more clear tape on it when I built it up, but for some reason I didn't. I can't recall why. Anyways the finish was nice enough I sprung for some blue accented parts since it seemed to deserve some bling.

When I was helping a buddy setup his bike recently for bikepacking two points I tried to convey about what's going to make a great bikepacking rig were #1 - it needs to be really comfortable and #2 - it needs to be really fun to ride. This bike hits both goals for me. :-)

July 9, 2020, 7:37 p.m.

It wasn't a diss, in my view a mountain bike is a machine for having fun. Things like internal routing that are clearly form over function detract from this.

July 11, 2020, 8:45 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I should have put a bunch more clear tape on it when I built it up, but for some reason I didn't. I can't recall why. 

In my experience it's usually because a good clear tape job takes a really long time to get done properly between sizing up, cutting, applying bubble free, and stretching it to conform to any curvy bits.

Then I get too impatient to get it done properly and just start bolting parts on to see what it would look like, then a few other parts to see how it would feel while sitting on it, and before you know the thing is built up and ready to party.

July 11, 2020, 10:23 p.m.

Anyone here ever actually ride a doc tahawk? I was just looking at the geo and going hmmmm. 180mm up front? I  don't know if my knees have that much, it might be imbalanced.... I wonder what it rides like though. Would love to hear someone's impression.

July 12, 2020, 6:46 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Anyone here ever actually ride a doc tahawk? I was just looking at the geo and going hmmmm. 180mm up front? I don't know if my knees have that much, it might be imbalanced.... I wonder what it rides like though. Would love to hear someone's impression.

Nope, but the Cotic BFeMAX HT I am building has somewhat similar geo with 160mm fork:

BFeMAX/Docta

HTA 62.4/62.5 deg [more like 64.5 deg once sagged]

WB 1271/1287mm

Fork 160/180mm

My current HT has a 65 deg unsagged HTA with a 140mm fork and that's great to ride on flat/rolling terrain for hours. And my FS bike sags out to something like a 64 deg HTA so I figure the new Cotic should be good for more shreddy tech riding at ~64.5 deg. Before I got my current HT I had never had a HT with a 140mm fork and it rides well. I'm not sure how the 160mm fork will feel, but I'm not overly worried. I can always lower it to 150mm or even 140mm. If I went as low as 140mm I'd probably throw in a -1 deg headset to preserve the slacker HTA.

The 180mm fork does seem "crazy" to me, but I am sure the folks at Chromag tested it out thoroughly and found it to be useful. And to be fair a year ago a 160mm fork on a HT would have seemed "crazy" to me as well and here I am building one up.

Last edited by: Vikb on July 12, 2020, 10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 12, 2020, 11:38 a.m.

I had a 36 170mm on my Wide angle for a while because I was too lazy to lower it at first. I never noticed it feeling weird while I was riding it but once I lowered it to 150 it felt a lot more nimble and responsive, to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

Last edited by: thaaad on July 12, 2020, 11:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 12, 2020, 8:03 p.m.

A lot more nimble and responsive you say....hmmmm, interesting.

I'll be interested to hear how the cotic is. I'm sure I can trust that you'll post a pic and some ride impressions?

My primer should be arriving in a couple of weeks. I think a doc tahawk would be too aggressive, a one trick pony, that would be sluggish on everything but "whistler" steep trails.

July 13, 2020, 5:54 a.m.

Lockdown-Bike (more pics in my album)

My Lockdown-Gravelroad-Rocket. It is a Pipedream Moxie 2020 size Large with 29“ wheels.

Very nimble and super snappy compared to my Raaw Madonna. Also super light in comparison. The geometry makes it very capable, but I can tell you my wrists and hardtails in harsh terrain don’t mix. I can ride almost all the trails/stuff I can ride with the Madonna. But I’ll pay dearly with several NO-Bike-days, because of wrist problems. I can ride the stuff with the Madonna no problems for a couple of days in a row. It’s not a fork issue, the Pike Ultimate works great.

I was going to sell the frame, but now I’ve settled on another use case and am super happy:

I use it it on bikepaths, gravelroads, fireroads and only the mellowest of trails, attach lots of water and snacks with straps and enjoy riding it with only a helmet and no pads like the 15 year old kid I was 20 years ago. Very uncomplicated and innocent fun. And with higher rise bars it’s very comfortable. Love the 78deg seat angle...

Last edited by: Znarf on July 13, 2020, 5:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 13, 2020, 6:01 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

It is a Pipedream Moxie 2020 size Large with 29“ wheels.

Great looking bike. A Moxie was on my shortlist.

July 13, 2020, 6:03 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I'll be interested to hear how the cotic is. I'm sure I can trust that you'll post a pic and some ride impressions?

My primer should be arriving in a couple of weeks. I think a doc tahawk would be too aggressive, a one trick pony, that would be sluggish on everything but "whistler" steep trails.

Enjoy the Primer. I'm headed out for a week's ride with my buddy on his Rootdown. My bike has a Chromag stem and rims. I joked with him that I need some Chromag bits just to be cool enough to ride with him. ;-)

Once I get the Cotic built I'll throw up a few photos and link to my blog where I'll be doing a detailed write up.

July 13, 2020, 6:57 a.m.

My Lockdown-Gravelroad-Rocket. It is a Pipedream Moxie 2020 size Large with 29“ wheels.

Very nimble and super snappy compared to my Raaw Madonna. Also super light in comparison. The geometry makes it very capable, but I can tell you my wrists and hardtails in harsh terrain don’t mix. I can ride almost all the trails/stuff I can ride with the Madonna. But I’ll pay dearly with several NO-Bike-days, because of wrist problems. I can ride the stuff with the Madonna no problems for a couple of days in a row. It’s not a fork issue, the Pike Ultimate works great.

I was going to sell the frame, but now I’ve settled on another use case and am super happy:

I use it it on bikepaths, gravelroads, fireroads and only the mellowest of trails, attach lots of water and snacks with straps and enjoy riding it with only a helmet and no pads like the 15 year old kid I was 20 years ago. Very uncomplicated and innocent fun. And with higher rise bars it’s very comfortable. Love the 78deg seat angle...

Nice to see another Moxie - looking good. I've got the older teal colour but prefer that blue. Oh well, good excuse for a new paint job at some point. The stack height is low on the Moxie, I've just put a 3 inch riser on mine with the stem slammed. Running a shorter fork than you though. If you're just riding gravel and mellow singletrack I agree with the high rise bar. It's really comfy when seated.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on July 13, 2020, 7:45 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Typos
July 13, 2020, 7:07 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

After a year of riding overhauled the Daambuilt Mega Krampus:

- fresh 11 speed XT drivetrain

- Chromag Magna 40 rims + Hope Pro2 hubs + Woltooth Boostinator kits + Sapim Race spokes

- Rekon+ tires in 29 x 2.8"

- RRP front fender

- SQLabs 16 deg bars [vs. old 12 deg bars]

- Chromag 31mm stem [vs. old 35mm stem]

- Some inboard bar ends for alternate hand positions when touring

- fresh brake pads in rear and bled both brakes

- Selle Anatomica saddle [my old touring saddle]

- custom Porcelain Rocket half-frame bag [wider than standard model for more capacity]

I'm heading out for a week on this bike shortly. I'm excited to get her dirty and break in all the new parts. :-)

Never tire of seeing this bike.  Matching hoses, nice work.  Also love the seatstay/tube brace.  The older I get the more my bike seems to be evolving into a bikepacking rig, currently looking at a new frame bag for mine.

I've recently gone from 9 deg backsweep bar to 12 deg and it does feel better.  

Question for you if I may please Vic, how much difference does 16 deg make over 12 in your opinion?  I thought 9 - 12 deg was quite noticeable, but I can still 'get rad' on 12 deg.  Do you think 15 or 16 deg would hinder dirt jumping or general trail/dual track shredding, or is it something you could get used to?

July 13, 2020, 8:12 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your wrists limiting the uses for this machine -- I added a Moxie to my stable as an addition to a very similar FS Enduro and I've been loving it in all sorts of terrain, running it single speed, it is mighty fun.

July 13, 2020, 11:46 a.m.

After noticing a major difference in arm pump between my FS and HT and not having much luck improving it via setup related changes, I've ordered some revgrips to try. Bit of an expensive experiment, but conceptually I can really see how they'd help in a hardtail especially. 

Shipping from US to Canada is a disaster these days, I guess they all have covid? So who knows when they'll actually turn up, but I'll follow up after some testing.