NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

June 24, 2020, 5:41 a.m.

My buddy got a nice new Chromag on the weekend. So he came over to get it dusty and get it setup for some bikepacking trips we have planned for the summer. I only got a chance to spin around the yard on it because it's way too small for me, but it felt sweet and he was riding tough tech trails blind and just having a great time. I'm stoked for him.

June 24, 2020, 9:33 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

My buddy got a nice new Chromag on the weekend. So he came over to get it dusty and get it setup for some bikepacking trips we have planned for the summer. I only got a chance to spin around the yard on it because it's way too small for me, but it felt sweet and he was riding tough tech trails blind and just having a great time. I'm stoked for him.

I'm jealous that he has his new Chromag while I await mine....

Is he seriously going to bike pack with that rack? Make sure he brings like 10 sets of mounting hardware as I foresee problems loading that thing to be ridden on rough roads. My rule was always that some part of the rack had to be directly bolted to the bike. Maybe it's bolted to the disc brake mount? finally a good use for ISO brake tabs.

June 24, 2020, 9:42 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I'm jealous that he has his new Chromag while I await mine....

Is he seriously going to bike pack with that rack? Make sure he brings like 10 sets of mounting hardware as I foresee problems loading that thing to be ridden on rough roads. My rule was always that some part of the rack had to be directly bolted to the bike. Maybe it's bolted to the disc brake mount? finally a good use for ISO brake tabs.

He knows people! They were able to find one frame that fit him.

Yes he is seriously going to bikepack with that rack. We'll be packing UL minimal gear. He just wants to be able to use his dropper hence the rack vs. a more typical seatbag. That rack will be 100% fine it's not my first rodeo. ;-)

June 25, 2020, 4:41 p.m.

Not sure if I posted a shot of the Daambuilt setup for bikepacking. Now that we can travel in BC I'll be heading out for some bike camping. :-)

RAH - my bike has mounts for the rack. That's what you get for a custom frame at 3 x Rootdowns in cost.

June 25, 2020, 8:47 p.m.

Nice bike dude. Looks like a lot of fun.

My wife and I used to tour a little. I retrofitted her rocky mountain thin air with clamps like your friend. We were carrying a bit more on our racks than you guys though. Frame bags weren't invented yet and she likes to sleep in style. By the end of our first weekend her rack was barely holding onto the frame. But, if that little bag is all that goes on that rack, you could attach it with dental floss and it might hold.

Your kit looks pretty light weight. How much load do you carry? 10-15lbs? Do you bring food and a stove?

June 26, 2020, 6:29 a.m.

Nice bike dude. Looks like a lot of fun.

My wife and I used to tour a little. I retrofitted her rocky mountain thin air with clamps like your friend. We were carrying a bit more on our racks than you guys though. Frame bags weren't invented yet and she likes to sleep in style. By the end of our first weekend her rack was barely holding onto the frame. But, if that little bag is all that goes on that rack, you could attach it with dental floss and it might hold.

Your kit looks pretty light weight. How much load do you carry? 10-15lbs? Do you bring food and a stove?

I'm not sure how much my gear weighs. I should weigh it sometime for interest sake. Over the years I've been moving towards carrying less and less stuff as I realized I bike camped because I liked riding places I couldn't get to on a day ride and the less stuff I had the more I enjoyed the ride plus the further I could go. I car camp plenty throughout the year so I leave all my camp luxuries for those trips.

I'll skip the stove whenever I can. Food is pretty essential, but I'll try and carry only what I need to depending on resupply options. Sometimes I can sit down for a hot meal everyday. Sometimes I have to carry every bit of food I want with me from the start for the whole trip.

The load on the rear rack is only ~4lbs...sleeping bag, pad and bivy sack. I could run a much lighter rack, but I already own a few of these OMM racks and I haven't seen anything else compelling enough to get me to spend the $$ on it. Mainly I want to be able to use my dropper as my ideal bikepacking trip is riding alpine technical singletrack which gets steep and chunky so being able to ride the bike at something like full performance is important....also the motivation for bringing less stuff. 

Most of the time I'll wear a small pack when touring. I find having some weight on my back and off the bike is helpful for technical riding and makes the inevitable hike-a-bike sections easier as well. Plus it's handy to have some extra capacity when a strap breaks and I need to move gear around or I get motivated to buy a 6 pack of beer! 

My GF has shown limited interest in bike camping. If she did I'd have to pack a few more luxuries, but we'd probably be rolling along a logging road or something else chill so it wouldn't matter.

June 26, 2020, 8:48 a.m.

Not sure if I posted a shot of the Daambuilt setup for bikepacking. Now that we can travel in BC I'll be heading out for some bike camping. :-)

RAH - my bike has mounts for the rack. That's what you get for a custom frame at 3 x Rootdowns in cost.

What kind of trip would you be able to do with this setup as far as distance, elevation, carrying enough food and technical terrain?

June 26, 2020, 11:13 a.m.

Looks great, always fun to see some bikepacking setups!

June 27, 2020, 12:19 p.m.

Posted by: craw

What kind of trip would you be able to do with this setup as far as distance, elevation, carrying enough food and technical terrain?

The only limit to the above setup is that I wouldn't want to carry more than ~5 days of food in my pack and I would not have clothes for really poor or widely varying weather. So winter trips = no. Long trips without resupply every 4-5 days = no.

It's ideal for summer bikepack trips on technical terrain that are either 4-5 days long or where I can get more food every 4-5 days. I've spent a decent amount of time touring in the Chilcotins and that experience has pushed me towards more and more capable mountain bike touring setups. Where fun riding the bike is the priority. Not camping comfort. The good news is that the same setup is more fun on less demanding terrain like a logging road tour.

I've taken this loaded bike down local enduro stages. It does fine. Obviously I have to ride it with less fury due to the fact it's a hardtail and heavier than an unloaded bike, but it can still get air and rally pretty well. I can't take credit for anything as I am just following in other people's footsteps, but the geo and the lighter setup is key to having it ride like a mountain bike not a dump truck.

FWIW - I have the ability to load a 2L bottle under the DT and carry 750ml x 2 bottles on the bars. I won't do that unless water is in short supply. In Coastal BC....most of the time finding water is not an issue.

Last edited by: Vikb on June 27, 2020, 12:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 27, 2020, 12:33 p.m.

Photo of my buddy's Chromag Rootdown loaded for a quick overnighter from Chemainus to Lake Cowichan/Youbou to Gillespie Lake and back around to Chemainus we did yesterday and today. Considering it's not designed as a bikepacking rig it did great. :)

We'll be doing a week long tour in a couple weeks from Victoria to Nanaimo over to the Sunshine Coast to ride the BCBR course north to Powell River. Then over to Cumberland and around Lake Comox to Port Alberni and back to Victoria on logging roads. Our setups won't change much. What we need for 2 days we need for 1 week or 4 weeks other than food/water, which we'll just get more along the route as needed.

This route would be a nice one day ride unloaded as well, but we wanted to sleep outside so we started late on Friday.

June 27, 2020, 9:38 p.m.

Not sure if you are planning a lot around Cumberland but there are definitely a few ways to spice up your ride around Comox lake. There are a few fun trails in port Alberni as well. Send me a PM if you need any tips.

June 28, 2020, 5:47 a.m.

Not sure if you are planning a lot around Cumberland but there are definitely a few ways to spice up your ride around Comox lake. There are a few fun trails in port Alberni as well. Send me a PM if you need any tips.

PM sent. We won't be doing any just for fun trail riding [no time], but if there are trails/deactivated logging roads/old double tracks going where we need to go we'd rather ride those than the main logging roads.

July 3, 2020, 10:19 p.m.

Primer is on order. I  figured the Canadian welders could use the work during the pandemic. Also, I understand the primers are welded by either truelove or dekerf, either of whom I'd be stoked to ride their work. I'll post some pics once I have it in a few weeks.

July 8, 2020, 7:30 a.m.

After a year of riding overhauled the Daambuilt Mega Krampus:

- fresh 11 speed XT drivetrain

- Chromag Magna 40 rims + Hope Pro2 hubs + Woltooth Boostinator kits + Sapim Race spokes

- Rekon+ tires in 29 x 2.8"

- RRP front fender

- SQLabs 16 deg bars [vs. old 12 deg bars]

- Chromag 31mm stem [vs. old 35mm stem]

- Some inboard bar ends for alternate hand positions when touring

- fresh brake pads in rear and bled both brakes

- Selle Anatomica saddle [my old touring saddle]

- custom Porcelain Rocket half-frame bag [wider than standard model for more capacity]

I'm heading out for a week on this bike shortly. I'm excited to get her dirty and break in all the new parts. :-)

Last edited by: Vikb on July 8, 2020, 7:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 8, 2020, 7:02 p.m.

That is the bike of someone who knows what they want, and gives no shits for fashion.