NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

June 8, 2020, 12:45 p.m.

Interesting! The reviews all suggested that the one thing that fork does particularly weirdly is rear-wheel-first landings where the fork gets slapped down, which is something you're generally more likely to do on a hardtail. Have you found this to be the case?

June 8, 2020, 1:45 p.m.

Here's hoping you don't have any major issues with it since the company shut down.
Let us know how it rides!

June 8, 2020, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Interesting! The reviews all suggested that the one thing that fork does particularly weirdly is rear-wheel-first landings where the fork gets slapped down, which is something you're generally more likely to do on a hardtail. Have you found this to be the case?

Yes, it feels stiff, rides high in its travel and acts more like a rigid fork in a lot of situations, like the one you described.  I've had a couple of rides so far and relieved to say it works well on my local trails which are smooth and flowy, quite flat and jumpy. Zero rocks. If I were riding mountains I'd probably have gone with something plush and comfy instead.  The cornering stability is impressive though, you can push into the front end to help get the rear around a flat turn more easily.  Less understeer if you like.  That's the main benefit I've noticed. 

Apparently the UK importer has a lot of spare parts but fingers crossed it holds up.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on June 8, 2020, 3:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2020, 7:36 a.m.

Gratuitous BFeMAX photo. I got my shipping notice from Cotic today. Frame is on its way over the ocean. Exciting. :-)

Now I have to see if the fork on my old winter bike can take a 27 x 2.8" tire with or without some dremel tool persuasion. ;-)  If it can't I'll shell out for a new 29er/27+ fork, but I'd like to avoid that expense a year or so if possible.

June 10, 2020, 9:06 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Gratuitous BFeMAX photo. I got my shipping notice from Cotic today. Frame is on its way over the ocean. Exciting. :-)

Now I have to see if the fork on my old winter bike can take a 27 x 2.8" tire with or without some dremel tool persuasion. ;-)  If it can't I'll shell out for a new 29er/27+ fork, but I'd like to avoid that expense a year or so if possible.

Drool,

What colour did you get? What do you  think  about the 73.5 STA? Most north American bikes are much steeper as  you know but  my lynskey was a one off made for a UK distributor and it has a similar STA. I'm old school so I like it just fine but many on the sites think anything less than 75deg is super slack.

June 10, 2020, 9:47 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Drool,

What colour did you get? What do you  think  about the 73.5 STA? Most north American bikes are much steeper as  you know but  my lynskey was a one off made for a UK distributor and it has a similar STA. I'm old school so I like it just fine but many on the sites think anything less than 75deg is super slack.

I find steep STA way less relevant on hardtails. I have a full suspension bike with a 76 degree STA and I would not want it any slacker, my hardtail is around 72, and it's fine.

June 11, 2020, 5:45 a.m.

What colour did you get? What do you think about the 73.5 STA? Most north American bikes are much steeper as you know but my lynskey was a one off made for a UK distributor and it has a similar STA. I'm old school so I like it just fine but many on the sites think anything less than 75deg is super slack.

Well a HT pivots forward when it sags into the fork so I don't fully understand the super steep STA HTs. My custom Daambuilt HT has a 74 deg unsagged STA with a 140mm fork so the BFeMAX should be pretty close with the same fork. On my FS bikes with steep STAs I run a 1" setback dropper [9point8] to slack out the STA a bit. So personally I'm not too worried about a slacker STA [within reason]. I have no issues sliding forward on the saddle for the 5-10mins when I hit an outrageously steep climb and the rest of the time I prefer not being pushed forward into a permanent climbing position by the STA. Sliding forward on the saddle is easy. Sliding back off the saddle doesn't really work.

I did take a bit of a chance by buying the longer of the two sizes I could fit. The L instead of the M. Being 51 I'm starting to enjoy that higher stack "old man" riding position so I'm hoping with higher bars, shorter stem and more backsweep on the bars I can get it to all work. The steeper STA on the BFeMAX vs. the SolarisMAX was the main reason I got the former. I wasn't sure I could get the riding position I needed on a L with the SolarisMAX. If I was closer to Cotic I'd have made the effort to get there and sit on L SolarisMAX and BFeMAX, but being in BC I had to just take chance and the BFeMAX was the safer bet.

I got the blue frame. This bike is destined to be my main winter ride and it's so dark and dreary in the forest all winter a bright bike is just more cheerful. I have threatened my GF that I'll use all pink accents/parts to make her jealous. ;-)

Last edited by: Vikb on June 11, 2020, 5:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 11, 2020, 7:39 a.m.

Updates the wheels to Race Face next and fork to ohlins coil. First ride with the new snappier setup last night.

June 11, 2020, 10:07 a.m.

Great looking Primer.

June 11, 2020, 2:09 p.m.

Thanks Vik. Similar colour to your new cotic. If your fork is a 2018 or newer fox 36, then it will fit a WTB 2.8.

June 11, 2020, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Thanks Vik. Similar colour to your new cotic. If your fork is a 2018 or newer fox 36, then it will fit a WTB 2.8.

Sadly it's an older non-Boost 275er Pike so I'm not optimistic, but I don't mind pulling out the dremel tool to make clearance as long as the material that needs to be removed is modest. The RS Boost forks seem to have plenty of clearance so I'll go that route if I have to.

I do have a Maxxis 2.6" tire in there now with a fender and I am okay running a Maxxis 2.8" so perhaps it will work. I've got a 27 x 2.8" DHF kicking around I'll try soon.

Last edited by: Vikb on June 11, 2020, 2:59 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
June 11, 2020, 3:03 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Drool,

I find steep STA way less relevant on hardtails. I have a full suspension bike with a 76 degree STA and I would not want it any slacker, my hardtail is around 72, and it's fine.

Love the Cotic frames.  I'm sure you'll be happy with it Vik.

I went from a 73 degree ST angle (though overforked so closer to 72 deg), to a 77.5 degree.  I have to say that, by sliding the seat to the preferred position the difference in climbing and general riding is marginal really.

June 11, 2020, 8:52 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Drool,

That’s the thing eh. We tend to run more sag on the rear of a dualie so the seat tube angle slackens when weighted and even more so when you’re  going uphill. Hardtail son the other are the opposite. Some say the super steep seat angle puts the saddle too close to your butt when you stand. My dualie has I think about 74 seat tube angle and the nose of the saddle is close. Any steeper though and that saddle nose will be rattling between my ass cheeks when I stand. Being short I really don’t need a steep seat angle to climb steep stuff without looping out.

June 12, 2020, 2:59 p.m.

had this thing for a while, it's pretty fun.. not e-bike fun though, so not sure how much it will get ridden now.

Last edited by: FthisNewForumIsAnnoying on June 12, 2020, 3:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 14, 2020, 11:34 a.m.

Yeah but is your ebike as fun as Tesla autopilot?

Honzo 👍