NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

May 25, 2020, 6 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: craw

So here is V2. Slightly adjusted geometry and bigger tubes. It took a second try to get it perfect.

Craw Ti Hardtail

What dimensions did you go with (and how tall are you) out of interest?

I'm 6'6".

Reach: 520, sta: 76', hta: 63', cs: 450, drop: 55, head tube: 150. Wheelbase is a bit over 1300. Plus vintage 180mm XTR cranks. So far it's just right. I since dropped the stem and still feel like I'm sitting a bit high with that 35mm rise bar so I'm due an experiment around that. The whole bike feels solid and torsionally stable, which is impressive for ti on a bike this long. It really is true that good fit/geometry>suspension.

Your bike is so big I thought it was 27.5's at first glance. It's awesome that for the first time you are lowering your bars - I know the feeling. Even on an XL at just 6'2" my bar is 20mm rise and my stem is 15mm above the headset and I still have a 5-7 cm drop to the bars from my saddle. I can't imagine my saddle 4" higher than it is already.

Who said it was the first time I'm lowering my bars? It's pretty clear my seat is all the way down in this photo.

Last edited by: craw on May 25, 2020, 6:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 25, 2020, 10:12 p.m.

I actually just noticed the saddle at full slam. 😂 

That must climb like a goat with the 450mm CS? I really should’ve asked for the longer CS with my G16. Oh well always a G1 ¯\(ツ)/¯

May 25, 2020, 11:54 p.m.

So here is V2. Slightly adjusted geometry and bigger tubes. It took a second try to get it perfect.

Craw Ti Hardtail

I'm 6'6".

Reach: 520, sta: 76', hta: 63', cs: 450, drop: 55, head tube: 150. Wheelbase is a bit over 1300. Plus vintage 180mm XTR cranks. So far it's just right. I since dropped the stem and still feel like I'm sitting a bit high with that 35mm rise bar so I'm due an experiment around that. The whole bike feels solid and torsionally stable, which is impressive for ti on a bike this long. It really is true that good fit/geometry>suspension.

Your bike is so big I thought it was 27.5's at first glance. It's awesome that for the first time you are lowering your bars - I know the feeling. Even on an XL at just 6'2" my bar is 20mm rise and my stem is 15mm above the headset and I still have a 5-7 cm drop to the bars from my saddle. I can't imagine my saddle 4" higher than it is already.

Who said it was the first time I'm lowering my bars? It's pretty clear my seat is all the way down in this photo.

Shouldn't have assumed that it was the first time - I take it back. When you commented on having to find a builder to use a longer head tube as well as the 35mm rise bar, I figured most bikes you ride have the stem at the top of the steerer as I do. You must have a more flexible back than I.

May 26, 2020, 12:34 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Yeah for a hardtail Marino is on my list. 

Back in my FS list now too due to my COVID budget.

I'm just waiting on my invoice to pay my deposit. 

A bit nerve wracking choosing your own geo but I haven't gone with anything too progressive. I still want it to be versatile as it'll be my do everything bike.

I'd share an image of the design if I knew how... 🤔

May 26, 2020, 8:14 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

That must climb like a goat with the 450mm CS? I really should’ve asked for the longer CS with my G16. Oh well always a G1 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You can always buy them from Geometron...

May 26, 2020, 8:16 a.m.

Craw Ti Hardtail

I'm 6'6".

Shouldn't have assumed that it was the first time - I take it back. When you commented on having to find a builder to use a longer head tube as well as the 35mm rise bar, I figured most bikes you ride have the stem at the top of the steerer as I do. You must have a more flexible back than I.

I don't usually ride with the stem up high. I always leave a few extra 5mm spacers so I can adjust. Even this bike has the same head tube length as the previous one and this is the same bar-stem combo on this bike I want everything lower. I have a 20mm rise bar sitting around so I'll run that as an experiment eventually.

May 26, 2020, 3:31 p.m.

That must climb like a goat with the 450mm CS? I really should’ve asked for the longer CS with my G16. Oh well always a G1 ¯(ツ)/¯

I know. But at that point I’ll just buy the G1 to get the EXT and mutator ability. Or if Forbidden is building a plow bike I’ll go that route.

May 27, 2020, 8:55 a.m.

That must climb like a goat with the 450mm CS? I really should’ve asked for the longer CS with my G16. Oh well always a G1 ¯(ツ)/¯

I know. But at that point I’ll just buy the G1 to get the EXT and mutator ability. Or if Forbidden is building a plow bike I’ll go that route.

It's a big jump from buying a couple of bits to buying a $5k frame but I've been known to make jumps like that too! That PB article mentioned that Nicolai Is working on a gearbox. If anyone could produce a decent gearbox It's Nicolai. I could definitely use the mutators to get the G1 to be what I want but having recently owned a G16 I'm holding out for something even more different.

Last edited by: craw on May 27, 2020, 8:57 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2020, 4:02 p.m.

The jump isn’t that big once the EXT and stays and selling the G16 are factored in. That Saturn 14 ST is looking mighty nice though  

A guy was racing a G19 with Effigear for WCDH a few seasons back. 

I contacted MOJO about a G16 Pinion but they talked me out of it. The Zerode bike would’ve been awesome with the idler pulley. Maybe Forbidden will do that with their plow bike 😂 

I really don’t believe that belts are the solution to gearboxes. Also probably are in need of electric shifting since so many oppose the twister.

May 28, 2020, 4:30 p.m.

The jump isn’t that big once the EXT and stays and selling the G16 are factored in. That Saturn 14 ST is looking mighty nice though  

A guy was racing a G19 with Effigear for WCDH a few seasons back. 

I contacted MOJO about a G16 Pinion but they talked me out of it. The Zerode bike would’ve been awesome with the idler pulley. Maybe Forbidden will do that with their plow bike 😂 

I really don’t believe that belts are the solution to gearboxes. Also probably are in need of electric shifting since so many oppose the twister.

All of that is a huge jump from buying $100 worth of dropouts. But I like your enthusiasm for rounding up! That's where new bikes come from!

I met that G19-Effigear guy two summers ago (surely he's the only one). Very cool bike. He said it was an incredible park bike (shifting without pedalling as a major selling point) but it sucked everywhere else.

Nicolai mentioned In their PB article that they were working on a gearbox so who knows maybe that'll be an option eventually? If they can get low enough drag, quiet operation and a trigger shifter it could be great. Though tbh I don't wreck derailleurs and my 11spd XT stuff is cheap to replace so I'm hardly losing sleep over gearboxes. Though a gearbox G1 would be great.

June 7, 2020, 5:41 a.m.

I ended up ordering a Cotic BFeMAX frame from the UK. I like the tubing in their SolarisMAX frame better, but the geo of the BFeMAX fit me/my needs better. The review over at Hardtail Party took care of my one concern, which was an overly stiff frame that would be a deal killer for me. I'm hoping the large size frame I get will be even more flexy under my ~190lbs than the small Steve rode when he did his review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnVF14VuKKE

My plan is to move the parts across from my current winter bike [Knolly Endo] and run the Cotic as a 27+ this winter. If I love that format great. If not it will end up a 29er with 2.6" tires next year.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFeMAX

I'll keep my custom Daambuilt HT setup with faster rolling rubber for bikepacking and more ambitious rides where covering bigger distance trumps max shreddiness and the Cotic will have aggressive knobbies for winter gnar.

Last edited by: Vikb on June 7, 2020, 6:50 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 7, 2020, 7:38 a.m.

Very cool, Vik! I like your plan for the different use cases for the new bike and the daambuilt.

June 7, 2020, 7:45 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Very cool, Vik! I like your plan for the different use cases for the new bike and the daambuilt.

Thanks. I spent most of this winter conflicted by loving the hardtail ride, but some times wanting faster rolling rubber and sometimes wanting aggressive knobbies. A second wheelset would be the cheaper way to go, but I like not having to mess with anything and this way I can have an even more aggressive geo on the Cotic without compromising the Daambuilt for less techy rides. #N+1forever

I will be selling the Knolly so at least the size of the MTB fleet will stay the same. ;-)

June 7, 2020, 8:47 a.m.

That new BFe Max looks good. I too was wondering about its stiffness compared to the SolarisMax. 

I just received and built up an Escapade, I think it is the same or similar blue and it is even better in person.

June 8, 2020, 12:23 p.m.

Amidst lockdown fever this accidentally happened to my bike: