NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

May 5, 2020, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: Chris_Mitchell

About to purchase a Chromag Primer. I was sad to notice the press fit BB - but realized I don't really care as long as it is quiet! (A noisy bike drives me mental). Anyone have any experience/ issues with this on a Primer? Also, I'm a 5'11'' rider going for a size M/L, but was curious if I should size up. Any insights or advice would be appreciated!

I have a large 2019 primer (I'm 186cm), went from ML rootdown and the large primer fits better. I've been running RF Next R cranks with the Race Face press fit BB with no issues.  I bought a quality machined set of installation adapters to ensure a alignment when pushing the BB in with the press, and voila. I built up the bike in September 2019 and rode through the sloppy, sloppy winter, and still quiet, spins well. The BB has held up very nicely. I don't wash my bike and when I do, I try to make sure that I don't spray water around the BB.

If you want to check sizing, you're welcome to throw a leg over mine, I'm in NV.

May 9, 2020, 9:33 a.m.

11 rides on my orange bike so far. I need to ride it more aggressively than the slayer, but when I do it’s mucho rewarding and fun and capable.  It’s shines on steep jank and flowy technical sections. I really missed having a 29r and now can’t see myself going back on any new bike in the future.

Maybe I’m just getting old and enjoying simpler things in life but there’s something more pure and true about a hardtail versus the modern carbon FS rat race these days.

May 10, 2020, 7:24 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Maybe I’m just getting old and enjoying simpler things in life but there’s something more pure and true about a hardtail versus the modern carbon FS rat race these days.

It's the killer geo. Makes a hardtail so much fun without holding you back too much. Our island trails are really HT friendly as well...techy, but never extended high speeds where having that soft back end of a full squish is quite nice. I love my 29er FS bike as well. I'm glad I don't have to choose, but if it came down to it I could ride my HT as my only MTB and not feel hard done by.

Great looking ride. I love Sam's work!

Last edited by: Vikb on May 10, 2020, 11:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2020, 8:28 a.m.

Posted Our island trails are really HT friendly as well...techy,

There is crew of 12 or more of us in nanaimo that ride hardtails on a regular basis. Three guys only have hardtails. Its a blast.

May 14, 2020, 7:19 p.m.

Just finished putting this together and took it on its first spin. Bit of a parts bin bike but new frame and new to me fork.

May 14, 2020, 8:28 p.m.

Sick! :D

May 14, 2020, 9:19 p.m.

Posted by: nobby

Just finished putting this together and took it on its first spin. Bit of a parts bin bike but new frame and new to me fork.

Hmmmm, your "parts bin bike" looks a lot like my "regular bike." Now I want to see your regular bike. 

How do you like it so far? Looks like good fun.

May 15, 2020, 6:35 a.m.

Super fun ride. I haven't ridden a hardtail since I was a kid and I love it. Most of what is on there I had decided was worn out at one point or another but kept it just in case I was in a pinch with a broken piece. Both the wheels are dented and untrue. As well, the tires that are on them wobble but for a second bike that is ok right. I just am surprised how quick this is.

May 21, 2020, 2:47 a.m.

New BFeMax from Cotic in the UK.

Approaching "Shut up and take my money" status...

May 21, 2020, 6:26 a.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

Looks real nice. Couple questions

What do y'all think about the 74 deg STA? It seems the brits like em that way, they designed my bootleg the  same.

What's the benifit to having one 853 tube and the rest "custom." Is it just so they can put a Reynolds 853 sticker on it?

May 21, 2020, 7:36 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: DanLees1978

Looks real nice. Couple questions

What do y'all think about the 74 deg STA? It seems the brits like em that way, they designed my bootleg the  same.

What's the benifit to having one 853 tube and the rest "custom." Is it just so they can put a Reynolds 853 sticker on it?

The tube set on this bike is designed to be stiffer and cheaper than the SolarisMAX. It also weighs considerably more. So it just depends what you are after in terms of priorities. The 74 deg STA is fine as the bike won't sag slacker when climbing and puts you into a good all around pedalling position. Keep in mind the geo chart is for a sagged bike not a static bike in case you are comparing to another company's product.

May 23, 2020, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: nobby

What size Stylus is that?

May 24, 2020, 9:49 a.m.

Rootdown vs primer?

Would anyone here spring for the primer? Anyone seen the finish on them? Is there a paint job that stands out for you? The plum clear coat sounds interesting....

May 24, 2020, 9:57 a.m.

I almost sold my Wideangle to build a Primer and I kind of regret not doing it, especially because the Wideangle is too small for me. The 27 plus idea is pretty tempting for a hard tail.

Aren't the Rootdown and Primer the same bike just Rootdown is Taiwan made and Primer is Canadian made?

May 24, 2020, 12:57 p.m.

Yes. From what I can tell with the updates to the 2020 Rootdown it’s the same as the primer from 2019+. The primer was slightly tweaked last model year.