NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

April 30, 2020, 11:06 a.m.

Yikes!

April 30, 2020, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Yikes!

Just get Marino to build you one, and you can taylor the CS length and anything else to your liking. They built a big chunk of those on-ones, which actually started life as Sick bikes but On One bought the stock when Sick couldn't meet their obligations.

April 30, 2020, 12:46 p.m.

Yeah for a hardtail Marino is on my list. 

Back in my FS list now too due to my COVID budget.

April 30, 2020, 1:06 p.m.

I went on that fuckyeahhardtail insta page and discovered the On-One Hello Dave - what do the resident bike design wizards make of that bike? 62 degree HA reminds me of an Evil w/Monster T, does that really ride well?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOHD/on-one-hello-dave-frame

For less than that you can get a fully custom ti frame from http://www.waltlytitanium.com/ choose your own everything.

April 30, 2020, 2:13 p.m.

Interesting.  Have you gotten pricing info form them?  I can't see even a ballpark price on their site.

Value on that On-One is piss-poor on this side of the pond it seems.

April 30, 2020, 4:57 p.m.

Interesting.  Have you gotten pricing info form them?  I can't see even a ballpark price on their site.

Value on that On-One is piss-poor on this side of the pond it seems.

Their base price Is around $800USD. Takes 30-45 days to produce once you've finalized a drawing.

April 30, 2020, 9:18 p.m.

Thumbs up man, thanks.  Did you have them do a bike for you?

May 1, 2020, 10:32 a.m.

Thumbs up man, thanks.  Did you have them do a bike for you?

Already did a road/gravel bike. My new progressive hardtail is being welded right now. Similar to my last one but enough design/geo adjustments to make it worth a fresh frame. I'll post when it's ready in a few weeks.

May 2, 2020, 10:11 a.m.

About to purchase a Chromag Primer. I was sad to notice the press fit BB - but realized I don't really care as long as it is quiet! (A noisy bike drives me mental). Anyone have any experience/ issues with this on a Primer? Also, I'm a 5'11'' rider going for a size M/L, but was curious if I should size up. Any insights or advice would be appreciated!

May 2, 2020, 3:13 p.m.

Posted by: craw

For less than that you can get a fully custom ti frame from http://www.waltlytitanium.com/ choose your own everything.

Thanks for the suggestion. Out of curiosity I emailed them the specs of an all mtn HT I'm keen on to see what they say. I've never had Ti and the prices that you quoted are reasonable.

May 2, 2020, 6:42 p.m.

Posted by: Chris_Mitchell

About to purchase a Chromag Primer. I was sad to notice the press fit BB - but realized I don't really care as long as it is quiet! (A noisy bike drives me mental). Anyone have any experience/ issues with this on a Primer? Also, I'm a 5'11'' rider going for a size M/L, but was curious if I should size up. Any insights or advice would be appreciated!

I'm an average 5'8" and found my medium Primer a bit short in the cockpit, over time. The M/L is a much better fit for me, so if possible I would suggest throwing a leg over both sizes in the Rootdown to see what works best for you -- I suspect you'd want to move to the L.

With regards to the PF92 bb, I was able to get mine to creak with a Shimano bb. This was after a particularly dusty and rough lift assisted day at the Whistler bike park though. Removing the bb, cleaning, and regreasing solved the issue. 

FWIW Chromag are pretty up front about their Taiwanese frames being more consistent in terms of overall build quality. I was told the Canadian made versions have more occasional 'quirks' in comparison, and that makes sense when you consider how they are individually hand crafted locally despite absolute artisan meticulousness

May 2, 2020, 10:05 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

when you consider how they are individually hand crafted locally by ex Rocky welders despite absolute artisan meticulousness

fyp....lol

Last edited by: tungsten on May 2, 2020, 10:07 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
May 4, 2020, 10:50 a.m.

I’m just shy of 5’11” and currently ride a M/L 2019 Rootdown. I have shorter legs and a longer torso. The M/L feels very short (reach of 457mm) compared to my full suspension bike (reach of 476) any time I’m out of the saddle and the trail turns downhill or gets janky. I am replacing it with a 2020 Rootdown in L. That’s a fairly big jump In length but I’m pretty confident it will be a better size for me. If just general trail bike I think the new M/L (which grew in length a bit from 2019 models) would be great. But if you’re riding much chunder then the L is probably worth a think.

Also, FWIW I have two other buddies around 5'11", both riding size Large Rootdowns (2019 and 2017) and both seem very happy with their sizing.

Last thing: no bb creak or noise to speak of to date.

May 4, 2020, 6:23 p.m.

The BB every Rootdown I have seen recently on Pinkbike has this as the BB from Wheels Manufacturing. Not a true press fit I don't think. 

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

May 4, 2020, 6:39 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

The BB every Rootdown I have seen recently on Pinkbike has this as the BB from Wheels Manufacturing. Not a true press fit I don't think. 

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

I'm running this one on my Rootdown with Turbine Cinch cranks. It spins like the day I bought (about a year ago) it and hasn't made a peep:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/bottom-brackets/mountain/pf41/Cinch30/BB92X30SS.html