NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

April 24, 2020, 3:26 p.m.

A couple from today. I’m figuring this bike out.

April 25, 2020, 12:43 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

That is one beauty of a ride! How does it ride/compare/make you feel aboard? 

I loved the feature on Naked Bicycles in Bike Mag a few issues ago. 

For those of you who are on IG there is an account called fuckyeahhardtail....that does truly deliver the goods.

April 25, 2020, 8:13 a.m.

I’ve been off hardtails for so long that it will take some time to adjust, especially given this bikes geo,  but preliminary thoughts are that there’s no perfect bike for any ride. Ignoring the obvious lack of rear suspension and that on faster stuff it’s going to feel more jarring, I’m happy to report that for such a long bike it has great climbing manners. In the janky slow techy stuff this bike shines -probably because of the wheel size. It’s long and slack and while I haven’t had it in anything gnarly yet, the semi-gnarly stuff I have had it in suggests that it will do well in the questionable stuff where rear suspension doesn’t come into play. Super lively. Nimble. Monster truck wheels. I just need to remember to be on the bars hard to keep the bike neutral -  it’s easier than I would have expected to lose the front end by taking a less aggressive stance (guessing because it’s long). It’ll probably be good for improving my body position in general. 

i think that it’s a rad bike. I’ve wanted one for so long and I’m stoked that I finally found a way to make it happen. I’m going to start a deep clean on the Slayer while In the honeymoon phase of riding the orange bike.

April 25, 2020, 5:30 p.m.

Heels down, wide knees, aggressive pressure on the bars.

Let 'er rip

April 25, 2020, 11:48 p.m.

it’s easier than I would have expected to lose the front end by taking a less aggressive stance (guessing because it’s long). It’ll probably be good for improving my body position in general. 

The short stays make this trait worse, geometry is all compromise.

April 26, 2020, 8:05 a.m.

I really dig the bright orange. Cool to see a bike that isn’t grey or black. This, coming from the guy with a brown bike.

Last edited by: gdharries on April 26, 2020, 8:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 26, 2020, 3:25 p.m.

Nice ride man. It's hard to make me like an orange bike but you did. I also like that you went for the straight top tube, I see many nakeds with an arching toptube, which I have never understood. Yours has really nice lines. What's goin on at the seat tube-seat stay interface? Looks interesting. 

Did you pick it up on Quadra?

April 27, 2020, 9:58 p.m.

I was looking forward to picking it up on Quadra but with Covid it just wasn’t an appropriate path. So we shipped it.

I got really lucky with this bike. It was Sams. Aside from some skuffs on the wheels you would never guess it was used. The only change I asked for was a new 12sp XT drivetrain and he was able to put that on. Fork is nearly new. Dropper just serviced. The thing was delivered 99% like it was new. Deep clean. I couldn’t believe it when I pulled it out of the box!

Also, the two things that I struggled with in a new bike - price of a new one and the year plus wait - were both addressed. It still look 3 or 4 months but that was manageable.

Plus, I’ve been cruising Nakeds website gallery for years - this bike was the one I lusted over most!!! I love the orange and blue. Given that it was Sams, it’s got the sweetest geo and all the blingy touches like Ti hardware and decals and two cages - it’s just perfect

Perfect size for me! EVERYTHING lined up. I had to jump at it. It was this bike or never Naked.

5 rides on it and each is getting better than the last. Thaads reminder up top for wide elbows has been really helpful as it keeps my body forward. The bike shreds as long as my weight is in the right place, but it’s less forgiving than I would have thought when body position is a bit off.

So I found my unicorn! So stoked to have it and I couldn’t be happier about how I ended up with it. I’m looking forward to heading to Quadra once this is all behind us to explore it.

Last edited by: Ddean on April 27, 2020, 10:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2020, 5:52 a.m.

Beautiful bike. Congrats. Sam does great work.

April 29, 2020, 9:53 a.m.

I was looking forward to picking it up on Quadra but with Covid it just wasn’t an appropriate path. So we shipped it.

I got really lucky with this bike. It was Sams. Aside from some skuffs on the wheels you would never guess it was used. The only change I asked for was a new 12sp XT drivetrain and he was able to put that on. Fork is nearly new. Dropper just serviced. The thing was delivered 99% like it was new. Deep clean. I couldn’t believe it when I pulled it out of the box!

Also, the two things that I struggled with in a new bike - price of a new one and the year plus wait - were both addressed. It still look 3 or 4 months but that was manageable.

Plus, I’ve been cruising Nakeds website gallery for years - this bike was the one I lusted over most!!! I love the orange and blue. Given that it was Sams, it’s got the sweetest geo and all the blingy touches like Ti hardware and decals and two cages - it’s just perfect

Perfect size for me! EVERYTHING lined up. I had to jump at it. It was this bike or never Naked.

5 rides on it and each is getting better than the last. Thaads reminder up top for wide elbows has been really helpful as it keeps my body forward. The bike shreds as long as my weight is in the right place, but it’s less forgiving than I would have thought when body position is a bit off.

So I found my unicorn! So stoked to have it and I couldn’t be happier about how I ended up with it. I’m looking forward to heading to Quadra once this is all behind us to explore it.

Awesome! That sounds reaaally good.

April 29, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

I went on that fuckyeahhardtail insta page and discovered the On-One Hello Dave - what do the resident bike design wizards make of that bike? 62 degree HA reminds me of an Evil w/Monster T, does that really ride well?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOHD/on-one-hello-dave-frame

April 29, 2020, 10:15 p.m.

My Chromag Surface

April 30, 2020, 3:05 a.m.

That Naked and the Surface are lovely!

RE: the Hello Dave, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vBlXYvWjQ looks good fun.

April 30, 2020, 6:45 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I went on that fuckyeahhardtail insta page and discovered the On-One Hello Dave - what do the resident bike design wizards make of that bike? 62 degree HA reminds me of an Evil w/Monster T, does that really ride well?

That HA might sound crazy but keep in mind with a hardtail the HA gets steeper as you go through the travel. 

To me the only number on that bike that concerns me is the chain stay. It's crazy long. All the other number looked fine.

April 30, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Just as a FYI I asked On One about the pricing on the Hello Dave. For some reason they won't deduct the VAT like other UK bike companies do and their shipping to Canada is expensive. So getting a Hello Dave here would be ~$1300CAD + GST/PST at the border. Not the usual sweet deal that On One frames are.