NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

April 9, 2020, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: Mic

The wideangle looks beautiful. The doctohawk too slack for my terrain. And an annual trip to big mountains does not justify such a bike. Am still riding my 26" stylus, have I mentioned that? Any reason for getting a new one, 'cept more fun?  

Plan is to get a new HT in 2021...either a 27.5 or a 29. Stylus (again) or a Stanton Switch9er. Cannot really decide.

Mic, Wideangle is great. It is the made in Taiwan version of the Samurai made in Squamish and  after a year can't tell the difference between the Samurai and the Wideangle. Supposedly you can run it with 26" wheels if your a retro grouch but haven't yet myself. Can run it mini plus size which I did over the winter. My Wideangle is a prototype and takes a max 27.5x2.6 in the rear though. Don't know if the newer versions go bigger in 27.5. Wonder if you can get a 26+ to work? And you ask if your old Stylus is still fun? Well according to endless stalking over 5 years of Pinkbike buy and sell 2007 to say 2009/10 Stylus frames or bikes are rare. Seen exactly 4 in 5 years. All the Stylus one's I keep seeing used are in the last 5 years.

Thanks for the info. Guess I ride my 26" Stylus into the ground or until I have a hard time finding spare tires. Oh my....

At times I would love to ride a longer bike that is a bit more stable at speed. The 26" Stylus does ride like a big BMX bike, which i like...but....you know. 

Tungsten.....alu does feel like cast iron. Steel is a bit more subtle. There is in my opinion a very real difference between the two materials and how they ride. 

But....compared to a fully a hardtail is a different ride altogether. Especially on techgnar (only know the tastes of Finale Ligure and the Alps).

April 9, 2020, 9:01 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

The wideangle looks beautiful. The doctohawk too slack for my terrain. And an annual trip to big mountains does not justify such a bike. Am still riding my 26" stylus, have I mentioned that? Any reason for getting a new one, 'cept more fun?  

Plan is to get a new HT in 2021...either a 27.5 or a 29. Stylus (again) or a Stanton Switch9er. Cannot really decide.

Mic, Wideangle is great. It is the made in Taiwan version of the Samurai made in Squamish and  after a year can't tell the difference between the Samurai and the Wideangle. Supposedly you can run it with 26" wheels if your a retro grouch but haven't yet myself. Can run it mini plus size which I did over the winter. My Wideangle is a prototype and takes a max 27.5x2.6 in the rear though. Don't know if the newer versions go bigger in 27.5. Wonder if you can get a 26+ to work? And you ask if your old Stylus is still fun? Well according to endless stalking over 5 years of Pinkbike buy and sell 2007 to say 2009/10 Stylus frames or bikes are rare. Seen exactly 4 in 5 years. All the Stylus one's I keep seeing used are in the last 5 years.

Thanks for the info. Guess I ride my 26" Stylus into the ground or until I have a hard time finding spare tires. Oh my....

At times I would love to ride a longer bike that is a bit more stable at speed. The 26" Stylus does ride like a big BMX bike, which i like...but....you know. 

Tungsten.....alu does feel like cast iron. Steel is a bit more subtle. There is in my opinion a very real difference between the two materials and how they ride. 

But....compared to a fully a hardtail is a different ride altogether. Especially on techgnar (only know the tastes of Finale Ligure and the Alps).

Okay Mic, there is a little known detail about the Chromags from 2007. My 2007 Samurai was built with enough clearance to fit big as 26' tires. Extra benefit? Found you could run 27.5 wheels mounting a roughly 27.5 by say 2.2-2.3  tire.  Not saying it can't be done with a Stylus from 2007 though I think I recall seeing it done somewhere. Can't recall. So if you have access to a qr rear in 27.5  put it in and see what happens.

April 10, 2020, 8:37 a.m.

Plan is to get a new HT in 2021...either a 27.5 or a 29. 

I also am planning on building up a hardtail and can't decide between 27.5 or 29. I have a longish travel 29er now that I really like, but the idea of a playful HT is appealing.

April 10, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

I think that 29rs have revived hardtails and if you look at Naked and perhaps some others who are focused on HTs and have the ability to customize at will, I see that at least some folks are consistently settling on 29+ as the optimal set up

I think that you should def go 29 over 27.5 these days if you’re on the fence and are not set on 27.5

Last edited by: Ddean on April 10, 2020, 10:42 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 10, 2020, 5:55 p.m.

Some awesome bikes here guys, stoked to see so many hardtail afficionados here!

Since I started the thread this year, I figure I'd step up my game :)

I've been dabbling with a few full suspension bikes the past year and it's been a great experience to see what they're like these days (short answer, phenomenal and super capable both up and down). I was particularly impressed with the newer geometry and felt like getting back on my older Surface was a bit of a step back in time. So I made the decision to go back to one bike for a while (also driven by time, finances, other hobbies, etc.) and upgraded to a newer Surface when a large frame popped up for sale.

Built it up using the parts I had with the exception of the wheels, those were a new purchase as well. Shakedown ride on the mellow trails around here this morning, and I'm smitten :)

Surface v.2:

Specs:

Chromag Surface - Large

Onyx Vesper hubs laced to DT Swiss EX511 rims

MRP Ribbon Coil forks at 150mm (46mm offset)

Chromag cockpit

Hope brakes - X2 rear; V4 front - stainless lines

XTR 11sp drivetrain with Garbaruk 10-50 cassette

Fox Transfer 150mm seatpost

Chromag Trailmaster seat

RaceFace Turbine cranks; 32 tooth oval chainring

Chromag Scarab pedals

Hope BB/headset

April 10, 2020, 7:04 p.m.

So many rad hardtails. Here's mine:

Vassago Radimus Ti

Vassago Radimus Ti
Fox Factory 34 140mm
Stan's Baron / White Industries CLD wheels
XT/XTR drivetrain w/ a OneUp 30t oval ring & Box 11-50 cassette
M8000 brakes, 180mm rotors F/R
OneUp dropper, 170mm (tempted to bump it up to 210)

Last edited by: [email protected] on April 10, 2020, 8:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image
April 10, 2020, 10:50 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I think that 29rs have revived hardtails and if you look at Naked and perhaps some others who are focused on HTs and have the ability to customize at will, I see that at least some folks are consistently settling on 29+ as the optimal set up

I think that you should def go 29 over 27.5 these days if you’re on the fence and are not set on 27.5

Love my 27.5 HT. Such a great ride. 29 is def easier to ride as the big wheels roll over so much but at the end of the day, the 27 is my preference. Feels more exact and sharper handling.

That chromag and vassago are really nice lookin btw. Almost make me want a 29

Last edited by: RAHrider on April 10, 2020, 10:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 11, 2020, 12:20 p.m.

That’s the nicest surface I’ve seen. Well done

April 11, 2020, 7:51 p.m.

Had my hardtail all fendered up as my winter bike. Figured the creek coming from the Bb was just winter doing its thing. Took out the Bb and greased the shit out of it and realize the sound is not bb but titanium crack creak. What you guys think, is the little mark. Along the weld my culprit crack?  And I was having so much fun riding it again too....

Last edited by: RAHrider on April 11, 2020, 7:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 11, 2020, 9:54 p.m.

I can't quite tellbut Ti and steel are flexy enough that you should be able to lean on the crank and the top of the seat tube. If it's cracked you should see it open up as you bounce on it...

That's how I confirmed my first generation steel Ragley was cracked at the sea tube/seat stay weld.

Now I've got a more over built NS Surge with stays that are welded to the seat and top tubes similar to a Stylus.

Bit more stiff but I got gun shy after the Raglay cracked.

April 12, 2020, 4:25 a.m.

Penetrating marker fluid will show you.

April 12, 2020, 8:35 p.m.

I picked up this Honzo at the end of last summer. Surprisingly capable on all the trails Squamish and the north shore have to offer. This weekend I swapped out the stock 120mm Revelation for a 140mm z2.

April 12, 2020, 9:35 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

?

What do you mean, penetrating marker fluid?

I tried flexing it and couldn't really tell.

April 12, 2020, 10:56 p.m.

Posted by: RideStrength

I picked up this Honzo at the end of last summer. Surprisingly capable on all the trails Squamish and the north shore have to offer. This weekend I swapped out the stock 120mm Revelation for a 140mm z2.

Good idea on the fork. The honzo is best at 140. Great ripper. Nice ride.

April 14, 2020, 4:22 a.m.

Basically penetrating ink that will work it’s way in to any cracks and make them visible.

https://www.dymark.com.au/categories/markingproducts/inksdyes/flawcheksystem

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: Heinous

?

What do you mean, penetrating marker fluid?

I tried flexing it and couldn't really tell.