NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

April 6, 2020, 10:26 p.m.

Fuck that thing looks slaaaaaaaaaack

April 6, 2020, 10:35 p.m.

April 7, 2020, 12:22 a.m.

I figured since I started these threads I'd throw my bikes in the mix again.

My Kona Explosif.

April 7, 2020, 12:27 a.m.

Here's a couple of my Wideangle :)

April 7, 2020, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: heathen

That BB drop made me think it was 27.5 plus compatible. But sadly it is not.

What's the problem? Usually a 29 that fits 2.6" tires will fit a 27 x 2.8" without issues.

They used a very tight yoke and the seat stay is super narrow. I test fitted a 2.8 HD on 40mm rim and it was too close for comfort. Any rim wobble and it would rub.

April 7, 2020, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Pretty tempting, right? The tube spec in the rear looks super comfortable - I've really disliked all the slack, great geo steel hardtails that have made mass production with full on huck level tubing in the back, I've fouond they ride super harsh and dead for steel.

I'm a little surprised this doesn't come up more. 

I had a stylus and then a rootdown, which of course are both heavy duty all mountain type frames so the burliness is intentional, but man they both felt like they were made of cast iron. I think the surface and wide-angle are probably better. 

After recently switching to the chameleon carbon as above it feels positively plush compared to those two frames, and it is by no means a flexy flier.

April 7, 2020, 11:36 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: tashi

You bash your ring every ride around Victoria? Do you run a big ring or super low BB?

I like riding janky tech, which means big odd shaped rocks and the older unmaintained trails. Getting up and over stuff requires momentum so that's a great way to drive the ring or hopefully the bash guard into something hard. For the new HT I'm looking at its first year it will get run as a 27+ since I have those parts available and later it will get switched to a 29er. In 27+ mode I'll be particularly concerned about hitting the ring since that bike will sit lower than as a 29er. The Norco Torrent has a pretty small BB drop for a 29er. A reviewer complained, but that's a feature I think I'd like.

It just doesn't make sense for me to buy a bike I can't mount a taco bash to when that's such cheap/easy protection. I keep my bikes 4+ years and every time I get rid of a frame I'm amazed at how chewed up the bashguard is.

Have you ever damaged a chainring when you weren't using a bash guard Vik?  I like the same type of riding you do, and occasionally hit my chain/chainring on something (pretty low BB on the Fugitive).  I don't run a bash guard, and have never damaged a chainring or crank by hitting it on something. I don't run carbon cranks though.

April 7, 2020, 12:58 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Have you ever damaged a chainring when you weren't using a bash guard Vik?  I like the same type of riding you do, and occasionally hit my chain/chainring on something (pretty low BB on the Fugitive).  I don't run a bash guard, and have never damaged a chainring or crank by hitting it on something. I don't run carbon cranks though.

I have definitely damaged a chainring before I ran taco bash guards. Since then no. On my HT after my 2nd ride I realized forgoing a bashguard was a mistake so I put one on.

April 7, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

Yeah, the surface looks to be the comfy choice. I think with hardtails the dropper post has a major downside of providing basically zero flex, whereas on my hardtails previously a nice 27.2 post provided loads of comfortable flex. Saddle designs may catch up with more using elastomers etc to account for it.

On the bash guard topic - hell yes. I run a higher BB on my HT’s due to running 180mm cranks for SS, but even so, this is both unpleasant and expensive.

April 8, 2020, 6:42 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

They used a very tight yoke and the seat stay is super narrow. I test fitted a 2.8 HD on 40mm rim and it was too close for comfort. Any rim wobble and it would rub.

Dang! Well thanks for the info. You saved me some time and hassle.

April 8, 2020, 6:45 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I'm a little surprised this doesn't come up more. 

Ya overbuilt frames ride like crap. When you get steel frame that flexes nicely it's such an amazing ride. Sadly with so many of the nice HT options being rare you can't demo and you end up having to play detective based on specs, reviews and such trying to determine how it will ride under you.

April 8, 2020, 10:41 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Yeah, the surface looks to be the comfy choice. I think with hardtails the dropper post has a major downside of providing basically zero flex, whereas on my hardtails previously a nice 27.2 post provided loads of comfortable flex. Saddle designs may catch up with more using elastomers etc to account for it.

On the bash guard topic - hell yes. I run a higher BB on my HT’s due to running 180mm cranks for SS, but even so, this is both unpleasant and expensive.

Ouch! Looks like you sheared the BB axle. That takes some serious force. Well done!  (edit: I see it is just the bolt that sheared. Still, well done!)

Last edited by: skooks on April 8, 2020, 10:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 8, 2020, 11:35 a.m.

The wideangle looks beautiful. The doctohawk too slack for my terrain. And an annual trip to big mountains does not justify such a bike. Am still riding my 26" stylus, have I mentioned that? Any reason for getting a new one, 'cept more fun?  

Plan is to get a new HT in 2021...either a 27.5 or a 29. Stylus (again) or a Stanton Switch9er. Cannot really decide.

April 8, 2020, 8:51 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

The wideangle looks beautiful. The doctohawk too slack for my terrain. And an annual trip to big mountains does not justify such a bike. Am still riding my 26" stylus, have I mentioned that? Any reason for getting a new one, 'cept more fun?  

Plan is to get a new HT in 2021...either a 27.5 or a 29. Stylus (again) or a Stanton Switch9er. Cannot really decide.

Mic, Wideangle is great. It is the made in Taiwan version of the Samurai made in Squamish and  after a year can't tell the difference between the Samurai and the Wideangle. Supposedly you can run it with 26" wheels if your a retro grouch but haven't yet myself. Can run it mini plus size which I did over the winter. My Wideangle is a prototype and takes a max 27.5x2.6 in the rear though. Don't know if the newer versions go bigger in 27.5. Wonder if you can get a 26+ to work? And you ask if your old Stylus is still fun? Well according to endless stalking over 5 years of Pinkbike buy and sell 2007 to say 2009/10 Stylus frames or bikes are rare. Seen exactly 4 in 5 years. All the Stylus one's I keep seeing used are in the last 5 years.

April 8, 2020, 11:47 p.m.

But, .....but, does it ride like "cast iron"? I gotta' know before I builds mine up 'cause I were bouncing down a trail on my fully today thinking, "man, a hardtail's gonna' kick my ass on this shit"......lol