NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

March 31, 2020, 4:05 p.m.

On the other hand,  I suspect the crank spider/ chainring would be stronger than a set of iscg mounts anyways on a big hit. With 1x rings and chains constantly on the outer (only) ring there isnt really much risk getting hung up on obstacles.  

I find I hit my pedals significantly more than my chain + ring combo.

March 31, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

Sometimes I feel like the last person using a crank mounted bash. I tried a taco, and liked how easy it was to clean the ring, but my frames warranty doesn't cover damage caused to the ISCG tabs by an impact.

The only real downside I can see is the 30t max chainring on a 104bcd crank.

March 31, 2020, 9:52 p.m.

I've gone bash less for the past 2-3 years, no big issues really and I will tag a rock or root on my ring/chain once in a while. 

I had planned to give these guys a try if I couldn't get my 64bcd 28t ring to clear on my Trance -- it barely works with a stack of crank axle spacers.  I still may after this Covid business eases up.

They do a 26 or 28t on 104bcd with an integrated bash guard which spaces the chainring over far enough to clear the chainring bolt. The overall effective chainline is probably better for real world use too.

https://usamadeco.com/collections/sharktooth-pro-104-bcd-integrated-guard

April 1, 2020, 7:02 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Sometimes I feel like the last person using a crank mounted bash. I tried a taco, and liked how easy it was to clean the ring, but my frames warranty doesn't cover damage caused to the ISCG tabs by an impact.

The only real downside I can see is the 30t max chainring on a 104bcd crank.

All my cranks are splined and I run a 28T ring on my MTBs so going back to a spider crank is not appealing if the only reason is to get a bashguard. I'll just skip the Chromag Rootdown. I thought someone might have a cunning way around the PF92 BB. I've used ISCG mount bashguards for years and tagged a lot of rocks, but never damaged the frame. Whatever works though. I'm not riding a bike without a bashguard. I ride too far from home to want to do the walk of shame back.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 1, 2020, 7:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 3, 2020, 11:02 a.m.

A little late to the party.

Been on this honzo for 3 maybe 4 years?

27.5+ shoehorned in there, WTB Vigilantes with cush core front and rear.

Roach pad cable management solution.

2 degree works headset.

PNW post w/ Loam Lever

Ive git a chalk bag up on the bars for pump/snacks/tool/road pop.

honzo

150mm Yari chassis with some magic in the cartridge

Super fun, it replaced a 26" chromag stylus, and subsequently I sold my Banshee rune as well.

This is the only mtb in the stable at the moment. Thinking about throwing a rigid fork and 29+ on the front for a change, maybe going into the pain cave and single speed it as well.

April 3, 2020, 9:48 p.m.

Posted by: ken-leggatt

Not the best picture, but this is the original Wideangle.  Nothing but fun on this.

Wideangle

Hmm...that is? Made here or overseas?

April 3, 2020, 9:59 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Question for folks on Chromags...I've been looking at a Rootdown and I can get past the PF BB, but my one concern is that I can't figure out a way to mount a taco bash guard on the frame since there are no ISCG tabs and no threaded BB which allows you to mount a ISCG adapter. Our trails are really rocky so I have a taco bash on all my bikes. My cranks are all the splined variety so no crank mounted bashguards either.

Any solutions I am missing other than buy non-splined crank and mount a chainring style bash guard to it?

Had a 2007 Samurai that didn't have the ISCG tabs with threaded BB. So would have to use the adaptor. Downside as I discovered with a Taco bash and the ISCG adaptor plate  The thing moves around when you clip rocks and such. Better off with a proper crank mounted bash guard and either a narrow wide ring or an upper guide mounted using the adaptor.

April 3, 2020, 10:01 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: Vikb

Question for folks on Chromags...I've been looking at a Rootdown and I can get past the PF BB, but my one concern is that I can't figure out a way to mount a taco bash guard on the frame since there are no ISCG tabs and no threaded BB which allows you to mount a ISCG adapter. Our trails are really rocky so I have a taco bash on all my bikes. My cranks are all the splined variety so no crank mounted bashguards either.

Any solutions I am missing other than buy non-splined crank and mount a chainring style bash guard to it?

My Wideangle has a BSA BB but no ISCG05 tabs. I have no idea when Chromag stopped putting tabs on their Taiwanese frames but it was a stupid cost savings measure if you ask me. Good news they are steel frames so you can just get a local frame builder to slap some on.

Side note, anyone here have a connection to Chromag they should ask then to fix this error and start specing with tabs again.

Still mount them to the Stylus. Interestingly my 2007 Samurai doesn't have the ISCG tabs while the 2007 Stylus had them.

April 5, 2020, 7:49 p.m.

Anyone here riding a Norco Torrent?

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/all-mountain/torrent-ht-steel/torrent-ht-s-frame/

April 5, 2020, 8:42 p.m.

Pretty tempting, right? The tube spec in the rear looks super comfortable - I've really disliked all the slack, great geo steel hardtails that have made mass production with full on huck level tubing in the back, I've fouond they ride super harsh and dead for steel.

April 5, 2020, 10:59 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Pretty tempting, right? The tube spec in the rear looks super comfortable - I've really disliked all the slack, great geo steel hardtails that have made mass production with full on huck level tubing in the back, I've fouond they ride super harsh and dead for steel.

IMO I feel these Torrents missed the mark on the complete builds. Frame only value isn't great either. There's nothing construction wise (geometry is 'free') that justifies why this costs over 40% more than a Honzo ST frame ($699cdn with more complex sliding drops).

In a blind test I don't expect 98% to be able to tell the ride quality of this Torrent over any other steel or even aluminum hardtail in the same category.

I'm personally tempted by the Cotic Solaris Max, really progressive all around geo built around a reasonable 140mm fork, lightweight for burly steel, built with fancy Reynolds 853. It's priced right in the same ballpark as this Torrent and the Rootdown.

April 6, 2020, 7:17 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

IMO I feel these Torrents missed the mark on the complete builds. Frame only value isn't great either. There's nothing construction wise (geometry is 'free') that justifies why this costs over 40% more than a Honzo ST frame ($699cdn with more complex sliding drops).

In a blind test I don't expect 98% to be able to tell the ride quality of this Torrent over any other steel or even aluminum hardtail in the same category.

I'm personally tempted by the Cotic Solaris Max, really progressive all around geo built around a reasonable 140mm fork, lightweight for burly steel, built with fancy Reynolds 853. It's priced right in the same ballpark as this Torrent and the Rootdown.

I was keen on the COTIC, but that super slack STA is bugging even me and I am not a steep STA die hard, but when you look at the geo chart with a 140mm fork and the sagged STA 73.4 deg [so it's ~72 deg unsagged] and the CS are quite long. Both are personal preference so you might want a super slack STA and long CS. I'm kind of hoping the SolarisMAX gets an update this year. 

The Honzo geo has nothing on the Torrent so I can't really compare them and it really doesn't matter how cheap Kona sells them for.  I agree though if the Honzo ST geo is what you are after it's a great deal. It just doesn't interest me.

At $1K I have no issue with the price of the Torrent. It's not like Norco will be selling bucket loads of them so I don't begrudge them a reasonable mark up. That's the same price as a Surly frame or most of the other comparable steel hardtails I've looked at. I'd rather companies take a chance on a niche bike and charge what they need to make it rationale then decide not to bother because they can't hit the lowest price point in that segment.

April 6, 2020, 7:20 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

PB has one for review and should release their take soon. I got a custom steel HT made last year and intentionally went for as flexible a frame as we could without being stupid. I love how that bike rides. The skinny seat stays on the Torrent have potential. So far it's at the top of my list for a new HT frame this year. I'm hoping there are a few more new frame dropped or existing frames updated before I pull the trigger.

April 6, 2020, 8:24 a.m.

Rootdown isn't "much more" than a Honzo at $870, Torrent isn't "much more" than a Rootdown at $999, but wait, how the heck did we get to $1000 for an offshore built hardtail?

April 6, 2020, 9:32 a.m.

Has the Torrent frame only price gone up? I recall it being basically the same price as a Rootdown.

I am not sure why you would choose the Torrent over the Rootdown given the price difference.

Edit: yes, it did go up. It was $899 when they launched it. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-norco-bicycles-tests-riders-mettle-with-new-torrent-steel-hardtail.html

Last edited by: D_C_ on April 6, 2020, 9:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.