NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

March 3, 2020, 2:23 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Just played around in Superstar's site... £300 for UPS shipping (only option) on a £50 headset to Canada

Holy cow. 

I live in Central Europe, shipping for me was 5 gbp pre brexit, and no duties. 

Sorry to hear that this is so ridiculously expensive for you guys. Wasn't aware.

March 4, 2020, 10:04 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I cant wait until its in my hands and I can take pics. So hot. Ive wanted one for so long. Its half art half bike for me.

If you can, you should go pick it up in person on Quadra. They have some of the most fun trails on earth. Morning Beer is perhaps my favorite trail of all time. Would make for a great first ride on your rig.

March 6, 2020, 3:32 p.m.

I had a new rootdown for the 2019 edition of this thread, hope I can post again in this one soon. 

I disassembled the bike and put the frame up for sale (shameless plug). It is rad, but too much overlap with my full suspension bike in my case. I have a 7 year old that's into the pump track and mild trails, and I want to do more more gravel exploration type riding this year, so I'm going to move towards something a little more... XC, for lack of a better term.

March 9, 2020, 7:42 a.m.

Mk1 Rootdown, Pike, Reverb, XT/SLX drivetrain, XT 4 Pots, Chromag Bar, Stem and Saddle, Minions...

No plans to change anything apart from I have a Brand X dropper to go on when the reverb inevitably dies.

Rootdown

March 22, 2020, 9:02 p.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

Mk1 Rootdown, Pike, Reverb, XT/SLX drivetrain, XT 4 Pots, Chromag Bar, Stem and Saddle, Minions...

No plans to change anything apart from I have a Brand X dropper to go on when the reverb inevitably dies.

Rootdown

Nice ride. Good call on the reverb. I don't think they are worth rebuilding anymore. Fewest miles before they need service and one moderately bad crash and you're leaking oil and riding with the post stuck up or down. No trailside MacGyver for those. 

Just took my own hardtail out for a spin after a couple of months on the Fs. Wow, it was so fast feeling! But strava showed me it was actually not as fast as it seemed. Close but not as fast. But if you ever want to feel like you are riding on the edge, ride your HT and near FS speeds - What a blast. Sometimes you forget the pleasure of a good ol fashioned hard tail rip.

March 23, 2020, 5:26 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Just took my own hardtail out for a spin after a couple of months on the Fs. Wow, it was so fast feeling! But strava showed me it was actually not as fast as it seemed. Close but not as fast. But if you ever want to feel like you are riding on the edge, ride your HT and near FS speeds - What a blast. Sometimes you forget the pleasure of a good ol fashioned hard tail rip.

I parked my fully in Oct and have been just riding my Chromag ever since. Racked up 780km. Blew the rear rim up on the Chromag and the weather is mint so I pulled my Range off the shelf. I am about five rides in on the Range now and I KOM a steep trail yesterday. Riding the hardtail really sharpens your skills so much. #hardtailskeepyouhonest

March 28, 2020, 10:47 p.m.

Not the best picture, but this is the original Wideangle.  Nothing but fun on this.

Wideangle

March 29, 2020, 6:14 a.m.

Question for folks on Chromags...I've been looking at a Rootdown and I can get past the PF BB, but my one concern is that I can't figure out a way to mount a taco bash guard on the frame since there are no ISCG tabs and no threaded BB which allows you to mount a ISCG adapter. Our trails are really rocky so I have a taco bash on all my bikes. My cranks are all the splined variety so no crank mounted bashguards either.

Any solutions I am missing other than buy non-splined crank and mount a chainring style bash guard to it?

March 29, 2020, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Question for folks on Chromags...I've been looking at a Rootdown and I can get past the PF BB, but my one concern is that I can't figure out a way to mount a taco bash guard on the frame since there are no ISCG tabs and no threaded BB which allows you to mount a ISCG adapter. Our trails are really rocky so I have a taco bash on all my bikes. My cranks are all the splined variety so no crank mounted bashguards either.

Any solutions I am missing other than buy non-splined crank and mount a chainring style bash guard to it?

My Wideangle has a BSA BB but no ISCG05 tabs. I have no idea when Chromag stopped putting tabs on their Taiwanese frames but it was a stupid cost savings measure if you ask me. Good news they are steel frames so you can just get a local frame builder to slap some on.

Side note, anyone here have a connection to Chromag they should ask then to fix this error and start specing with tabs again.

March 29, 2020, 10:15 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: Vikb

My Wideangle has a BSA BB but no ISCG05 tabs. I have no idea when Chromag stopped putting tabs on their Taiwanese frames but it was a stupid cost savings measure if you ask me. Good news they are steel frames so you can just get a local frame builder to slap some on.

Side note, anyone here have a connection to Chromag they should ask then to fix this error and start specing with tabs again.

Interesting.... Mine has tabs for a removable ISCG05 adapter.  Chromag used to supply that with the frames. However, I am not running a guard on the HT and I ride some pretty rocky stuff.  I haven't bashed the chainring too often.

March 29, 2020, 2:14 p.m.

Given the cost to get ISCG tabs welded on a frame and the frame repowdercoated it just makes sense to buy something else that doesn't need to be modded from new. I'm not sure you can weld ISCG tabs to a PF92 BB shell, but if you are going to that level of modification you can get a custom taco bash put on.

March 30, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

I have a Black Spire bash on my Chameleon which is BSA and no tabs. They are readily available. https://www.blackspire.com/product/bruiser/

They make an ISCG adaptor too. Shit out of luck with press fit though.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on March 30, 2020, 8:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 30, 2020, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Yes that's the problem. You can use an adaptor with a  threaded BB, but I don't see a practical solution for a PF BB other than new cranks and a spider mounted chainring style bash guard.

March 30, 2020, 4:46 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I have a Black Spire bash on my Chameleon which is BSA and no tabs. They are readily available. https://www.blackspire.com/product/bruiser/

I saw the BSA adapter but I fear a good hit would spin it. I would hate to have a ride cut short due to that.

CHROMAG PUT ISCG05 MOUNTS ON ALL YOUR BIKES!!!!!

March 30, 2020, 5:44 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

I saw the BSA adapter but I fear a good hit would spin it. I would hate to have a ride cut short due to that.

CHROMAG PUT ISCG05 MOUNTS ON ALL YOUR BIKES!!!!!

We've got two MRP ISBG05 threaded BB adapters on our bikes. I know mine gets one or more solid hits each ride and it hasn't moved. ISBG tabs are better, but I can live with the adapter for frames that don't have e'm.