NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Sept. 12, 2020, 7:12 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: thaaad

You guys should check out the fuckyeahhardtail Instagram account if you're in to that. 

https://instagram.com/fuckyeahhardtail?igshid=nf771mebrl5

That's a cool account. Funny there's one in there running a Trust fork. Wasn't the one specific thing testers all agreed on was that the Trust was not good at slappy landings?

Can verify that the Trust Message is not good at slappy landings but I don't think it is a problem really as you can control flat landings to feel less harsh at the front usually.  

The main problem with the fork imo is that it excels on smooth flow trails and jumps (it makes a surprisingly good jump fork), but on those trails, you don't really need suspension at all!  On rough janky stuff, it's not good.  

I've just ordered a new coil fork to replace the Message as I realise how much I miss the comfort up front and ability to ride the fork occasionally over rough bits.  The Message will hang on my wall as a piece of mtb history.  It may be put on another bike in the future though as it does suit a hardtail frame well.  I'd never bother putting it on a sus frame.

Sept. 14, 2020, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

Posted by: thaaad

You guys should check out the fuckyeahhardtail Instagram account if you're in to that. 

https://instagram.com/fuckyeahhardtail?igshid=nf771mebrl5

That's a cool account. Funny there's one in there running a Trust fork. Wasn't the one specific thing testers all agreed on was that the Trust was not good at slappy landings?

Can verify that the Trust Message is not good at slappy landings but I don't think it is a problem really as you can control flat landings to feel less harsh at the front usually.  

The main problem with the fork imo is that it excels on smooth flow trails and jumps (it makes a surprisingly good jump fork), but on those trails, you don't really need suspension at all!  On rough janky stuff, it's not good.  

I've just ordered a new coil fork to replace the Message as I realise how much I miss the comfort up front and ability to ride the fork occasionally over rough bits.  The Message will hang on my wall as a piece of mtb history.  It may be put on another bike in the future though as it does suit a hardtail frame well.  I'd never bother putting it on a sus frame.

Which coil fork did you order and why? I've got a new FS frame on the way and I'm trying to decide what fork should go where.  My 160 Helm 29 air is amazing. Maybe I should get a coil Helm to go with? Reviews of the Helm coil all mention how linear it is, while reviews of the new coil Z1 don't.

Sept. 14, 2020, 11:25 a.m.

Which coil fork did you order and why? I've got a new FS frame on the way and I'm trying to decide what fork should go where.  My 160 Helm 29 air is amazing. Maybe I should get a coil Helm to go with? Reviews of the Helm coil all mention how linear it is, while reviews of the new coil Z1 don't.

Which travel numbers are you wanting to hit? Is coil 100% choice?

Sept. 14, 2020, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Which travel numbers are you wanting to hit? Is coil 100% choice?

I'm not set on a coil fork. Coil for the bike for sure. But for the fork so far air has served me well. 160 adjustable to 170 ideally.

Sept. 14, 2020, 3:58 p.m.

I've got a coil Marzocchi 380 you can put on that bad boy.

Last edited by: thaaad on Sept. 14, 2020, 3:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 15, 2020, 2:10 a.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

Which coil fork did you order and why? I've got a new FS frame on the way and I'm trying to decide what fork should go where. My 160 Helm 29 air is amazing. Maybe I should get a coil Helm to go with? Reviews of the Helm coil all mention how linear it is, while reviews of the new coil Z1 don't.

I've ordered a Marzocchi Z1 coil partly due to cost, and because I had a load of them back in the 2000's so there's a bit of nostalgic value. I nearly went for the Ohlins rxf but not convinced it's worth the the price difference from the Marzocchi. The MRP Ribbon looks good too but I wanted 36mm stanchions (purely for vanity/aesthetic purposes).  I can live with the extra weight.

Last edited by: Tremeer023 on Sept. 15, 2020, 2:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 16, 2020, 7:43 a.m.

Posted by: gdharries

This also makes me miss mine terribly.

A steel HT is the perfect excuse for a 2nd/backup/spare/guest bike.

Sept. 16, 2020, 3:09 p.m.

Checking in and stoked to see the bike updates here.  Sweet new Cotic, Vik, and that Arcturian looks awesome and no lack of attention on that beast I reckon. :)  I'm sidelined for a bit with a fractured metacarpal (hand), bummer as this is prime riding season when we're getting the first rains on the dry summer trails..  Good opportunity to take the bike apart, service forks, brakes, etc, and throw the winter tires on.  Should be back in action mid-October, keep 'em coming all!

Sept. 16, 2020, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If you REALLY loved yourself, er, your guests, you'd have a spare bike in ti. The law of hospitality or something. Wait was that Game of Thrones?

Sept. 16, 2020, 5:05 p.m.

Strangely, the guest/spare steel ht ended up as my primary bike...

Sept. 16, 2020, 8:57 p.m.

Yeah totally. Having a second bike saves me a few weeks of dead space every year. It also gives you time to sort stuff out more economically than if you need a broken bike working again ASAP.

Sept. 16, 2020, 9:13 p.m.

N + 1

Oct. 16, 2020, 3:30 p.m.

That's a pretty reasonable price for a plus tired HT

Oct. 16, 2020, 4:16 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i'm interested in having a second bike again, and thinking of a low cost hardtail with 2.8 650b tires. the Commencal Meta HT AM looks good to me. i'm not keen on a purely winch and plummet style hardtail with extreme geometry as i'm thinking of a bike for more mellow rides. anyone else looking at this bike, or own one? i don't think they are out in the wild just yet but i may be wrong.

https://www.commencalcanada.com/meta-ht-am-essential-gun-metal-2021-c2x31927678

I don't know the Commencal line up real well, but here are some reviews that I think are for this frame:

HTP First look: https://youtu.be/tCqFeCZgBPg

HTP Review: https://youtu.be/CjcRbuNxSW8

Last edited by: Vikb on Oct. 16, 2020, 4:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 16, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

I have a 650b hardtail with similar geometry. My top tube is a bit longer and headtube a bit slacker but I bet the ride is pretty similar. I dont have + tires but with a set of appropriate sized cushcore, it would be a blast. Especially for wet weather. I recently got a 29er hardtail and was worried my 650 would be "made obsolete." Nothing could be further from the truth. The 74 deg STA is fine IMO on a hardtail. I bet it would be a ton of fun and capable enough to handle most of the shore. It just needs the right rider. If all you want to do is sit in the middle of the bike and have the geo and suspension do everything, its not the right one. But if you want to move around a lot, get out over the back, bunny hop and connect trail features, I suspect that bike will do it (with cushcore).