NSMB 2020 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

May 7, 2020, 9:56 p.m.

I was so close to ordering  a Fugitive LT Builder ed the week the lockdown etc all hit the fan. I'm glad I didn't, but it's still top of my list for do it all rigs.

May 8, 2020, 10:57 a.m.

I'm also on a 2015 Process 153 DL and noticed the Knolly frames would take all of my parts. 

I came across a 2015 XL On-One Codiene 27.5 on Facebook marketplace for $120 and have all of the original Process DL parts to put on it now (everything but the seat post will fit). I'll be able to see if I like a slightly longer frame for cheap, and have a nice bike to sell to one of my two tall buddies that are looking to upgrade from really old bikes this spring.

May 8, 2020, 1:30 p.m.

yup, a Knolly or a GG Mega Trail or an Instinct would all pick up my components from my unrecognisable-to-it's-former-self Process153 - I'd really just have to know I was going to have to pony up for a new rear shock and redish or swap out a non-boost rear hub

May 9, 2020, 8:19 p.m.

First ride out today in a long time. I am no longer thinking about any other frame.

First day on the Box One drivetrain. I probably should have ordered two drivetrains, initial impressions are good.

I picked up a used coil shock to try out on the rear too, but it feels pretty good as is. Coil might make it feel exactly like my demo. Coil spring and avalanche damper up front on both bikes

May 9, 2020, 11:27 p.m.

That bike looks like pure fun. Pics on the mountain always tell a better story.

What's the philosophy with running a DHF on the rear?

May 10, 2020, 4:21 a.m.

DHf is great on the back, does well with roots, rolls fast. Doesn’t brake quite like a DHr, but not bad.

May 10, 2020, 8:55 a.m.

I've always just bought a DHF. When my rear tire wears out, I swap the front to back and put the new one on the front.

At some point a couple of years ago I got a good deal on the 60A DHF that I've had in the shop for a long time. I didn't want to run that on the front so I have a shiny new DHF on the back in the photo.

May 14, 2020, 5:48 p.m.

process 153

Another day, another process with a DHF in the rear...the Shorty / DHF combo is working really well for for what it is.

This has been a slow burn on a 2015 frame with a lot of the final parts happening this last year. I'm on a tight budget so it's been a slow flow of bits and pieces. Some by chance and some by necessity.

A Vivid R2C and a Pike with Debonair spring were the first changes followed by Hope Pro4 Hubs with Arch front and Flow rear ( I destroyed my rear rim last year and that's what was available)

A mutant of 11 spd shimano shifter/der on a 10spd Sunrace 11-46 - much easier to live with than the 11spd sunrace 11-50 I had. I'm really interested in that Box drivetrain and would love to hear how it works out. I like the idea of a wide range with fewer cogs.

I'm evaluating an MT7 front brake I got right now for cheap which is why there's that in the front and a Code in the back. But the Magura is really working well for what I want so another one is on it's way. The first test out was on greasy Boundary and Lower Crippler a few days ago and the control I could get was phenomenal. It's such a mismatched bike right now, haha.

It's not the best climber. The front does get easily light on climbs like D'Yer Maker and Wardens and I find myself right on the end of my saddle and  getting my chin onto the stem to make some sections. Newer frames with a slightly steeper seat angle and reach combo might be a game changer but that's some ways off.

But the bike rips on the downs and never fails to leave me grinning. I couldn't help but put a Stinky Deluxe sticker on though. My first 'proper' bike and a nod to the heritage.

May 14, 2020, 5:53 p.m.

The "Stinky Deluxe" sticker is awesome!

May 14, 2020, 6:50 p.m.

Finally sold the Darkside, now the overthinking about the new bike really begins lol

May 14, 2020, 7:22 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Another day, another process with a DHF in the rear...the Shorty / DHF combo is working really well for for what it is.

But the bike rips on the downs and never fails to leave me grinning. I couldn't help but put a Stinky Deluxe sticker on though. My first 'proper' bike and a nod to the heritage.

Nice write up, nice bike! Makes me want to get out there and smell the flowers. Why do silver spokes look so much stronger lol. Those pedals like they are next to go...

-----------------------------------------

Posted by: thaaad

"Finally sold the Darkside, now the overthinking about the new bike really begins lol'

Oof, that's a tricky one to replace eh? What are you thinking replacement wise?

We all know the proper process: Meticulously pour over the geo of the theoretically perfect bike, then randomly throw a leg over something opposite and realize it is your one true love.

Last edited by: Hepcat on May 14, 2020, 7:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 14, 2020, 8:32 p.m.

I really like the idea of a Norco Sight. Ticks all of the boxes but I'm not crazy about the look of the aluminum frame and can't afford the carbon version.

Boxes that need ticked.

Canadian

150-160 travel
Probably 27.5
Long
Slack
Low
I feel like I'm over Fox suspension also.

Last edited by: thaaad on May 14, 2020, 8:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 14, 2020, 9:04 p.m.

I really like the idea of a Norco Sight. Ticks all of the boxes but I'm not crazy about the look of the aluminum frame and can't afford the carbon version.

Boxes that need ticked.

Canadian

150-160 travel
Probably 27.5
Long
Slack
Low

Did you keep your parts or sell the complete bike?

May 14, 2020, 9:15 p.m.

Whole enchilada

May 14, 2020, 9:47 p.m.

Boxes that need ticked.

Canadian

150-160 travel
Probably 27.5
Long
Slack
Low

Have you looked at the frames in person? Hard to do now I guess.

I have the Norco Sight A1(aluminum frame), absolutely love the bike and the colour(blue). It's climbs way better than the Range I had, but is very similar on the descent, Sight might be slightly better.