NSMB 2020 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Feb. 17, 2020, 9:36 p.m.

Don't have a hardtail to post but I just put the finishing touches on this one. New Fork (and matching decals) as well as a set of Trail SL's (my new favorite brake).

Build highlights:

Mullet Carbon Warden size XL

Hope laced to Flow rims by me

Magura Trail SL stoppers

DaPackage from we are one

Cushcore to make it all go down well

Post your builds, upgrades and projects!

Feb. 18, 2020, 6:27 a.m.

My "summer" bike a 2018 Guerrilla Gravity Smash. I love this bike. Climbs well. Descends like a champ. Much better of slow speed island tech than I expected and fun for big alpine days. I love that I can carry all my tools/spares in the frame bag and two water bottles on this bike. I have the feeling this is going to be a 10 year ride.

My "winter" bike...a 2017 Knolly Endo. Fun, reliable and happy to get dirty with me through our sloppy coastal winters. I have had the hankering to replace this with a 29er, but it's paid for and that means a lot to me!

Feb. 18, 2020, 10:59 a.m.

I’ve been considering an aluminum GG Smash and am trying to figure out which ones can swap between the Smash and The other models - do you know the details on that?  I want a 29” 135mm travel bike and there are Smashes, Shred Dogs, Megatrails and Trail Pistols out there and some of em seem convertible and some don’t and I can’t get it straight.

Feb. 18, 2020, 2:20 p.m.

I'll play on this thread too, all good fun!  I finally got into the full suspension thing last year, and it was quite the learning curve.  I'm not sure if it was the modern geometry or just getting used to a rear shock and a different experience, but it took me a while to start liking the Smuggler I got.  Now that I adjusted my riding style (I think), I get along with the bike great and love it on the right trails.  It lets me get away with a silly amount of stuff and has given me a massive confidence boost which also translates to riding the hardtail.  Climbing is still so-so, but I figure it'll build up some leg muscles and stamina :)

Specs:

2019 Transition Smuggler - carbon

MRP Ribbon Coil front, Fox DPS rear (haven't felt a need to upgrade)

RaceFace Aeffect wheelset, Minions F/R

XTR 1x11 drivetrain

Hope X2 rear/V4 front brakes

Feb. 18, 2020, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I’ve been considering an aluminum GG Smash and am trying to figure out which ones can swap between the Smash and The other models - do you know the details on that?  I want a 29” 135mm travel bike and there are Smashes, Shred Dogs, Megatrails and Trail Pistols out there and some of em seem convertible and some don’t and I can’t get it straight.

there is also the "secret" GG menu to look at: https://ridegg.com/sixsixsix

My guess is that they can sort you out. Wish they still made alloy bikes.

Feb. 18, 2020, 3:16 p.m.

For the metal bikes the Smash, Mega Trail and Shred Dogg are the same front triangle with different rear triangles. The Smash and SD use the same shock the MT uses a longer stroke shock. The metal Trail Pistol can be setup at 120mm or 130mm rear travel with different stroke shocks, but can't be converted between the other models. Note that GG is not selling new rear triangles for the metal bikes so if you want to convert them you have to buy the initial frame and the conversion parts used. The metal Smash is 140mm rear travel and is a great all rounder. I initially thought I'd convert it, but it goes from XC to AM to Alpine without missing a beat.

With the new 2019 carbon bikes the front triangle is the same across all 4 models and you can buy conversion parts for all of them from GG. My GF has a carbon Smash and loves it.

Feb. 18, 2020, 4:39 p.m.

Posted by: michel77

I'll play on this thread too, all good fun!  I finally got into the full suspension thing last year, and it was quite the learning curve.  I'm not sure if it was the modern geometry or just getting used to a rear shock and a different experience, but it took me a while to start liking the Smuggler I got.  Now that I adjusted my riding style (I think), I get along with the bike great and love it on the right trails.  It lets me get away with a silly amount of stuff and has given me a massive confidence boost which also translates to riding the hardtail.  Climbing is still so-so, but I figure it'll build up some leg muscles and stamina :)

Specs:

2019 Transition Smuggler - carbon

MRP Ribbon Coil front, Fox DPS rear (haven't felt a need to upgrade)

RaceFace Aeffect wheelset, Minions F/R

XTR 1x11 drivetrain

Hope X2 rear/V4 front brakes

Really nice set up on that transition. Drool....

Feb. 18, 2020, 5:15 p.m.

You guys are making me want a new bike.

That Knolly and that Transition are so sick.

Feb. 18, 2020, 5:45 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

For the metal bikes the Smash, Mega Trail and Shred Dogg are the same front triangle with different rear triangles. The Smash and SD use the same shock the MT uses a longer stroke shock. The metal Trail Pistol can be setup at 120mm or 130mm rear travel with different stroke shocks, but can't be converted between the other models. Note that GG is not selling new rear triangles for the metal bikes so if you want to convert them you have to buy the initial frame and the conversion parts used. The metal Smash is 140mm rear travel and is a great all rounder. I initially thought I'd convert it, but it goes from XC to AM to Alpine without missing a beat.

With the new 2019 carbon bikes the front triangle is the same across all 4 models and you can buy conversion parts for all of them from GG. My GF has a carbon Smash and loves it.

Nice man, thanks!  

Based on the reviews I’ve read, the Smash sounds like a nice South Island bike - lively and capable but can still pedal. 

What size do you ride and how tall are you?

Feb. 18, 2020, 5:55 p.m.

Nice man, thanks!  

Based on the reviews I’ve read, the Smash sounds like a nice South Island bike - lively and capable but can still pedal. 

What size do you ride and how tall are you?

Yeah. Great bike for the island. I'm 5'11" and ride a medium in the old metal GG sizing.  If I got a carbon Smash I'd be on a Size 3.

Feb. 18, 2020, 7:16 p.m.

were can a guy get that rear fender

Feb. 18, 2020, 7:20 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

You guys are making me want a new bike.

That Knolly and that Transition are so sick.

Thanks. Or, er....were you talking about the knolly with the fenders?

The fenders are Mudhuggers. They are awesome. Blacks and Comox Bike Co both sell them on the island. I have a few sets and they last forever.

Feb. 19, 2020, 12:22 a.m.

Yours.

Feb. 19, 2020, 2:01 a.m.

I’ll play.

2019 Spartan 29”

Push 11-6. Ended up vcheaper and quicker than a DHX2 with the Fox hassles at the time.

36 with a Smashpot conversion, I found it was the only way to have a fork feeling like it could keep up with the rear.

12s Shimano, Praxis alloy rims to i9. Spank vibrocore bar.

I’ve been genuinely blown away by how composed and versatile this thing is.

Feb. 19, 2020, 5:09 a.m.

Posted by: halfton

were can a guy get that rear fender

Best price I have found: https://www.merlincycles.com/search?w=mudhugger

If you buy a few items you'll get free shipping. I also have not paid taxes/duties on any recent shipments from the UK. You can't count on that, but it does make the purchase even lower cost when you can avoid taxes.