NSMB 2020 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

May 14, 2020, 9:53 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

Have you looked at the frames in person? Hard to do now I guess.

I have the Norco Sight A1(aluminum frame), absolutely love the bike and the colour(blue). It's climbs way better than the Range I had, but is very similar on the descent, Sight might be slightly better.

Not yet. I do really love the colour.

Edit - How tall are you / what size are you on? Their size chart recommends me @ 5'9 on a large which is a little surprising considering I've always been on mediums in any bike I've ridden.

Last edited by: thaaad on May 15, 2020, 12:07 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 15, 2020, 8:50 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Those pedals like they are next to go...

-----------------------------------------

Yep, they're some bog standard XT pedals that did the job in a pinch. I used to have a set of straightlines which I loved but then trying to rebuild them just pissed me off too much. I'm thinking about some Wah-wahs as the bike is a paen to Min-Maxing and the pinkbike classifieds sections haha

May 15, 2020, 12:16 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I have the Norco Sight A1(aluminum frame), absolutely love the bike and the colour(blue). It's climbs way better than the Range I had, but is very similar on the descent, Sight might be slightly better.

Edit - How tall are you / what size are you on? Their size chart recommends me @ 5'9 on a large which is a little surprising considering I've always been on mediums in any bike I've ridden.

I'm 6'1" and I have the XL. Went for a parking lot ride(pre-covid) on a Large frame and it felt too cramped. The Sight XL and my previous XL Range feel the same, even though geo numbers are quite different. At 5'9", I think you're sort of between the 2 sizes. I've heard that people with longer legs proportional tend to prefer the M frame, and people that have a proportionally longer torso prefer the Large. I have a longer torso and the XL is perfect.

With these new Geo's, it's different sizing for frames. Hopefully you can test both sizes to see which one works for you. Hopefully this is helpful.

Last edited by: Ouch on May 15, 2020, 12:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2020, 12:22 p.m.

I should also add that my son is 5'8 ½" and he's on a M Norco Fluid. I have a Range Large frame that we've been building up, and he'll be riding that a soon as we finish.

Last edited by: Ouch on May 15, 2020, 12:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2020, 1 p.m.

Large for sure. I had a 2018 Medium Range 29 and it was ok for test ride and at the park, but I found it a bit cramped after a while. I just moved up to a large this year and I'm much happier with this sizing. I'm an average 5'8"

May 15, 2020, 1:03 p.m.

There's a L 2020 Sight frame one of our local Tricities builders is selling, ask is 2300 I believe.

May 15, 2020, 1:43 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys :)

May 15, 2020, 3:14 p.m.

Pre-covid I test rode Sights at John Henry, the sizing is tricky. I'm 5'10", 6' wingspan, average torso/leg. 29" center BB to top of saddle . 

Sight size L in 27.5 felt about right both seated and standing. Sight size L 29 felt enormous and ungainly. Same reach numbers on both, but I would have guessed 29 much longer. Size M 29 however felt good. M 27.5 felt a tad cramped. 40mm stems on all.

May 15, 2020, 5:10 p.m.

Damn that is rough.

I'm exactly 5'9 with a half inch shy of 6 foot wingspan as well. 31 inch inseam. Exactly 27 inch bb to saddle measurement. 

I was really hoping to avoid going in for test rides during all of this.

I appreciate the info!

Last edited by: thaaad on May 15, 2020, 5:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2020, 9:36 p.m.

Damn that is rough.

I'm exactly 5'9 with a half inch shy of 6 foot wingspan as well. 31 inch inseam. Exactly 27 inch bb to saddle measurement.

I was really hoping to avoid going in for test rides during all of this.

I appreciate the info!

Which size has the closest effective top tube to what you are used to without being shorter? In my experience, if the ETT is too short, the "long reach" doesn't make up for it. I would look for ETT and stack to be as close to what you are looking for as a good starting point.

Based on your metrics, I would think that you would need a large?

Darkside has an ETT  of 597, sight large is 617 vs 588 on the med.  You probably ran a 50mm stem on the darkside, go to 35 and you will be in the same position.

Last edited by: RAHrider on May 15, 2020, 9:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 25, 2020, 9:41 a.m.

This is my girlfriend's bike.

It was all I could do to find any sort of cheap mountain bike after her last one was stolen in December.

It started with a stock 2012 Marin East Peak 5.5 with broken spokes and no air in the shock and tires. After the initial fix, she was so happy to be on a full suspension bike for the first time ever. I took most of the parts off a Kona Steely that had become a commuter and made it even better.

She's so comfortable on it now that she's interested in trying Bobseld at Fromme, which is something I never thought she'd want to do.

May 25, 2020, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

This is my girlfriend's bike.

It was all I could do to find any sort of cheap mountain bike after her last one was stolen in December.

It started with a stock 2012 Marin East Peak 5.5 with broken spokes and no air in the shock and tires. After the initial fix, she was so happy to be on a full suspension bike for the first time ever. I took most of the parts off a Kona Steely that had become a commuter and made it even better.

She's so comfortable on it now that she's interested in trying Bobseld at Fromme, which is something I never thought she'd want to do.

Best bike story of the thread. It made my soul smile. That bike looks like a little ripper. You know she will be shopping for a carbon bike within a year.

Bring her out to cumberland sometime. We have the best trails in BC for beginner/intermediate riders. A weekend riding here and she will be hooked!

May 25, 2020, 3:58 p.m.

Makes me miss my OG Pike, should never have sold it.

June 7, 2020, 4:59 p.m.

New bike day 😊

Reign 29

June 7, 2020, 6:43 p.m.

Congrats! Shiny bike is shiny 😮

Is that green or shiny shiny black reflecting green?

Bought a complete or built up?

Sold my old bike, thinking of selling another and getting some new shinyness too.