NSMB 2020 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

May 6, 2020, 12:59 p.m.

that new Sight is bonkers good.... Can do everything with that thing.

May 6, 2020, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

What did you buy?

I bought a Trance, partly because after selling my previous bike it was what fit the budget.

May 6, 2020, 4:22 p.m.

I feel your pain Thaaad, a long term collection of parts makes for a sweet ride that no one else can see the real value in.

I'm still on an old Spitfire, and wish it was longer and had a steeper STA... Would be worth peanuts if I sold it, so am gradually turning it into the best bike it can be (for me). Next step is a works - 2°headset, partly for the HA, but also so I can run the dropouts in a steeper position to improve the STA for pedalling. 

Would that help your darkside? Or is the poor pedalling a different factor?

May 6, 2020, 4:47 p.m.

It's definitely the seat angle that makes me dislike pedaling it, it feels like I'm pushing super far forward instead of down since the BB is so far forward relative to my hips.

The only issues with running it in the high position is that it steepens the head angle more and raises the BB as well. I'm also not sure if a half a degree steeper seat tube from raising it will make a noticeable difference. It's already got a steeper than stock head tube angle since it's running a 36 instead of a DH fork.

May 6, 2020, 4:59 p.m.

Offset bushings + angleset? Would have to check the math, but that may drop the BB enough and still steepen the seat tube in the high setting.

May 6, 2020, 8:44 p.m.

RAH, I was actually already strongly considering doing exactly that. They are just quite a bit of money, $3200 plus tax for a frame. Not saying they're not quality bikes that's just a huge chunk of change. I really like the guys from Knolly as well, every time I've talked with Noel and Cavan they've always come across as such great guys, and I've never talked to them in a client / sales setting. I used to run in to them at a coffee shop near work.

The flip side is that selling a frame has always proven to be a pain in the ass for me. The last 3 frames I've sold have taken ages, even when priced appropriately IMO. I considered trying to sell the frame first and riding the Chromag in the interim.

As far as room goes, we rent a 650 sq foot 1 bedroom. We are sleeping on a fold out couch in the living room while our 2 year old sleeps in our old bedroom. I could go in to more detail but there is no more room for bikes in our place.

Edit - Man... I feel like every word out of my mouth is about the money. It really isn't about the money it's about making a good decision and getting mostly what I want lol.

I feel you. I left teaching to go to medical school because I couldnt afford to live in Vancouver on 39K. Fast forward 15 years, I'm now 5 years into practice and still can't afford to live in Vancouver. ** that's not actually true, but I don't want to work like a dog to pay a massive mortgage on a crack Shack that cost me 2million. 

The solution was to work in Comox. I rent a house here on 5acres with a view of the glacier and ocean and it costs me less than rent on a 1bd in downtown Vancouver. Biking is great. Ski hill in town. Everyone is nice. Great beer. Good pizza, burgers and donuts. Think about it.....

A picture of the good life

In regards to the knolly, I Got my first one last fall - blowout on the carbon warden. The quality is really next to none. After more miles than i should have left it, I cleaned all the pivots. All the bearings are still running smooth and everything is tight. I figure if you are going to cut down to just one bike it had better be worth it. The knolly may not be the right one but I would hold out for the frame that you pine for, not an aluminum kona DL with formula hubs and shimano no-name brakes and sx drivetrain.

May 6, 2020, 8:55 p.m.

It really feels easier to just sell them both and buy a new bike but the huge downgrade of parts spec is a real kick in the balls unless I save for like a year lol.

Not only does it feel easier, it IS easier. In my pre kids years, I'd have no issues taking the patience route and parting out bikes and frames and taking my time for the right offer. But nowadays the value on my time is at a premium. Instant gratification is a real thing and you can't put a dollar figure on that.

The problem with tweaking the Banshee to suit is that it's still not really what you want right now, no matter how far you take the tweaking. Then after dropping the $$ to tweak, you end up trying to move on and don't recover that cost anyways

You sound like you need a Ripmo AF. Top line suspension at $4000, serviceable brakes and drivetrain. Swap your new brakes and drivetrain onto the Banshee, new parts help recover some value and adds appeal to buyers.  Keep your fancier but more used drivetrain and brakes on the Ripmo. Or just sell everything as is and ride the Ripmo as is and replace as you wear consumables out

May 6, 2020, 8:58 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Is your family accepting new members - I'm jealous of your kid

It's so great to be able to wrench in the garage and tell the boss "but I'm doing this for the kids"

May 7, 2020, 12:22 a.m.

The solution was to work in Comox. I rent a house here on 5acres with a view of the glacier and ocean and it costs me less than rent on a 1bd in downtown Vancouver. Biking is great. Ski hill in town. Everyone is nice. Great beer. Good pizza, burgers and donuts. Think about it.....

We've been talking about leaving the city for like 2 years and were actually already considering the Courtenay / Comox / Cumberland area. Our only concerns are work really.

May 7, 2020, 7:05 a.m.

Check your PM thaaad

May 7, 2020, 8:28 a.m.

We've been talking about leaving the city for like 2 years and were actually already considering the Courtenay / Comox / Cumberland area. Our only concerns are work really.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but the Comox Valley is one of the best places to live in BC. I have lived and worked in most small mountain bike towns in BC for between a month and a few years over the past 15 years. The Comox Valley is hands down the friendliest place I've lived. When I get medical residents working with me in the hospital visiting from Vancouver, they can't believe how nice everyone is to work with. The MTB community here is non-cliquey. Kids play on the street without parental supervision. Worth considering. The job thing is always an issue though.

May 7, 2020, 9:16 a.m.

The knolly may not be the right one but I would hold out for the frame that you pine for, not an aluminum kona DL with formula hubs and shimano no-name brakes and sx drivetrain.

This is the situation I'm now in. I've rebuilt and replaced everything on my 2015 Process153 except the frame - reminds me of the joke about the street sweeper that has had their broom for 20 years, haha. It's all high quality and works for me as I want it to.

I can keep telling myself that the 2015 frame geo is perfect for me - maybe it is, I've not test ridden other bikes for exactly this reason, I don't want to start regarding a bike which still does make me laugh and smile with contempt.

If I sell the frame and keep the components there's the trouble that I'll be restricting the new bike to the components I already have, for example redishing the 142x12 rear to add boost caps and stay on 27.5.

So maybe I sell the current bike at a Ioss and buy a frame and build from the ground up.

/edit : I just saw the new Deore spec from Shimano so maybe this won't be a terrible choice.

Last edited by: DanL on May 7, 2020, 9:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2020, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Check your PM thaaad

TY!

Also, these things just look badass.

Last edited by: thaaad on May 7, 2020, 9:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2020, 11:01 a.m.

Depending on the sizes you're looking for Knolly is having a stupidly cheap frame sale right now

May 7, 2020, 2:59 p.m.

It's definitely the seat angle that makes me dislike pedaling it, it feels like I'm pushing super far forward instead of down since the BB is so far forward relative to my hips.

The only issues with running it in the high position is that it steepens the head angle more and raises the BB as well. I'm also not sure if a half a degree steeper seat tube from raising it will make a noticeable difference. 

The works headset steepens the STA slightly alone, plus the 1° from running the dropouts at full high ~1.5° steeper STA and still getting - 1°HA out of the - 2° headset. 

I also reversed the [cradle? Tray?] lower part of my seatpost head the rails sit in to give me a few mm extra forward. 

I get that little tweaks won't change everything, but it depends if it's nearly right, or bigger change is needed.