NSMB - 2019 - Hardtail Thread

Aug. 30, 2019, 2:55 p.m.

Hi,

excellent thread! I'm happy to chime in here - love my family of hardtails:

- Kona Honzo Ti, currently in 27+ guise (Praxis Al32 on Hope Pro 2 with Minions dhf 2.8 f+r), absolute blast with the Fox 36 at 150mm:

Honzo Ti

- Kona Honzo ST 2013, single speed 29er with 34T oneup oval x 21T Surly:

Honzo ST

- Cotic BFe 26 2018, -2° angleset brings the head angle down to about 63.5° with the Suntour Durolux at 160mm (the front brake hose needs to be shortened):

Cotic

Happy trails!

Cheers

Sept. 2, 2019, 11:11 a.m.

I just picked up a chromag arcturian, amazingly capable bike, I was always a fan of the trek stache, and this just shreds harder;

Chromag Arcturian

Last edited by: MattyB on Sept. 2, 2019, 11:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2019, 10:44 p.m.

Posted by: reini-wagner

Hi,

excellent thread! I'm happy to chime in here - love my family of hardtails:

- Kona Honzo Ti, currently in 27+ guise (Praxis Al32 on Hope Pro 2 with Minions dhf 2.8 f+r), absolute blast with the Fox 36 at 150mm:

Honzo Ti

- Kona Honzo ST 2013, single speed 29er with 34T oneup oval x 21T Surly:

Honzo ST

- Cotic BFe 26 2018, -2° angleset brings the head angle down to about 63.5° with the Suntour Durolux at 160mm (the front brake hose needs to be shortened):

Cotic

Happy trails!

Cheers

Nice rigs dude. I set up my ti Honzo mullet style and it never rode so well - highly recommend giving it a try on one of yours if you haven't yet. Slackens the head angle just a bit and climbing is about the same. I cannot believe fit a 2.8 in the back. What tire/rim are you running back there?

Sept. 3, 2019, 3:27 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Happy trails!

Cheers

Nice rigs dude. I set up my ti Honzo mullet style and it never rode so well - highly recommend giving it a try on one of yours if you haven't yet. Slackens the head angle just a bit and climbing is about the same. I cannot believe fit a 2.8 in the back. What tire/rim are you running back there?

Hey mate, thanks, appreciate it!

Good point, I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a try. It's just a swap of the front wheel away - I've been riding the Ti Honzo in 29er guise for more than a year before swapping to 27+. It's a Minion 3C MaxxSpeed which I bought used, seems to be an OEM version (at least the MaxxSpeed is not available aftermarket here in Central Europe). I actually was not sure the 2.8 would fit either, and bought a backup 27x2.6 Minion DHF just in case. I use Praxis AL32 rims, which I can highly recommend. They are really light weight for AL rims, were easy to build, and are shipped with their own tubeless rim strip (not a tape, so it can be removed easily) which works flawlessly. And the online shops here sell them for around 67 Euros including the rim strip.

Which rear tire are you running? With regards to slackening the head angle, I'm sure you read Andrew Major's piece on the Works Component Angleset. This inspired me to try that on the Cotic, and I think it would be a great upgrade for the Honzo Ti as well. Did you consider this as well?

Have a good one, Rynee

Sept. 3, 2019, 1:20 p.m.

Posted by: MattyB

I just picked up a chromag arcturian, amazingly capable bike, I was always a fan of the trek stache, and this just shreds harder;

Chromag Arcturian

Pics please!! And a ride report, that would be awesome! Cheers!

Sept. 4, 2019, 2:23 a.m.

Posted by: reini-wagner

Chromag Arcturian

Pics please!! And a ride report, that would be awesome! Cheers!

Second that. A steel stache feels so right.

Sept. 4, 2019, 8:37 a.m.

This is my Surface in it's final form. I usually try and get a WBP day a year in on the hardtail just for giggles. And because I seemingly like to torture myself

Sept. 8, 2019, 7:32 p.m.

I haven't had a ton of riding on the bike yet, I bought Chromag's demo bike when in whistler on vacation got a couple days riding and waiting for it to be shipped to Ontario for me to enjoy it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H6uE8HCYKgtbxpJ4A

The bike rides amazing, its surprisingly flickable for being such a monster truck. The front end is quite manageable while climbing, and 3" of tire on the ground provides all the traction you need for rooty climbs. One thing that surprised me is that when I took it into the bike park the huge diameter and tire volume just eats up braking bumps and I was riding flow trails way faster than I was on my trek slash. Going downhill the bike is awesome, it definitely still rides like a hardtail, but having the big tire is enough to take the edge off and tire you out less descending. Overall, I don't think I've ever been this happy or excited about a bike purchase before.

Sept. 9, 2019, 4:31 a.m.

BTR

My BTR. It’s custom and splits the difference between a Chaser and a Ranger geo wise. The seat angle is ever so slightly slacker than is in vogue because I like 180mm cranks for SS. 

Super happy with how my geo design turned out, and really liking the fact the tubeset is slightly lighter and more comfortable than most of the newer style hardtails I see. I’ve since swapped out the DVO post for a Bikeyoke, the DVO post is pretty disappointing.

Sept. 9, 2019, 12:50 p.m.

I haven't had a ton of riding on the bike yet, I bought Chromag's demo bike when in whistler on vacation got a couple days riding and waiting for it to be shipped to Ontario for me to enjoy it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H6uE8HCYKgtbxpJ4A

The bike rides amazing, its surprisingly flickable for being such a monster truck. The front end is quite manageable while climbing, and 3" of tire on the ground provides all the traction you need for rooty climbs. One thing that surprised me is that when I took it into the bike park the huge diameter and tire volume just eats up braking bumps and I was riding flow trails way faster than I was on my trek slash. Going downhill the bike is awesome, it definitely still rides like a hardtail, but having the big tire is enough to take the edge off and tire you out less descending. Overall, I don't think I've ever been this happy or excited about a bike purchase before.

Hey, thanks a lot for the post, that sounds really like a well handling rig!

So you got the bike that is actually pictured on their website? That's freaking amazing! Congrats!

Sept. 16, 2019, 2:56 p.m.

First new bike in a while and I tried to keep it on a budget re-using breaks, cockpit, cranks etc. Still 10 speed but got a fresh chain and 11-42t cassette. 

Not light but one ride in and it feels great, but it needs hoses shortened and a dropper post I think.     

Sept. 17, 2019, 10:36 a.m.

My god...just back from a 1.5 hrs cruise through the woods. Hardtails are soo much fun!!!

Sept. 18, 2019, 5:46 a.m.

New Pipedream Moxie built up last week:

Oct. 6, 2019, 5:43 p.m.

Behold. 63' head. 78' seat. 445mm rear. 1330 wheelbase. 180 cranks w/ oval ring. 200mm Saints which barely clear the seatstays. Amazing so far.

Biggest progressive hardtail ever

Oct. 7, 2019, 2:17 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Behold. 63' head. 78' seat. 445mm rear. 1330 wheelbase. 180 cranks w/ oval ring. 200mm Saints which barely clear the seatstays. Amazing so far.

Biggest progressive hardtail ever

That is so beautiful.