NSMB - 2019 - Hardtail Thread

Feb. 22, 2019, 3:23 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Looks like it maybe bends right at the bottom a bit, and the centerline of the straight portion of seat tube is slightly ahead of the BB centerline, Id guess it would not take much to account for 2 degrees difference. Maybe it's more evident in person...

Looks very straight. I´m curious about the new Big Wig myself, and that st has a bend in it. 

Feb. 22, 2019, 7:36 a.m.

Posted by: Cuprinol

Looks very straight. I´m curious about the new Big Wig myself, and that st has a bend in it. 

Keep in mind that when you're climbing something steep the front end doesn't sag much, so you won't get an effective angle a whole lot steeper. 

Personally, I¹ve gone from 73.5 to 75 to 76 and don't want to go back.

Feb. 22, 2019, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Personally, I¹ve gone from 73.5 to 75 to 76 and don't want to go back.

On a hrdtl? I am, sort of, concerned about carrying to much weight through my arms and torso with a steep s/t on a bike that doesn't have any rear sag.*

Which why I eyeing 74deg frame. But, point is moot they say it need 42 o/s frk. Mine is 51.

* Guess I'll find out. Talked to Chromag yesterday the '19 Wideangles have landed watch for them to post up the new colours.

Feb. 22, 2019, 3:54 p.m.

Depends on what you're using it for. If you want to do family type gravel path rides on pretty flat terrain where you spend lots of time seated then yeah, don't go  crazy on the sta. 

I went from an M/L stylus to an L rootdown so from 75 STA and 458 reach to 76sta and 478 reach. 

The stylus was definitely more comfortable when just pedalling along a fairly flat road, but nowhere near as capable or comfortable in any other situation. No quarter climb or good sir Martin type of situation I prefer the steeper STA. Or that steep little climb on sticks and stones right after you ride around the big rocks, or the armored climb at the northwest end of  salamander, stuff like that is way easier to punch up. The last two examples require a bit of standing pedalling but I find transitioning in and out of the saddle goes more smoothly. 

A stylus or wide-angle set up with the stack fairly high and the seat slid back would be totally fine pretty much anywhere in terms of avoiding wrist pain.

Feb. 26, 2019, 11:06 a.m.

Hey All, whats everyone's opinion on the Wideadgle vs the Rootdown?
I'm personally leaning towards the wWdeangle but having some trouble making up my mind.

So looking for some opinions.

Feb. 26, 2019, 11:27 a.m.

Posted by: tokum

I'm personally leaning towards the wWdeangle but having some trouble making up my mind.

Why buy a hardtail with anything other than 29" wheels? (Why buy anything with not 29" wheels) Unless you're compromising for the sake of some other reason (lots of obsolete parts, some kind of weird retro fetish, 5'0" etc etc). I'm pretty much moved on from 27.5" as you can tell probably, but I can't fathom going back to it for a HT most of all.

A 29" wheel is provably better rolling through the obstacles and you don't have any FS cheater travel to help you out. on a HT

= Rootdown. And i'd even buy one myself if i weren't such a picky prima donna who thinks he knows it all. But i still want to buy one - because it's 85% right for me - is there ever going to be a 100% right?

Feb. 26, 2019, 11:45 a.m.

Agree 100%. I went from stylus to rootdown and now that I'm on 29s, I can't imagine going back, especially on an HT. It would seem literally sadistic. 

If you are riding the shore or similar, I'm finding the rootdown is a great bang for buck ride. If you're somewhere more tame though, it might be overkill.

Feb. 26, 2019, 5:01 p.m.

My OG Surface killed everything I could throw at it over the years. 

+1 would purchase again

Feb. 27, 2019, 6:36 a.m.

Posted by: tokum

A vote for the Wideangle here. I mean, they're both great bikes and you can't go wrong! After a bunch of slack 29'ers I found I just have more fun on 27.5, I'm picking up my second Wideangle this week (updating from a gen1 frame).

For me it comes down to height and trails. I'm 175cm and I don't particularly like rear tires rubbing my ass when I'm rolling commando. For sure bigger wheels cover distance better, but I just like the more playful feel of smaller wheels. Not better or worse, just fast vs fun maybe

Feb. 27, 2019, 8:43 a.m.

I would never go back to smaller wheels, but I am 6'4" and actually feel like 29ers, for the most part, fit me better now. I know a lot of people who are more in the normal range of height that love the bigger wheels too....and some that don't. It's all comes down to personal preference...I love the speed that the 29er wheels carry, and I am more of a smash/monster truck rider than a pop all over the trail rider...and the extra grip ain't too bad either!

Feb. 27, 2019, 1:56 p.m.

I'm a fraction under 6ft and have tried a 29r hardtail but went back to 27.5 with 35mm rims and 2.6/2.4 tyres for more playfulness.  Still provides good rollover, but this is probably the exception to the rule as my trails are very tame (no rocks or proper hills even), plus a small bike park which is tight and twisty.  

Horses for courses. If you have 'proper' trails available to you then I would expect 29 is the way to go - buy a Rootdown.  However, if you are also the exception to the rule (or maybe have a sus rig for big hills and just want a HT for jumping and messing around on) then consider the Stylus.

Feb. 27, 2019, 7:47 p.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

I'm a fraction under 6ft and have tried a 29r hardtail but went back to 27.5 with 35mm rims and 2.6/2.4 tyres for more playfulness.  Still provides good rollover, but this is probably the exception to the rule as my trails are very tame (no rocks or proper hills even), plus a small bike park which is tight and twisty.  

Horses for courses. If you have 'proper' trails available to you then I would expect 29 is the way to go - buy a Rootdown.  However, if you are also the exception to the rule (or maybe have a sus rig for big hills and just want a HT for jumping and messing around on) then consider the Stylus.

Which is funny because for the longest time 29ers were only suitable for dirt roadies on lycra smooth trails. Look how far we've come.

Feb. 27, 2019, 9:54 p.m.

I have a Wideangle and it's badass. One of my favorite bikes I've ever owned.

Unfortunately I have to slim the herd so it's going to be for sale pretty soon :( I have the sadness.

Feb. 28, 2019, 12:49 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Tremeer023

Which is funny because for the longest time 29ers were only suitable for dirt roadies on lycra smooth trails. Look how far we've come.

Yeh. Shows just how much difference frame geometry and other minor tweaks can make.

Feb. 28, 2019, 7:33 a.m.

I keep thinking about swapping to a Surface, but actually can't bring myself to replace the samurai65 with a 29'er because I love how quick handling and responsive it is, so agile.