NSMB - 2019 - Hardtail Thread

Feb. 14, 2019, 4:26 p.m.

I find being able to dial up the pressure in the fork and then dial up the OTT really works nice on the hardtail, kinda like having infinitely adjustable volume spacers. I can keep it soft initially but not dive.

Feb. 14, 2019, 6:39 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: Kenny

Not sure your model of dvo, but have you tried bumping it to 140? I have a diamond and adjusting the travel is free and not too tough. Loving my diamond.

I have a diamond too and its an excellent fork. My new bike is based on a 170mm fork so I can't use it which totally sucks or else Id still be using it.

Comments on PB from someone allegedly at DVO stated that they are is working on a 170mm/180mm Onyx SC 29er fork to be released in summer 2019 (possibly at Sea Otter). Same goes for Manitou, their long travel 29er fork is due to be released at Sea Otter.

I just got on a Durolux so fingers crossed I love it. If I don't I'll be looking at the new DVO for sure.

Feb. 14, 2019, 9:25 p.m.

I find being able to dial up the pressure in the fork and then dial up the OTT really works nice on the hardtail, kinda like having infinitely adjustable volume spacers. I can keep it soft initially but not dive.

I think it is more a feature of my weight (220lbs) and the fact that I set the diamond at 130 but I don't find it as supportive as I would like. Supposedly if you add oil it achieves a similar result to volume spacers but I had Suspension Werx fill it up and I still dive through the travel. I'm going to try it at 140 next oil change and see if I like that better. 

It's not awful or anything, just not a dream fork. I like my lyric better.

Feb. 14, 2019, 9:32 p.m.

I requested either an ONYX DC or SC LT 29er short offset fork when it was announced. Told it wouldn’t happen. 

Ordered a big 2 fork instead. 

If was to reup my hardtail game, here’s how it would go:

Locally made

Similar service designation as a Surface

Geo numbers inspired by my G16. ~63•HTA blah blah blah

Fork travel ~140mm

Large diameter HT so I can run which ever headset I want

Mounts and compatible for full wrap fenders and pannier compatible 

Modular rear drop out

Di2 battery compatible (2x11 w/one shifter would be the hype) 

I figure a new road bike is likely before this

Feb. 14, 2019, 9:59 p.m.

I'm about 200 and find it super supportive.

Posted by: RAHrider

I think it is more a feature of my weight (220lbs) and the fact that I set the diamond at 130 but I don't find it as supportive as I would like. Supposedly if you add oil it achieves a similar result to volume spacers but I had Suspension Werx fill it up and I still dive through the travel. I'm going to try it at 140 next oil change and see if I like that better.

I'm about 200, from what I've read the OTT actually benefits heavier riders more. What happens if you keep adding pressure and cranking up the OTT?

I run mine about 15psi more than the base chart and additional OTT to keep it soft off the top but keep it sitting up a little higher (hardtail factor). I feel like if I wanted more bottom out resistance I could just add more high speed comp at this point. Is the issue bottom out or mid stroke?

Last edited by: Kenny on Feb. 14, 2019, 10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 15, 2019, 10:19 a.m.

I'm about 200 and find it super supportive.

Posted by: RAHrider

I'm about 200, from what I've read the OTT actually benefits heavier riders more. What happens if you keep adding pressure and cranking up the OTT?

I run mine about 15psi more than the base chart and additional OTT to keep it soft off the top but keep it sitting up a little higher (hardtail factor). I feel like if I wanted more bottom out resistance I could just add more high speed comp at this point. Is the issue bottom out or mid stroke?

FWIW I'm 230 and found it very supportive.

Feb. 15, 2019, 9:45 p.m.

Maybe I don't have it set up right. I'll try tweaking it once the snow melts with some of your suggestions. Thanks

Feb. 16, 2019, 1:32 p.m.

Anyone tried a DVO Sapphire 34? Thinking of putting one on my Rootdown (with a 20mm crown race to make up for the shorter travel.)

At 185 lbs. and not super gnar, I think the Diamond might be a bit much...

Los

Feb. 20, 2019, 6:19 a.m.

I have a sapphire 34 @ 140 on my marin rift zone and a diamond @ 150 on my rootdown. I’m about 195 and wouldnt hesitate to put the sapphire on your rootdown. It’s a stiff and supportive fork!

Feb. 20, 2019, 1:02 p.m.

Hazard a guess why Ragley cite 74deg "effective" and 72deg "actual" seat tube angles for this frame?

I asked whether the 74deg cited was sagged or unsagged and they said all angles cited were un-sagged.

Which is all good in this case, but.......that s/t looks mitered center-line w/bb shell and forms a straight line right to the saddle.

I thought "effective" was only cited for s/t's with a bend or mounted from d/t a la Knolly?

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 20, 2019, 1:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2019, 5:42 p.m.

Looks like it maybe bends right at the bottom a bit, and the centerline of the straight portion of seat tube is slightly ahead of the BB centerline, Id guess it would not take much to account for 2 degrees difference. Maybe it's more evident in person...

Feb. 20, 2019, 7:46 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Hazard a guess why Ragley cite 74deg "effective" and 72deg "actual" seat tube angles for this frame?

I asked whether the 74deg cited was sagged or unsagged and they said all angles cited were un-sagged.

Which is all good in this case, but.......that s/t looks mitered center-line w/bb shell and forms a straight line right to the saddle.

I thought "effective" was only cited for s/t's with a bend or mounted from d/t a la Knolly?

Because 72deg is shit and they're trying anything to make it seem more modern.

Feb. 20, 2019, 9:16 p.m.

Posted by: ols55

I have a sapphire 34 @ 140 on my marin rift zone and a diamond @ 150 on my rootdown. I’m about 195 and wouldnt hesitate to put the sapphire on your rootdown. It’s a stiff and supportive fork!

Thanks! I appreciate the response. One question, though: did you choose theDiamond on your Rootdown because of the travel, or another reason?

Los

Feb. 20, 2019, 10:56 p.m.

Posted by: Losifer

Posted by: ols55

Thanks! I appreciate the response. One question, though: did you choose theDiamond on your Rootdown because of the travel, or another reason?

Los

The sapphire 34 wasn’t available when I built up the rootdown. I had a 2016 diamond on it and upgraded to the newer version about a year ago. If I were to do it today I think I’d still go with a 150mm fork on the rootdown to maintain the geometry, but with that spacer it sounds like you have that covered.

Feb. 21, 2019, 6:42 p.m.

The sapphire 34 wasn’t available when I built up the rootdown. I had a 2016 diamond on it and upgraded to the newer version about a year ago. If I were to do it today I think I’d still go with a 150mm fork on the rootdown to maintain the geometry, but with that spacer it sounds like you have that covered.

Thanks for the background info. 

After your input, taking into account the burliness (or lack thereof) of my local trails, and reading the design philosophy behind the Doctahawk (on a site I’d rather not admit to reading,) I think the Sapphire 34 might be a good fit. 

I can maintain the geometry with a spacer crown race, and have slightly less impact on that geometry with less travel. Doesn’t hurt that the Sapphire is slightly lighter and a little cheaper...

Los