NSMB - 2019 - Hardtail Thread

Feb. 7, 2019, 9:23 a.m.

Holy Doctahawk Batman. 62.5° head angle, 77° seat tube and 180mm travel.  My legs don't have the endurance to create sufficient rear squish to keep up with that amount of front plush.

Feb. 7, 2019, 10:25 a.m.

damn, that's aggressive. so 79* ish sagged STA? curious how it corners with such a large front center length bias.

Feb. 7, 2019, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

http://www.chromagbikes.com/bikes/doctahawk

Whoa.

Wow that's great. At that price presumably it's a Truelove-made one, which is so cool. What is with the super short head tube though? 105 seems really short for someone 6'7" (the tallest suggested rider)...

Feb. 7, 2019, 11:32 a.m.

Posted by: Ridebikes

Kona Rasta river ripperI’ve got 2 Hardtails for this year a 94 kona kilauea...

Kilauea is enviable! Been looking for a mid nineties Kona for ages. 

Well done

Feb. 7, 2019, 12:48 p.m.

Posted by: craw

http://www.chromagbikes.com/bikes/doctahawk

Whoa.

Wow that's great. At that price presumably it's a Truelove-made one, which is so cool. What is with the super short head tube though? 105 seems really short for someone 6'7" (the tallest suggested rider)...

Welded by Brad Howlett (presumably in BC) according to their Instagram post. Not sure who he is and Google didn't tell me much. Not that matter to be honest.

Feb. 7, 2019, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

damn, that's aggressive. so 79* ish sagged STA? curious how it corners with such a large front center length bias.

What's up with rear centre length not growing with front centre? I was excited by this for a long time from various insta posts. Now I see that the rear centre is 415.

#armchairengineer

Feb. 7, 2019, 2:26 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

What's up with rear centre length not growing with front centre? I was excited by this for a long time from various insta posts. Now I see that the rear centre is 415.

#armchairengineer

It does. The three sizes go 415, 425, 435. 

As far as the short head tube and stack, it does have a 180mm 29er fork... Not really sure how much more stack you need... ?

Feb. 7, 2019, 3:30 p.m.

#armchairengineer

As far as the short head tube and stack, it does have a 180mm 29er fork... Not really sure how much more stack you need... ?

I meant - given that the Reach on the smallest 'hawk is longer than a Large Rootdown previously was, but with the same short rear end that all their bikes have used (415mm). I didn't say anything about the Stack i don't think?

I see that the rear centre grows with size, but the shortest is still as short as it ever was. 

As a solid M/L I'd was hoping for a longer rear centre, as I've felt that their rear centres (along with almost everyone in the rest of the industry too) were too short - is it really just because otherwise bikes are awkward to fit on bike racks < my bike industry conspiracy theory. And that has stopped me pulling the trigger in the past on a Rootdown. Stupid maybe, but if i'm going to drop the coin on something, I have a hard time doing it if it's not what I really really want. I *can* move up to a L 'hawk as their ST is now shorter than it was in the past. 

P.S the actual increase in saddle to bar is only 10mm Large Rootdown to Large Doctahawk. And that's before you take into account that the slacker HA decreases that distance as well. Steep SA eats up a lot of the HTT distance, and while the reach changes differently on a hardtail to a fs bike at sag point, this isn't a crazy leap forward for Chromag. Probably recognizing that rear centre doesn't need to be super short on all sizes is the biggest step IMO < Which is worth what you pay for it.

If there ends up being a Taiwanese version and I'm still dumb enough to think I can ride hardtails I'd buy one.

Feb. 7, 2019, 5:10 p.m.

Not a fan of the HTA at that amount of travel. Personally would want 62•HTA at 150 or less. With longer CS length as well. Would like to see a Surface take this approach. 

This frame isn’t for myself.

Feb. 7, 2019, 6:26 p.m.

Hepcat

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bik/d/richmond-northeast-vintage-commuters/6799310160.html

I found one for $150 not mine not selling it please don’t kick me

Last edited by: Ridebikes on Feb. 7, 2019, 6:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 7, 2019, 10:49 p.m.

If there ends up being a Taiwanese version and I'm still dumb enough to think I can ride hardtails I'd buy one.

After much time on my Primer, I learnt enough about hardtail geometry, where and how I ride, to find out that it wasn't ideal for me. I really like the Cotic Solaris Max ideology and geometry, just couldn't justify dropping the coin to bring one over from the UK.  But if one were to pop out gently loved, I'd be all over it.

Feb. 8, 2019, 12:51 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

After much time on my Primer, I learnt enough about hardtail geometry, where and how I ride, to find out that it wasn't ideal for me. I really like the Cotic Solaris Max ideology and geometry, just couldn't justify dropping the coin to bring one over from the UK.  But if one were to pop out gently loved, I'd be all over it.

this was a good read

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07/review-the-latest-cotic-solarismax-is-one-of-the-fastest-hardtails-weve-tested/

Feb. 8, 2019, 4:40 a.m.

Chromag Stylus! I love it...

Super Smash flash 2 beta

Feb. 8, 2019, 6:44 a.m.

have to say, that hawk doesn't do anything for me at all. long, low, slack aren't really the characteristics I'm looking for in a hardtail for what I want to use it for though, to each their own!

Feb. 8, 2019, 8:20 a.m.

#armchairengineer

To the earlier post: back in the day I rode a 180mm fork on a hardtail and it was awesome. But that was nearly 20 years ago mind you. I'd for sure try it again now. But maybe with a modern fork 160-170 would be fine.

r.e. stack. For someone 6'7"? Still more stack needed. But really that person is the outlier. That little head tube is what makes sense for most people, on a 29er, with a 180mm fork.

Last edited by: craw on Feb. 8, 2019, 8:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.