NSMB - 2019 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 24, 2019, 2:39 p.m.

Also, bit of background story; I rode bmx until the age of 20ish and got into mtb at 22. Had numerous custom built hardtail bikes over the years plus several suspension bikes (used to do a bit of DH racing back in the day) but at the age of 42 (and with kids) this is now my only bike.

My trails are tame and smooth plus a small bike park and I can't see myself wanting any more bike than this for the foreseeable future.  It does everything.  The frame is in for a paint job at the moment so fresh pics to follow in a few weeks.

Jan. 25, 2019, 11:15 a.m.

Posted by: Tremeer023

Long time reader first time participant here.  Loving this thread and the beautiful bikes here- that Passila is stunning. 

Here is my current set up:

Thank you! After 10 years of riding full sussers I also ride only a hardtail now. Finland isn’t exactly known for gnarly trails like BC, but I’ve noticed that a hardtail with proper design can handle a lot more than I can give her. And the ride feel gives you back so much more than a frame with suspension, in my opinion

Jan. 25, 2019, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: Häivä

Posted by: Tremeer023

Long time reader first time participant here.  Loving this thread and the beautiful bikes here- that Passila is stunning. 

Here is my current set up:

Thank you! After 10 years of riding full sussers I also ride only a hardtail now. Finland isn’t exactly known for gnarly trails like BC, but I’ve noticed that a hardtail with proper design can handle a lot more than I can give her. And the ride feel gives you back so much more than a frame with suspension, in my opinion

I know what you mean.  Modern hardtails are so capable compared to just 5 or so years ago.  It has made my local trails interesting and fun again.

Jan. 27, 2019, 10:58 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Here's my Chromag Rootdown. Every ride I am amazed at the capabilities of this bike....so much fun!

The Primer/Rootdown are so capable. It's actually why I sold mine and moving to something lighter duty this season after getting a Range 29... The Primer overlapped a lot of what I'd use the Range for.

Jan. 28, 2019, 1:25 p.m.

Jan. 30, 2019, 7:40 a.m.

My all purpose CX bike. I ride this beast on local MTB trails and it is a blast. No suspension, short top tubes, steep head angle and skinny tires keep you honest and smooth.

2016 Kona Private Jake with a few burly upgrades to make it more fun in the woods. 

11x42 cassette, RF SixC bar, 100mm dropper, Guide R brakes, 90mm Chromag Ranger stem and few more Chromag purple bits.

Jan. 30, 2019, 9:34 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Here's my Chromag Rootdown. Every ride I am amazed at the capabilities of this bike....so much fun!

The Primer/Rootdown are so capable. It's actually why I sold mine and moving to something lighter duty this season after getting a Range 29... The Primer overlapped a lot of what I'd use the Range for.

Yeah. My other bike is a 2017 Bronson. So now my hard tail is longer, slacker, and has quite a bit more rubber under it than my "real" bike. 

My ankles notice the difference on some trails but otherwise with the big 29" rubber I spend less energy fighting it through most technical sections so it's basically a wash. 

I haven't quite decided what sort of bike complements these beasts...

Jan. 30, 2019, 10:28 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Posted by: UFO

Yeah. My other bike is a 2017 Bronson. So now my hard tail is longer, slacker, and has quite a bit more rubber under it than my "real" bike. 

My ankles notice the difference on some trails but otherwise with the big 29" rubber I spend less energy fighting it through most technical sections so it's basically a wash. 

I haven't quite decided what sort of bike complements these beasts...

Yeah, I think my next bike will be something like a Scott Ransom...big ass 29er for shuttle/park/Mt. Benson and maybe Cumberland...

Jan. 30, 2019, 3:01 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

My all purpose CX bike. I ride this beast on local MTB trails and it is a blast. No suspension, short top tubes, steep head angle and skinny tires keep you honest and smooth.

2016 Kona Private Jake with a few burly upgrades to make it more fun in the woods. 

11x42 cassette, RF SixC bar, 100mm dropper, Guide R brakes, 90mm Chromag Ranger stem and few more Chromag purple bits.

I can't decide if I like the bike or the matching pink leopard spandex/socks. Looks like you're having a good rip.

Jan. 30, 2019, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: heathen

I can't decide if I like the bike or the matching pink leopard spandex/socks. Looks like you're having a good rip.

Cyclocross racing is a riot!! Booze hand ups and thick mud.

Feb. 1, 2019, 9:40 p.m.

Just got mine built up. Unfortunately after the first ride I caught a flu and no riding this weekend :( This is a size medium, but jumping from a large Last Fastforward you can definitely feel the difference in the way your balance point is on the bike. The long wheelbase and steep seattube made it surprisingly easy to ride narrow snowy trails. I wish the snow went away though or packed down really hard so I could get HC on this thing :)

Pässilä Bicycles Rämäkkä Long

Feb. 2, 2019, 11:57 a.m.

So I swapped out the Primer I've been on the last 2 seasons, for this Specialized Fuse (with most parts repatriated from the Primer). I felt a bit dirty initially, but she fits my needs for a lighter duty and nimbler trail bike better. Just waiting on my 27.5+ rear wheel to go back to my ideal setup.

Last edited by: UFO on Feb. 2, 2019, 12:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 6, 2019, 8:25 p.m.

Kona Rasta river ripperI’ve got 2 Hardtails for this year a 94 kona kilauea frame I rescued that is now my rip around the river trails with the kids bike and my 2000 special edition kona ho chi min that’s been built up with parts I’ve been keeping around.  The ho chi min had a modern geometry back in the day with a 23.5 top tube 17” stand over 19” frame steep seat angle and  had a 67 degree head angle with a 140mm fork but like 66 with the 160 of the durolux.  The fork is sweet and has a working travel adjust from 120-160 also have the 140-180mm travel adjust cartridge as well but that’s overkill. 

Kona

Feb. 7, 2019, 6:05 a.m.

http://www.chromagbikes.com/bikes/doctahawk

Whoa.

Feb. 7, 2019, 8:42 a.m.

That DocHawk is sexy...wonder if they will trade for my newish rootdown..haha...