NSMB - 2019 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 18, 2019, 4:32 p.m.

Do we need to do hashtag ten years challenge to post in this thread?

Jan. 18, 2019, 8:26 p.m.

How's this for combining 10 year challenge with the discussions of titanium!

2007 Litespeed Obed.  Basically what Litespeed built for Cove's Hummer, except mine is a freak with no head-tube gussets. 

Picture at Galbraith from December, 2009:

Loaded for an over-night maintenance party on LOTS last summer (photo by Dan Raymond):

Most recently ridden on New Year's Day 2019.

It's actually a pretty stiff for a Ti bike.  I feel like my steel Blizzard LT actually might have a little more spring to the rear triangle, but some of that sensation may be because of the plusher Ti-coil Marz 44 on the Bliz vs. the "sporty" Magura Thor air on the Obed.

Oh and yes, that Syncros Hardcore Ti post is still in service (Bivvy sack poles actually tuck perfectly inside it)

If 26" tires ever really die, I'll have to get some custom drop-outs made to bolt on to go 27.5

Jan. 19, 2019, 10:45 p.m.

Here’s my Pässilä Bicycles Rämäkkä titanium hardtail. I use it for everything from long rides to enduro racing. Proper modern geometry and titanium frame: match made in hardtail heaven!

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/19751/

Pässilä  Bicycles Rämäkkä

passilabicycles.com - something else.

Last edited by: Häivä on Jan. 20, 2019, 7:51 a.m., edited 6 times in total.
Reason: fixed image
Jan. 21, 2019, 8:13 a.m.

First ride on the 2019 rootdown this weekend. Super fun. Yes the fork needs to not be quite so... green... lol 

Jan. 21, 2019, 11:08 a.m.

Just get green grips, saddle and pedals to match.

Jan. 22, 2019, 3:36 a.m.

Chromag Stylus Single Speed (and occasional Box 7 speed).

Yea, I know that the chain tensioner is upside down (and the chain a bit loose) but it seems to be the only way to make it work with the oval ring. Options are: A round ring, a rear derailer style tensioner, or just to keep pedaling..... even if it makes your eyes bleed!

So the story behind her is that a mate was trying to sell a Stylus frame and fork combo. I took it for a test ride and promptly laid it down in a rock garden, putting a series of toonie sized dents in the top tube!

Before he knew what had happened my money was in his bank account and the frame was at a panel beater. This guy normally does custom cars and Harleys so he did an awesome job with the dents. He then laid a fine coat of pearlescent, metallic rootbeer over the evidence. The logos are painted on in pearl white too.

I’ve swapped out the orange fork decals for black since the photo too.

About 7 years ago I got to spend 12 months in BC and 6 on the shore. I was always blown away by the locals laying waste to the scariest trails that I’ve ever seen on these crazy hardtails.

So I was always going to have a Chromag of my own. It didn’t happen quite the way I planned, but it did finally happen!

Jan. 22, 2019, 12:44 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

some incredible bikes. that repaired Chromag is a stunner, what a crazy story.  super high marks for the bizarre Finnish ti hardtail and extra points for the sheer number of dots in the name.

Thanks! Every dot counts.

Jan. 22, 2019, 4:15 p.m.

Some really nice Chromags. I agree, the rootbeer one is spectacular despite a rocky start to its life.

Mine is slowly coming together. Some Ti King Cages will complete things. Should be finished in a week or two.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Jan. 22, 2019, 5:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2019, 6:50 p.m.

Owning a Chromag Surface Ti myself I can see the same factory made the Ti as the Finnish bike.  The head tube is identical, and considering how expensive Ti is I can see why.  I have had my Chromag for 8 months now and could not be happier with the purchase.  No, I cannot go down the gnarliest trails I can do, but the ride quality and satisfaction are second to none.  Worth it all for sure.

Jan. 23, 2019, 4:23 a.m.

That Chromag Rootdown and Stylus are two beauties. Oh my god.

Jan. 23, 2019, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Some really nice Chromags. I agree, the rootbeer one is spectacular despite a rocky start to its life.

Mine is slowly coming together. Some Ti King Cages will complete things. Should be finished in a week or two.

Which Lynskey frame is that?  Thanks!

Jan. 23, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

snip

Hope 35W wheels? Don't suppose there's a chance you could do me a small favour and measure those 2.8's lug to lug and the highest point of the tire measured from the rear axle for me? ;)

Jan. 23, 2019, 5:19 p.m.

Yup. The rear (2.8 DHR on a hope 35w) is 69mm lug to lug, center of rear axle to tallest point around 365mm.

Lug to lug is with calipers so that is pretty accurate. The 365mm could be plus or minus a few mm as it's a little tough to measure. Tire is at 18psi. 

Tomorrow the 29ers go on - 2.6" SE5 on the front and 2.4" XR4 on the back. I am interested in the comparison...

Jan. 23, 2019, 10:21 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Posted by: RAHrider

Which Lynskey frame is that?  Thanks!

Bootleg. A UK online store had it custom made for them. Can't wait to see how it rides - 64 deg head tube and all......

Should have the rest of the build ready to go by next week.

Jan. 24, 2019, 2:32 p.m.

Long time reader first time participant here.  Loving this thread and the beautiful bikes here- that Passila is stunning. 

Here is my current set up: