NSMB - 2019 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 31, 2019, 9:36 a.m.

New to me - Longest G16 with 29" wheels, now sporting dual offset shock bushings to drop the BB, a bump on the fork to 160mm and a Reverb, which thanks to still having my left thumb in a splint is running over the bars on the right. Oh and I finally attached a bottle cage.

A mish mash of old stuff (11spd XT, Bontrager wheels, RF Atlas FR cranks), cheap stuff (Yari, TRP Quadiems, cheap bar and stem) to get it coming in at a reasonable cost.

So far everything is peachy, climbing position feels great, descending feels so stable even when I'm going faster it doesn't feel like it. Stability is allowing me (forcing me?) to basically pick the line i want to be on and plow through it. Though thanks to the thumb in a splint situation it's not been tested on truly steep techy trails yet. I have gotten 14+ hours on it since the turn of the year so i'm feeling pretty happy with the blind decision to jump on it.

Jan. 31, 2019, 9:50 a.m.

What's the bb height/ht angle?

Jan. 31, 2019, 10:21 a.m.

BB height is around 345mm - same as my Slash, though with 165mm cranks; and the head angle should be somewhere around 60.5 according to Mojo. Though I can't really measure that.

Feb. 5, 2019, 3:33 p.m.

Just finished building up my Pole Evolink 158. I wrecked my Evo 140 a while ago and sent it in for warranty. It was a tedious annoying process but in the end they pulled through and made me happy so kudos to them. Build is as follows:

-Size L Evolink 158

-EXT Storia LOK shock

-Suntour Durolux 170mm

-Magura MT5 brakes

-Chris King hubs laced to WR1 Agent rims

-Cushcore front and rear

-9point8 Post 200mm

-Specialized Phenom saddle

-Xt cranks with 34T Oval ring from Oneup

-Oneup chainguide

-Saint pedals

-Renthal Fatbar35 40mm rise

-Race Face stem 50mm

-Oury grips

-Eagle gx shifting

Feb. 5, 2019, 3:50 p.m.

Wow, lots of cool stuff there! Glad Pole figured it out and got you sorted.

Interested how you get on with the fork and shock!

Feb. 5, 2019, 3:57 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Wow, lots of cool stuff there! Glad Pole figured it out and got you sorted.

Interested how you get on with the fork and shock!

So far so good. The shock is over the top amazing, I've never felt anything quite like it tbh. The fork feels nice and stiff but the setup I'm still working on. The only ride was down Burke on a steep loamer so tough to tell right away. Few more rides I'll get both sorted but so far im happy.

Feb. 5, 2019, 4:25 p.m.

Those shocks look really cool and have heard good reviews. What's the weight on that bad boy? Wouldn't expect it to be light especially with that huge frame but it must go down anything.

Feb. 5, 2019, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Those shocks look really cool and have heard good reviews. What's the weight on that bad boy? Wouldn't expect it to be light especially with that huge frame but it must go down anything.

It actually feels lighter than the Sentinel it replaced believe it or not. My arm scale guess is 33 pounds.

Feb. 5, 2019, 5:58 p.m.

Posted by: ehfour

Posted by: JBV

that's what i mean though. Harper has the terrain and high speeds where the new patrol would really shine. going up Harper, well it's going to suck either way, but at least the climbing position is comfortable on that bike , so you can enjoy the misery so to speak.  do people ride e-bikes up that mtn?

TBH- I didnt know people rode down harper..i thought it was the price to pay to get to the trails..like Fromme

And yes, EVERYTIME I ride Im passed by at least 1 ebike and a few times dirt bikes.

Lol JBV means Harper in Kamloops. Ehfour means Harper road on Burke.

Feb. 9, 2019, 11:38 p.m.

NBD - plastic and big wheels. I quickly set pressures according to weight when I got it home and then took it out for a spin and it pretty much does exactly what I was looking for. I've made a few changes already incl swapping out the seat, chromag seat coller instead of the qr, new cable on the dropper cause I had it sitting higher out of the frame than the po, made a custom bar mount for the dropper out of an old shimano 8spd shifter I had lying around and put on a slightly longer (+5mm) stem. When I first started climbing I had to stop and slide the seat forward a bit b/c the po had it back of centre and I felt like I was sitting over the rear tire too much. Of course made the cockpit feel a bit short but now with  the extra 5mm on the stem it feels about perfect.

Feb. 10, 2019, 8:08 a.m.

It looks mint. Congrats on the find.

Yup getting the cockpit length to within <5mm of ideal is always priority #1 for me too. If that doesn't work out step #2 is posting a for sale ad lol.

Can't tell which tires are on there. Those working out? I suppose faster rubber would have to wait till the thaw anyhow.

Feb. 24, 2019, 7:31 a.m.

I picked up UFO's Devinci Django 29 (or Devinci Troy 111, as I've been calling it) and just built it up with parts from my hardtail. I debated long and hard about whether I was ready to move on from the Rootdown BA and figured I'd give it a go. They say steel hardtail frames are compliant, but sometimes you want just a bit more of that. My other bike is a Norco Range 29 with 170 mm fork, so I'm hoping there won't be too much overlap. I may drop down the fork's travel on this one.

The build includes a Pike set at 150 with the Debonair shaft (one of the better $50 upgrades I've done), Arc 27 rims with Hope rear hub, X Fusion Manic 150 post, Race Face Atlas cockpit, Shimano XTR shifter, SLX derailleur, XT 11-46 cassette, Turbine cranks with Enduro BB92 to 30mm bottom bracket, XT M8000 brakes.

The frame itself is about 8.2 lbs and the bike as currently built is just under 33 lbs! Yikes! But I am running ~1000 g tires front and back and a CushCore in the rear (necessary on the hardtail), so I could probably drop a couple pounds there.

Last edited by: D_C_ on Feb. 24, 2019, 8:03 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
Feb. 24, 2019, 7:29 p.m.

2017 Range A7.3

2017 Norco Range 7.3 in full winter mode. Not much left stock. XT cranks + shifter + derailleur + cassette, XTR BB, SLX brakes, RF Turbine stem and SixC bar, CB DH pedals and RF Chesters, Blackspire chain thingy.

I put a Charger 2 damper and Debonair into the Yari making it a Lyrik (also bumped the travel to 180mm but jury is out on that) and Monarch RC3 rear shock. Replaced the stock 2.3 with a 2.6 DHF front tire as well but I think I'm going back to a 2.5 as I find it too bouncy unless the air pressure is spot on. Mudhugger rear and old school THE front fender off my old Banshee Scream. This is my first new bike since 2002 so it's been great!

Last edited by: flowrider on Feb. 24, 2019, 7:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 25, 2019, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

I picked up UFO's Devinci Django 29 (or Devinci Troy 111, as I've been calling it) and just built it up with parts from my hardtail. I debated long and hard about whether I was ready to move on from the Rootdown BA and figured I'd give it a go. They say steel hardtail frames are compliant, but sometimes you want just a bit more of that. My other bike is a Norco Range 29 with 170 mm fork, so I'm hoping there won't be too much overlap. I may drop down the fork's travel on this one.

The build includes a Pike set at 150 with the Debonair shaft (one of the better $50 upgrades I've done), Arc 27 rims with Hope rear hub, X Fusion Manic 150 post, Race Face Atlas cockpit, Shimano XTR shifter, SLX derailleur, XT 11-46 cassette, Turbine cranks with Enduro BB92 to 30mm bottom bracket, XT M8000 brakes.

The frame itself is about 8.2 lbs and the bike as currently built is just under 33 lbs! Yikes! But I am running ~1000 g tires front and back and a CushCore in the rear (necessary on the hardtail), so I could probably drop a couple pounds there.

sweet ride, similar to mine.

Feb. 28, 2019, 3:34 a.m.

Slightly different look for the Madonna this year, the black has gone (mostly because the British weather & a few uplifts had battered it). So went paintless. Now spent some more time on this thing & continue to be impressed. Despite it's size and weight, it really does crawl up everything. Coming back down is a test of nerve. Looking forward to getting racing on it now. Back in BC for a month this summer & really looking forward to riding this thing out there :)