NSMB - 2018 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 6, 2019, 1:09 a.m.

It's basically a 2016 honzo AL/DL on a 2018 steel frame. I need to get a shorter stem, and I'm considering trading out the fork for a 140mm. But so far its great.

It really feels like an updated and modern version of that old fire mountain I kept for far too long. Still tons of fun, but overall a more comfortable less hand numbing, less twitchy, and more controlled experience. It's kind of strange that what is essentially a 32 pound XC bike can warm my cockles, but it do.

Only thing I miss is that glorious orange paint.

Last edited by: FlightlessLobster on Jan. 7, 2019, 7:44 p.m., edited 6 times in total.
Jan. 6, 2019, 1:21 p.m.

Get a DHR2 in 3.0 or Bonty SE5 if you want something similar but not Maxxis.

Jan. 8, 2019, 5:35 a.m.

Photo of my then stock Norco Torrent 2 HT, size XL. I've since upgraded a few small parts here and there, but otherwise it's still just as it came from the shop. Super fun, simple bike.

Norco Torrent HT

Last edited by: gdharries on Jan. 8, 2019, 5:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2019, 5:38 a.m.

Posted by: FlightlessLobster

It's basically a 2016 honzo AL/DL on a 2018 steel frame. I need to get a shorter stem, and I'm considering trading out the fork for a 140mm. But so far its great.

It really feels like an updated and modern version of that old fire mountain I kept for far too long. Still tons of fun, but overall a more comfortable less hand numbing, less twitchy, and more controlled experience. It's kind of strange that what is essentially a 32 pound XC bike can warm my cockles, but it do.

Only thing I miss is that glorious orange paint.

I really dig that purple.

Jan. 10, 2019, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: gdharries

Photo of my then stock Norco Torrent 2 HT, size XL. I've since upgraded a few small parts here and there, but otherwise it's still just as it came from the shop. Super fun, simple bike.

Norco Torrent HT

These look like killer bikes for the price. How are the brakes and fork treating you? How many KM so far?

Jan. 12, 2019, 6:08 a.m.

@heathen I wrote a review back in June, a few weeks after I got the Torrent.

The fork took some time to break in, so now it's more plush (and I get all of its travel; an issue in the beginning) but it's a pretty simple unit. There's next to no adjustment on the Zeron and while it's torsionally stiff, if you're used to a Pike or something like that, the Zeron will disappoint. If I could afford a fork upgrade, I would invest in something better.

In regards to the brakes, I've had no complaints. I also have Tektro brakes on my fat bike and after four years in the harshness of a Yukon winter, they are still going strong and stop reliably.

As you say, these are killer bikes for the price. I wanted something that was fun, versatile, strong, reliable and cheap...and the Torrent is definitely all of those.

Jan. 12, 2019, 9:31 a.m.

Asking a lot, I know, but can anyone running 27.5x2.8's give me a measurement in mm of chainstay/seatstay clearance? I bought my Marino frame about a year ago, before I had a job, with the intention of running it with plus tires and I'm curious if the clearance I have will be enough. Here it is with all the parts from my 26" wheeled Trek Scratch...

July 12, 2019, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: legbacon

Moxie

My Pipedream Moxie.  A ridiculously capable and fun bike.

Just thought I'd throw this out there as I read that Legbacon AKA Travis Bickle AKA Jerry passed away - mid trail ride.

RIP Jerry, hope you're shredding the trails on the other side.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mountain-biker-found-dead-on-vancouver-island-trails.html

July 14, 2019, 9:50 a.m.

shit, that sux. RIP

July 14, 2019, 9:13 p.m.

Mtn. biking's lost an eminently ebullient participant.

Once gave him a chiding at mtbr. and got him to admit he'd never actually driven a taxi.

RIP Jerry.

Last edited by: tungsten on July 15, 2019, 12:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2019, 12:51 a.m.

Shit. RIP Travis. Always was a good source of info and entertainment on mtbr