NSMB - 2018 - Hardtail Thread

Aug. 30, 2018, 1:08 p.m.

So I updated my Single Speed calculator.  Now you get all possible gear ratios in a nice table. 

https://goo.gl/forms/uD9uy0h4SZghqlF33

Something I learned.  The Chromag Primer and Rootdown BA have a magic gear.  30-19 shouldn't even require a chain tensioner.  Less than 1mm of tensioning required (0.66 mm).  This also gives you a pretty nice gear ratio (1.58).  Somebody want to test this out?  Make sure my math is accurate.  If you're in North Van / the Sea to Sky I might even lend you a 19 tooth cog.

Aug. 30, 2018, 3:22 p.m.

Thanks, man. I am setting PR's on it on every ride!

Sept. 16, 2018, 10:58 a.m.

This has been an absolute blast so far. Still getting used to picking better line choices than I normally crash through on my Patrol but the speed this thing picks up is unbelievable, so much fun!

Sept. 16, 2018, 11:10 a.m.

Sick Primer.  Matches the Chevy nicely.  

How are the Hope crankset?  Thinking of getting a set myself.  Can't find their cheap speciality BB tool though.

Sept. 16, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

How are the Hope crankset?  Thinking of getting a set myself.  Can't find their cheap speciality BB tool though.

I got my hope BB and the hope specific tool from fanatik in bham.

Sept. 16, 2018, 9:22 p.m.

So far so good. I'm using an Enduro bb92 bearing set and had them pressed in at the shop. Crankset came with all the tools I need to install and remove

Sept. 17, 2018, 9:35 p.m.

You can borrow my bb tool if you decide to get one. I got mine in PG for 25~ bucks

Sept. 19, 2018, 9:28 p.m.

Posted by: BurkeMtnRider

You can borrow my bb tool if you decide to get one. I got mine in PG for 25~ bucks

Cool.  If I order their crankset I'll keep that in mind.

Oct. 9, 2018, 9:41 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

met Sam at his Naked bikes shop this weekend. hard to believe but it looks like longer is coming. at least in the hardtail world. the powers that be in that realm have been testing longer and longer and loving it. and we'll be seeing this in production bikes as well. i've been advised to 'stay tuned'. at 6 5 he had interesting thoughts on geometry. i'm not sure how i would transport or store one of these new fangled beasts.

I have an XL Pole Evolink with a 1350mm wheelbase. At 6'6" it's the first bike I've ever had that fits right. But it presents some interesting logistical challenges. Transporting it using an NSR4 is only possible on the road and then not always. There is significantly reduced ground clearance - I've bumped the rear wheel on the ground and popped the head tube out of the cradle going up very steep driveway/curb transitions. That can be exciting when your bike smashes on the ground and is getting dragged while you decide when you should stop in traffic to remount your bike. Negotiating water bars off road is strictly forbidden now. If I set the rack to sit any higher the front wheel won't clear my parkade gate. I'm fine with this as I don't shuttle much anyway. 

A horizontal tray rack might be an option but I wonder just how much bike can safely protrude on either side of your vehicle?

Oct. 9, 2018, 3:16 p.m.

Turn the handlebars around backwards to fit the mega LONG bike on the rack. Someone posted a pick somewhere on social media of their new Sick hardtail and the only way they got it to fit the rack was to spin around the bars.  Not sure if that will work on a NSR, mine is out on loan so I can't test it.

Regarding "it's coming" yes longer is coming, but the mainstream brands are still going to be slow in getting there. The thing to find out is when is too long too long?

Oct. 10, 2018, 2:06 p.m.

Damn you guys posting pics of sexy hardtails.

Oct. 10, 2018, 2:56 p.m.

S

Posted by: auzz-man

This has been an absolute blast so far. Still getting used to picking better line choices than I normally crash through on my Patrol but the speed this thing picks up is unbelievable, so much fun!

So how is that Primer a blast? Picks up speed well, ok, but isn't that more about wheel size than it being a hard tail?

Oct. 12, 2018, 11:29 p.m.

Here is a recently retired period piece. Farewell noble steed, you've served me well.

Dec. 5, 2018, 5:12 p.m.

Hey peeps, just ordered me an NS eccentric ALU 27.5 build with a 140mm up front. Anyone riding one of these guys and got any info or opinions for me?

Dec. 13, 2018, 8:18 a.m.

Any recommendations for a longer reach pumptrack / BMX track hardtail? (i'm too old for DJ's..)

My old hardtail feels way too short now that i'm riding a long AM bike.