NSMB - 2018 - Hardtail Thread

June 12, 2018, 1:04 p.m.

Went for a ride with some friends who were both on hardtails. One Surface and other Ti Hummer. My want for a modern hardtail is now very high.

June 13, 2018, 9:06 a.m.

Posted by: TheWhiz

That's awesome. Dumb question for you, is it hard to set up the Stinger to tension the chain? I have a rootdown and sometimes think I would like to try it as a singlespeed. I have another bike I converted to ss with a dmr kit (it's not too bad) but this looks like it would be cleaner and perhaps hold better (as the iscg has 3 holes instead of something that just attaches to the derailleur hanger.) Is installing the stinger and setting up the tension for the chain as easy as I would think it is?

It was pretty easy. 3 screws. Most chain rings don't seem to interfere with the screw holes.

I personally liked the Stinger because it was nice and clean looking.

Stinger

Edit to add:  The Stinger becomes less effective on smaller chain rings.  I wouldn't go any smaller than a 28.  The photo above is a 32 tooth.

Last edited by: extraspecialandbitter on June 13, 2018, 9:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 13, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

Thanks for the information.  Very tempting.  I currently run a 30 tooth narrow wide but would probably go 32 non-narrow wide (so I can run a half-link if necessary) and start with 19 or 20 tooth cog (on my 29er.)

Cheers.

June 13, 2018, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: TheWhiz

Thanks for the information. Very tempting. I currently run a 30 tooth narrow wide but would probably go 32 non-narrow wide (so I can run a half-link if necessary) and start with 19 or 20 tooth cog (on my 29er.)

Cheers.

I don't think you can run a half link on a narrow wide. The link itself is too skinny. And it would mess the timing of the chain up since you would have an odd number of links. So every 2nd revolution your narrow would attempt to mate to your wide and vice versa.

Last edited by: extraspecialandbitter on June 13, 2018, 10:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 24, 2018, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: extraspecialandbitter

I don't think you can run a half link on a narrow wide. The link itself is too skinny. And it would mess the timing of the chain up since you would have an odd number of links. So every 2nd revolution your narrow would attempt to mate to your wide and vice versa.

Yep, that's why it would be NON-skinny wide.  ;)

Did some experimenting by riding my rootdown for long periods of time in 30x21.  Damn, that starts to get really tough (clearly I need to man up.)  Found 30x24 quite useable but the trip to/from the trailhead would be torture.  Still going to experiment.

July 10, 2018, 12:45 a.m.

What does the BA part of a Rootdown BA mean?

July 10, 2018, 1:13 a.m.

BAD ASS

July 10, 2018, 8:20 a.m.

Posted by: FlightlessLobster

https://goo.gl/images/K7Kdea

Last edited by: craw on July 10, 2018, 8:20 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 10, 2018, 10:55 p.m.

Better Angles (than the first gen Rootdown)

July 14, 2018, 8:30 a.m.

Big ass aka boost axle.

July 14, 2018, 12:49 p.m.

I got my Primer last August as I was leaving Whistler for the season, so I didn't get a chance to really put the bike through its paces until recently. 

I've only ever ridden burly 160mm dualies around B.C. I was — and still am — full of self-doubt and apprehension when dropping into a trail for the first time on this hardtail.

"Will I be able to do this?"

"No margin for error here. Don't f*ck up."

I've now spent the last couple weeks up and down the coast, revisiting trails one-by-one. From the machine-built flow in Bellingham, to the steep ass gnar of Whistler's west side, I think I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with this whole "steel is real" thing.

It's amazing how quickly the self-doubt disappears — often within the first couple turns. Yes, on occasion, the lack of suspension is quick to remind me when I am being lazy with my body position, but most of the time it just feels like home.

Mostly out of self-preservation, I am picking my way through cleaner lines — lines that feel slower, but somehow, end up just as fast as when I used to "point and shoot". And, of course, this thing is crushing the climbs.

I haven't been this excited in years to ride the same old trails, and I have my Primer to thank for that! Love it!

July 16, 2018, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

besides the major love in for Chromag hardtails, and i desperately want one as well, perhaps even higher on my list is a Transition Throttle.  rare as hens teeth, i've never even seen one. i'm not sure if a carbon hardtail is nearly as tough as a steel bike though.

I took a Vanquish out for a test ride at Transition HQ. I'm pretty sure they have Throttles to demo as well. To my surprise, I loved it. It was a bit on the small side for me but I really liked riding it.

July 21, 2018, 6:14 p.m.

My new ride.  Cannot say enough.....

July 21, 2018, 6:15 p.m.

July 23, 2018, 10:28 a.m.

Posted by: blackfly

They say a picture is worth a thousand words though.