NSMB - 2018 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 24, 2018, 10:21 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: DaveM

This is my trail/xc/enduro/park bike.

So how does that "forward s/t" arrangement to make up for the slack s/t angle work out in real life?

feels like a normal bike, never put much thought into it.

Jan. 29, 2018, 5:57 p.m.

Kinetik Cycles started carrying Norco this year so I decided to pick up a Range C7.1. I swapped out a few stock parts for a 150mm Fox Transfer post, 165mm Shimano XT cranks, OneUp oval ring and some ODI Rogue grips. Might also swap out the Guides for Codes at some point depending on how things go. Coming off the Shimano SLX brakes on my Slayer, the Guides' modulation feels amazing, but they don't seem to have the same stopping power. I'm also going to take the bike to Ride Wrap for a full vinyl wrap. I wrapped my own bike for the first time last year and decided that I would rather pay someone to do it the next time. I'll let everyone know how it goes. 

Norco Range C7.1

Norco Range C7.1

Norco Range C7.1

Feb. 1, 2018, 4:05 p.m.

That Range is gorgeous. Just curious why you went Slayer to Range?

Feb. 2, 2018, 4:43 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

That Range is gorgeous. Just curious why you went Slayer to Range?

A good deal came up on the Range and I couldn't pass it up. Although I had nothing bad to say about the Slayer, I also just thought it would be fun to try a different bike to see how they compare.

Feb. 3, 2018, 9:33 a.m.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Why-That-Bike-Rocky-Mountain-Slayer,2183

Interesting how many people bought the Slayer and are no longer on them.

#nodignoride

Feb. 3, 2018, 3:10 p.m.

all the guys at the LBS bought Slayers as they came out and none have them now. they all said it was the best bike ever, but...

...now they all ride long travel 29'ers. Betcha'.

like swingers swap wives.

lol...you know this how?

Feb. 3, 2018, 7:27 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

and how do they compare?

Haven't put much time on the Range yet, but quite similar. I find it really difficult to compare without doing a back-to-back ride, but if I had to give an opinion, I'd say that the Range leans towards traction and the Slayer to pedaling efficiency.

March 9, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

Not a new frame but a lot of changes this year. Sold my DH bike last year as all I was riding was my Blur including at the park, dumped the proceeds into this bike. 

Did the full winter tear down and rebuild then:

Added IRT to the Mattoc Pro

Added Cane Creek DB Air CS upgrade from the stock Fox

Added Easton Haven Carbon bars with Chomag Liason grips

Finally went Tubeless

Added Saint BB

Added Crank Bros Mallet E LS -- switching back to clips after 4 years on flats

Still the same 26" e.Thirteen TRS rims laced to Hope Pro2s running Minions

Just picked up a Minion SS for the dry months, looks like it will be a fast tire with good turning grip.

Haven't ridden yet as we are buried in snow. Heading to Vancouver next week and will be bringing it along. 

April 1, 2018, 10:07 a.m.

Here is my contribution to the 2018 thread. Took me awhile to gather all the parts. Mix n' match of mostly new, with a few older bits from my previous ride.

Frame: 2018 Turner RFX (L)

Fork: Cane Creek Helm Air (currently at 160mm)

Shock: CCDBA CS

Dropper Post: BikeYoke Revive 160mm

Saddle: Chromag Moon DT

Stem: Chromag Ranger 50mm

Handlebar: RaceFace SixC 31.8

Grips: TLD

Shifter: XTR 1x11

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR GS

Chainring: Oneup Switch 28T Oval

Cassette: Shimano 11-42 + OneUp 47t extender

Bottom Bracket: Chris King PF30

Crank: RaceFace Cinch SixC (170mm)

Chain: XT

Pedals: OneUp composite

Brakes/Rotor: Saint 203mm/180mm

Rims: Stans Flow Mk3 (Dt Swiss Comp Spokes and Prolock nipples)

Hubs: Chris King 142mm Rear, Chris King 15x100mm front (MRP Boost adapted to 110mm)

Chainguide: OneUp Bashguide

Tires: Bontrager SE4 Team Issue 27.5x2.4 (currently with tubes, but will convert later)

Invisiframe wrapped (time consuming but great results!)

Weight: 32lbs

Last edited by: shoreboy on April 3, 2018, 3:43 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Picture added
June 4, 2018, 8:03 p.m.

Thought I would up my Enduro racing this year so I bought a Norco Range C7.2. The bike is a beast, just cuts through rough.

I have changed a few parts for my personal taste. Minion 2.3 tires, Atlas pedals, Specialized Power saddle, Chomage HiFi stem and Cutlass carbon bar. Comes in at 31pounds 11oz.

June 5, 2018, 10:44 a.m.

holy crap how hard can it be to post an image. do you guys all have computer science degrees or teenage kids or something??

https://imgur.com/5scCMEH

https://i.imgur.com/5scCMEH.jpg

June 5, 2018, 10:08 p.m.

This is my fully for the foreseeable future. Pictured here in bike park mode with 2.5" dh tires on 26" wheels. Also have day to day 27.5 wheels for her. And it's a very fluorescent orange, very.

June 6, 2018, 11:16 a.m.

in regards to the black Patrol a post ago....

was overcome with an egregious case of upgradeitis on my 2016 Patrol this season. it all started with replacing the otherwise fine old style Turbine cranks with a new cinch set at 170 to mitigate pedal strikes. i think it's a bit easier on the knees too. then the dominos started to fall.... rear wheel was not looking great on a shitty hub so i went to town. DT Swiss 521 fat boys laced to Hope hubs with Sapim race spokes, brass nips all silver. stunning. i wanted the option for truly fat rubber so i threw caution to the wind and found a veritable deal on an unused 2018 Fox 36 RC2 factory fork. i mean it's only money right? MM 2.6 and a huge SE4 2.6 with scant millimetres clearance in the back.

went from 10 speed to 11 with xt shifter and der, and went right mad with an X01 11-42 cassette (in for a penny, in for a few pounds eh?). over the winter i had the rear shock Vorsprung traction tuned. at this point, having lost my marbles entire and spent a small fortune in the process, i'd have to say the bike is completely customized diaded in and fairly spectacular.

Hah, that's a lot of new kit. How did you find the Tractive tune on the shock? I have a Luftkappe in my Pike and it transformed the fork so I think highly of Vorsprung. Have wondered what the custom tuning would be like.

June 6, 2018, 12:45 p.m.

I just did my 36 and my rear shock with the Corset. Bike is glued too the ground now . Vorsprung has their game right very happy with the parts.

June 6, 2018, 8:08 p.m.

"too"

"to"

pedal strikes

It's the Transition way. I used offset bushings.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 6, 2018, 8:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.