NSMB - 2018 - DH/Park Bike Thread

Jan. 9, 2018, 1 p.m.

Man the DH side of things sounds GLOOMY.

My DH bike was ridden once last year. Whistler Bike Park. I doubt I'll sell it any time soon. 26", non-boost, aluminum with............gasp.....Elixirs!!!

Last edited by: Dean-W on Jan. 9, 2018, 1:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2018, 2:23 p.m.

I don't care if it sounds Gloomy, just ride what you enjoy. Let everyone else worry about if they are doing the 'in' thing.

I love riding a DH sled. Nothing comes close to smashing through sections on one.

Jan. 9, 2018, 9:37 p.m.

there just won't be time to be gone from the house to Whistler from 8am-8pm to ride the bike park. That and the whole injury risk thing...

Ironically, I got back into riding WBP after 2 kids, ours were 3 and 1 this summer. 2 summers ago was the first time I've been back in close to 10 years. As suggested, we make it an annual summer trip for 4-6 days, make sure the wifey gets a day in at the Scandinave in exchange. I found Whistler a pretty chill family oriented place to hang for a stretch of a few days in a row. 

I found the 1.5 days I get to ride in the park so much more rewarding, and I don't have to go fast or big to get my kicks these days. The trails I enjoy most, my AM bike did more than well enough for me.

The whole injury scare thing is real.

Jan. 9, 2018, 10:06 p.m.

G etting
L oose
O n
O riginal Sin and
M onkey Hands
Y a!

Thread killer

Jan. 10, 2018, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

Posted by: grambo

2018 will be my last summer with a DH bike for a while... wifey is pregnant and as a weekend warrior, there just won't be time to be gone from the house to Whistler from 8am-8pm to ride the bike park. That and the whole injury risk thing... I sincerely hope real DH bikes continue to improve and be a thing for when kids are a bit older.

Will post an update of the rig here after I make a few updates this winter.

Hey, having young kids and riding in Whistler works for me. I take the whole family out there and we have a blast. The kids hit the park while I hit the park and then we all hit the skills park. We also sometimes get the Whistler nanny service, they happily wander round the village with the kids for a few hours so we both can ride together. It sure beats trying to struggle to get a full day of riding somewhere else.

I'm pretty happy with my Maiden, going to upgrade the cheese wheels this year and maybe the suspension if I can find a deal. Roll on summer!!!

Nice tip, good to know. This is our first (due in August) so I'm expecting to stop riding park this fall and the next couple years until they are older and we can go up to Whistler as a family and not just have one of us stuck in a hotel with an infant. Definitely looking forward to getting the kids into the park (and DFX camps etc) when they are older. Maybe I'll be able to ride with them for a couple years until they get too good and drop me!

On topic, YT Tues prices a couple hundred bucks lower across the board for basically the same build. Still confused why anyone would pay double for a V10.

Last edited by: grambo on Jan. 10, 2018, 11:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 10, 2018, 10:08 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

On topic, YT Tues prices a couple hundred bucks lower across the board for basically the same build. Still confused why anyone would pay double for a V10.

I'm tempted. The used bike market has less XLs than I expected.

I'd like to size up from my L Kona Operator.