NSMB - 2018 - DH/Park Bike Thread

Jan. 4, 2018, 8:08 p.m.

This thread is dedicated to the Downhill / Free-Ride Bike / Slope Style Bike.

Use this thread to post up your Downhill / Free-Ride Bike and discuss away.

Feel free to share some details on your set-up, weight or whatever makes it special to you.

Is DH dead? 2016 and 2017 only saw a handful of posts and about 1,500 views. My first thread like this was the most popular thread on the NSMB gear forum….ever (200,000 views in 2008 ). Will 2018 see the DH bike disappear on the NSMB boards???

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 4, 2018, 8:19 p.m.

reserved for my ride

Jan. 4, 2018, 9:56 p.m.

e-bikes will save DH.

Pretty soon you won’t be allowed to pedal anywhere.

Jan. 5, 2018, 2:19 p.m.

2018 will be my last summer with a DH bike for a while... wifey is pregnant and as a weekend warrior, there just won't be time to be gone from the house to Whistler from 8am-8pm to ride the bike park. That and the whole injury risk thing... I sincerely hope real DH bikes continue to improve and be a thing for when kids are a bit older.

Will post an update of the rig here after I make a few updates this winter.

Jan. 5, 2018, 6:53 p.m.

Kids are older & so am I, but I will continue riding DH almost every weekend. I hope downhill doesn't die off.

Thread killer

Jan. 5, 2018, 7:44 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Kids are older & so am I, but I will continue riding DH almost every weekend. I hope downhill doesn't die off.

This is one of my major first world problems.

Everyone complained about golf because it took so much time.  I can get the fitness to ride up a trail, but if I get to ride downhill sevenfold versus the ride up, I just can't square that circle.

Jan. 7, 2018, 10:38 a.m.

I still ride my Cove STD I bought way back in 2007. It did not see a lot of action for quite a few years but got eventually dusted off at the start of last year's season. No longer living together with the mother of my son means I feel at times rather spoiled. Kid is in primary school and loves park riding. This year is going to be way more funner I hope, plan is to get him a used full-suspension bike from Kona maybe. Or go full broke for a Propain 24" that can be turned into a 26" which would equal more time on that bike and not having to buy another one in two years.

Jan. 7, 2018, 1 p.m.

I’ve got a 2015 Banshee Legend that’ll hit WBP with a season pass (with my 13yo). Looking forward to it!!!

I’ll probably give my E29 a go in the park too but I like having a DH bike and I like having reasons to have a DH bike, so I don’t want to learn that the E29 is also a good park bike! Plus the wear and tear on the E29 would get a bit heavy.

Jan. 8, 2018, 6:27 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I’ve got a 2015 Banshee Legend that’ll hit WBP with a season pass (with my 13yo). Looking forward to it!!!

I’ll probably give my E29 a go in the park too but I like having a DH bike and I like having reasons to have a DH bike, so I don’t want to learn that the E29 is also a good park bike! Plus the wear and tear on the E29 would get a bit heavy.

Nothing beats a DH for just smashing through rough tech stuff and smoothing out the brake bumps. I've talked to a few high level riders (national enduro series dudes) that say they prefer their 160-170mm bikes and can go faster in the park, but those dudes weigh 150lbs and are stupidly talented.

Jan. 8, 2018, 10:38 p.m.

I'm currently out of money for bike #2 so I took my Process153 and it was pretty damn good. I think I'll definitely need to invest in some burlier wheels for this summer, but I can't help looking at those used made-for-park bikes that are out there like the older maidens, STDs and A-Lines

Jan. 8, 2018, 11:27 p.m.

I appreciate pedaling up for the goods, but given there are endless powder days in the summer I struggle to make sense of the angst towards those of us who like to fall down mountains.

I have mathematical proofs showing how much better 39 downhills are better than one, but I'm considered the heathen.

I'm in Whistler a lot.  Come to me people.

Jan. 9, 2018, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

2018 will be my last summer with a DH bike for a while... wifey is pregnant and as a weekend warrior, there just won't be time to be gone from the house to Whistler from 8am-8pm to ride the bike park. That and the whole injury risk thing... I sincerely hope real DH bikes continue to improve and be a thing for when kids are a bit older.

Will post an update of the rig here after I make a few updates this winter.

Hey, having young kids and riding in Whistler works for me. I take the whole family out there and we have a blast. The kids hit the park while I hit the park and then we all hit the skills park. We also sometimes get the Whistler nanny service, they happily wander round the village with the kids for a few hours so we both can ride together. It sure beats trying to struggle to get a full day of riding somewhere else.

I'm pretty happy with my Maiden, going to upgrade the cheese wheels this year and maybe the suspension if I can find a deal. Roll on summer!!!

Jan. 9, 2018, 10:27 a.m.

"We also sometimes get the Whistler nanny service, they happily wander round the village with the kids for a few hours so we both can ride together."

Wait, what?

Jan. 9, 2018, 11:58 a.m.

Yup!

Whistler Nanny's or something like that they are called. My GF knows the scoop best, but for $15 p/h they will take your kids off for a few hours and hit the park while you ride. I think there is a minimum time restriction, which I believe is 3 hours. They also obviously operate during the winter too. but in the winter you need a base for them to be in as you don't want them dragging your kids around in the cold for 3 hours.

All the girls that we have used before have been excellent. And we have never had a issue with them not turning up etc. They will even meet you in the day lots and then you can just go straight to the lift line. It was a revelation when we found out about it.

Jan. 9, 2018, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I appreciate pedaling up for the goods, but given there are endless powder days in the summer I struggle to make sense of the angst towards those of us who like to fall down mountains.

I have mathematical proofs showing how much better 39 downhills are better than one, but I'm considered the heathen.

I'm in Whistler a lot.  Come to me people.

Doing a few days in the park really gets the skills sharp. Do a couple days back to back in the bike park, then hit the local tech trails the next day. Overflowing with confidence and swagger is the result.