NSMB - 2017 - Hardtail Thread

Sept. 23, 2017, 3 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

Thats correct, just barely though. The main difference is the Primer has a 1* slacker head angle and a Press-fit bb. Apparently both are being built by Dekerf at the moment.

I ended up with a Rootdown BA because I personally couldn't justify the upcharge to the Surface; I'd be all over an off-shore version of the Surface. 

My BA is quite versatile with a 150mm fork, but it struggles on steep techy climbs with sharp switchbacks. Pointed downwards is where it shines, very brightly

The original Rootdown was an off-shore version of the Surface, I guess the BA is different?

Sept. 25, 2017, 7:39 a.m.

My new steed.

Brand new frame built with parts of my Rune.  2015 Kona Explosif.  I took it for a few rips this weekend.  Climbs are a bit rough on the body compared to the full sus, but this thing rips on the way down.  

Kona Explosif

Sept. 27, 2017, 12:10 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

The original Rootdown was an off-shore version of the Surface, I guess the BA is different?

Yeah, the BA is an off-shore version of the Primer. A 'regular' Rootdown to reflect the current Surface details and geometry would be my ideal.

Sept. 29, 2017, 2:38 p.m.

Posted by: PembyRocks

Few updates on mine since last year (Saint brakes, XTR cranks, XT wheels)

That is just plain sexy.

Oct. 6, 2017, 7:48 a.m.

There is very little chatter in this thread or on the NSMB forums lately.  

Let's talk wheels

I have a couple different sets of wheels that fit my hardtail.   I've ridden my Giant brand Carbon wheels 21mm inner width that came on a Trance, and I've ridden a set of 25mm inner width Stans Flows.  Both wheels have the same rear tire 27.5/650b  Maxxis DHR II 2.3 3C MAXX TERRA EXO/TR 28psi tubeless

Hands down the Stans wheel ride better, feel better and are way more comfortable.  They are heavier and it is felt a little on the climbs but the feel of the bike on the trail is soooooo much better with the Stans.  Whether it is because of the width or compliance of aluminum vs carbon I don't know.  One thing I do know for sure it that I prefer the Stans wheels.

What do some of you think of different wheels and tires.  What is your preferred with for rims and tires.  With winter coming, are you changing rubber?

Oct. 6, 2017, 6:16 p.m.

WEnt to f/r DHRII 3C TR on carbon wagon wheels for the winter. Have a few other tyres to mount up front if things get real dang this winter. 

DHRII is a better rear tyres in the dry than a Rock Razor IMO

Oct. 16, 2017, 6 p.m.

My Rootdown BA currently has a Butcher Control 2.3 in front and Slaughter Grid 2.3 in back. It's time to put on some winter rubber.

<div>I have a nearly new 2.3 High Roller 2 Exo someone gave me that I'll probably put on in front, and I think I'll move the Butcher to the back with a Huck Norris until I inevitably slash the sidewall.</div>

<div>I picked up a cheap set of Easton Heist 27 wheels in August and the rear has fared terribly. Knowing that the Arc rims are soft, I made sure to run extra-firm pressures but managed to get some significant lateral hops after just a few rides. The hub engagement is also noticeably lame. I've had a bad time with denting Arc rims on my AM bike as well, so I think it's time to be done with those.</div>

Oct. 17, 2017, 7:21 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

My Rootdown BA currently has a Butcher Control 2.3 in front and Slaughter Grid 2.3 in back. It's time to put on some winter rubber.

<div>I have a nearly new 2.3 High Roller 2 Exo someone gave me that I'll probably put on in front, and I think I'll move the Butcher to the back with a Huck Norris until I inevitably slash the sidewall.</div>

<div>I picked up a cheap set of Easton Heist 27 wheels in August and the rear has fared terribly. Knowing that the Arc rims are soft, I made sure to run extra-firm pressures but managed to get some significant lateral hops after just a few rides. The hub engagement is also noticeably lame. I've had a bad time with denting Arc rims on my AM bike as well, so I think it's time to be done with those.</div>

I am glad I read your post about the softness of the ACRs.  I was thinking of getting some ARC 30 hoops and build up some wheels for my HT but if they dent/hop/die easily I will need to find another brand of hoops.

Suggestions.......30mm inner width, will be set up tubeless, 27.5", reasonably light, aluminum for my hard tail.

Oct. 17, 2017, 8:38 a.m.

I've been quite pleased with the WTB i29 ASYM (29" version) that I got put on the back of my Rootdown & Stumpy.  It's dented, but that's because of a slow leak I kept riding on...no dents since I stopped that stupidity.  It also comes in a i35 version which I might try next time, see what all the wide rim fuss is about.

Oct. 17, 2017, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: Dean-W
Suggestions.......30mm inner width, will be set up tubeless, 27.5", reasonably light, aluminum for my hard tail.

DT EX511?

Nov. 1, 2017, 12:27 p.m.

So I finally decided that for my (now) local trails a hardtail with slightly more modern geo would be better suited than my 170mm travel old beast. Not to mention I wanted something that I could ride in the winter and not beat on the pivots of the fully, with a bit of bikepacking & trailer towing (maybe, because kid) thrown in. I decided, after seeing all the options on this side of the Atlantic, that I would give Marino Bikes out of Peru a chance. Initial impression... wow, it's been a long time since I had a hardtail. Climbs like a rocket and with new school geometry descends shockingly well. Really happy so far...

Last edited by: spotter on Nov. 1, 2017, 12:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 3, 2017, 12:39 p.m.

Looks like a sweet bike, congrats.

After riding almost 1.5k km in bikeparks this last season I have to admit I am really looking forward to riding my hardtail a bit more this coming winter, earning my turns and spending Xmas week down in Finale again.

Different stroke, but oh so rewarding. Lapping up park laps is nice, but cruising through the forests on trails and for some solitude is a totally different thing, kind of like with Single Malts, one day it is a Speyside, the other it might be an Islay.

I still have my black Stylus with 26" wheels, Maxxis DHF Exxo upfront, in the back an almost brandnew Maxxis DHR II sticky, so nice. Although the SLX brakes are a little bit "underwhelming" after having ridden almost exclusively my old trusty Gustav Ms., guess I just need to get used to riding a hardtail again after all.

Last edited by: Mic on Nov. 3, 2017, 12:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 4, 2017, 10:13 a.m.

2018 Torrent. Raceface, Shimano, Chromag build. Luftkappe'd Yari too.

Last edited by: RonBLee on Nov. 4, 2017, 10:19 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
Nov. 4, 2017, 3:36 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

nice photo. that'a beauty, i love that colour. very cool in person. they had one at North Shore Bikes recently and it just looked so cool. it was very reasonably priced, i was lusting after it. if i could justify it and had the room it would be a great fleet addition.

Yeah plus tires make hard tailing so awesome. I've always had them but the big rubber makes it so much fun.

Dec. 6, 2017, 2:22 p.m.

😜Sneak peak