NSMB - 2017 - Hardtail Thread

March 10, 2017, 8:46 p.m.

michell77: Why did you sell the Stylus?

March 13, 2017, 5:53 p.m.

Posted by: CB-Spoolmak

It wasn't an easy decision that's for sure 'cause it such a fun bike, but ultimately my riding doesn't warrant something that beefy.  The Stylus the way I had it built up (it was an older 26") was a beast and I used it for everything but decided that I would be better off with a lighter bike that I would enjoy more for climbing and longer days in the saddle.  After talking to the awesome crew at Chromag and discussing my riding needs, they recommended a Surface or Rootdown and offered me a deal on a leftover 2016 Surface.

New frame and other parts came in over the weekend and am building it up as we speak, so stoked!!

March 14, 2017, 11:15 p.m.

A quick snap to remember her by before she's stripped down for the FS build...she'll be back...

![]([url=https://flic.kr/p/SLyFNa][img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2909/33322141681_f60afe4c54_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/SLyFNa]IMG_3647[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/48329742@N06/]tashipeacock1[/url], on Flickr)

Last edited by: tashi on March 14, 2017, 11:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2017, 6:48 p.m.

Posted by: michel77

It wasn't an easy decision that's for sure 'cause it such a fun bike, but ultimately my riding doesn't warrant something that beefy. The Stylus the way I had it built up (it was an older 26") was a beast and I used it for everything but decided that I would be better off with a lighter bike that I would enjoy more for climbing and longer days in the saddle. After talking to the awesome crew at Chromag and discussing my riding needs, they recommended a Surface or Rootdown and offered me a deal on a leftover 2016 Surface.

New frame and other parts came in over the weekend and am building it up as we speak, so stoked!!

Well, to follow up on the above, I had my Surface out for the shakedown ride today and have zero regrets. They really did a great job with these frames, for my riding and the majority of my trails, I feel like this is about perfect. Climbing is 100% better than the Stylus and I don't miss anything on the downhill either, so I'm stoked!

Got it built up with some neat parts, NOBL wheels, bunch of Chromag parts, mix of SRAM and Shimano XTR on the drivetrain, etc. Came together pretty well and I'm loving it!

Pics:

Last edited by: michel77 on March 15, 2017, 6:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2017, 8:15 p.m.

michel77: That looks sweet, glad you are happy! I just snagged the last 26" M/L Stylus Chromag had. All my vintage parts from my Bullit will fit except the headset & seatpost. Can't wait!

March 16, 2017, 2:07 p.m.

michel77: That looks sweet, glad you are happy! I just snagged the last 26" M/L Stylus Chromag had. All my vintage parts from my Bullit will fit except the headset & seatpost. Can't wait!

You'll love the Stylus, it's such a monster rig and will eat anything you throw at it.  Just a little more burly than I need, but a great bike for sure!

March 17, 2017, 12:05 p.m.

michel, that Surface looks so dialed! The colour-matched decals on the fork tie it together really nicely.

March 20, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

stupid question but where is your dropper cable?? I see the hole on the seat tube but no cable???

March 20, 2017, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: nick

stupid question but where is your dropper cable?? I see the hole on the seat tube but no cable???

Its an external routed KS Lev. You can see the mechanism on the side near the seatpost collar. Before internal routing became an unnecessary fashion statement, all dropper posts were routed outside the frame this way.

Last edited by: shoreboy on March 20, 2017, 1:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 20, 2017, 1:50 p.m.

New Chromag Rootdown BA.... running 27.5+, MRP Stage fork, SRAM Eagle drivetrain, RF SixC crankset, OneUp Switch DM chainring 30t oval, HT T1 pedals, Blackspire chainguide, RF Arc 35s on Hope hubs with Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR2 2.8s, Chromag bar/stem/seatpost QR, Hope E4 brakes, Magura Vyron seatpost, ... pretty sick whip...

Last edited by: GladePlayboy on March 20, 2017, 1:52 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 21, 2017, 12:25 a.m.

That surface is the nicest bike i have seen for a while!

The Rootdown BA looks bad-ass too!

They are about the only 2 bikes I'd give up my "normal" Rootdown for...

March 22, 2017, 1:36 p.m.

This got me through the winter, surprisingly capable for an almost 10 year old frame. Definitely worthwhile to keep in the stable as a back up

Gladeplayboy, I love the green on that new Rootdown, but I'm biased since I'm building mine up right now also. Definitely a more pedestrian build compared to yours. You didn't keep your Surface together for very long? I almost pulled the trigger in the '17 Surface, but at the end my senses kicked in unfortunately.

Last edited by: UFO on March 22, 2017, 1:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2017, 8:14 p.m.

Posted by: GladePlayboy

New Chromag Rootdown BA.... running 27.5+, MRP Stage fork, SRAM Eagle drivetrain, RF SixC crankset, OneUp Switch DM chainring 30t oval, HT T1 pedals, Blackspire chainguide, RF Arc 35s on Hope hubs with Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR2 2.8s, Chromag bar/stem/seatpost QR, Hope E4 brakes, Magura Vyron seatpost, ... pretty sick whip...

Dude, nice build!  I'd love to hear how you like that SRAM Eagle setup!

March 23, 2017, 6:05 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

This got me through the winter, surprisingly capable for an almost 10 year old frame. Definitely worthwhile to keep in the stable as a back up

Gladeplayboy, I love the green on that new Rootdown, but I'm biased since I'm building mine up right now also. Definitely a more pedestrian build compared to yours. You didn't keep your Surface together for very long? I almost pulled the trigger in the '17 Surface, but at the end my senses kicked in unfortunately.

I originally picked up the Surface when there were no Rootdowns available... I really wanted the geo of the Rootdown/Primer so when it came back into stock I pulled the trigger.... both very capable frames I just tend to ride in zones where the extra slack HA is an advantage.

Last edited by: GladePlayboy on March 23, 2017, 6:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2017, 6:07 a.m.

Posted by: michel77

Posted by: GladePlayboy

Dude, nice build! I'd love to hear how you like that SRAM Eagle setup!

Thx... your Surface is super sweet as well..... the Eagle is amazing... not really much to say other than I came off XTR 11 speed and prefer the Eagle hands down. And I've been a Shimano man all my riding life so that says something. Paired with a OneUp Switch oval chainring and I can customize ratios in minutes... love it.

Last edited by: GladePlayboy on March 23, 2017, 6:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.