NSMB - 2017 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 29, 2017, 12:18 p.m.

Good to know. Forgot to mention though. This hardtail will be built upwith 26" wheels. So I think that is going to limit my hardtail search. The surge seems suited for either wheel size. The eccentric is nice just not sure how the old hoops would roll. Bb might be a bit low.

Jan. 29, 2017, 7:59 p.m.

Good to know. Forgot to mention though. This hardtail will be built upwith 26" wheels. So I think that is going to limit my hardtail search. The surge seems suited for either wheel size. The eccentric is nice just not sure how the old hoops would roll. Bb might be a bit low.

The Eccentric was designed to take both 26 and 650b. And having ridden both I can honestly say can't tell the difference.

The fork is a Fox 36 Talas RC2 and that is a front 650bx2.2 front wheel.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 30, 2017, 6:24 a.m.

Wow trying to find a decent price on either of these two fames which seem to be unavailable or unshippable. I might as well buy a brand new chromag stylus frame. Or used. Anyone?

Jan. 31, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

Isn't it easier to build compliance into a carbon vs. aluminium rim?

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's the way they're designed. Since the major benefits of carbon are stiffness and strength (at a given weight), those are the traits that are pursued more rigorously. There is certainly a difference in compliance across different carbon rims, but it's a lot more noticeable on a hardtail, and it's not a priority.

Jan. 31, 2017, 3:15 p.m.

Isn't it easier to build compliance into a carbon vs. aluminium rim?

Laterally stiff and vertically compliant.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 31, 2017, 7:47 p.m.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's the way they're designed. Since the major benefits of carbon are stiffness and strength (at a given weight), those are the traits that are pursued more rigorously. There is certainly a difference in compliance across different carbon rims, but it's a lot more noticeable on a hardtail, and it's not a priority.

Anither thing to factor into wheel compliance is the choice of spokes.

Feb. 1, 2017, 12:12 p.m.

I like that road warrior look. Those crank arms are worn down to bare aluminum. Impressive. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Though the XTR cranks came like that. But they are starting to show their mileage.

Got the next upgrade for the Samurai….140mm Pike. Need a little work as need the stiff spring.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 1, 2017, 1:05 p.m.

2017 Kona Big Honzo DL.

Swapped out the rubber for some real tires, installed a Turbine crank I had kicking around, and the KS Lev from my Process.

This is such a hilariously fun bike. I'm still tinkering with the tire pressures, but I'm pretty sold on the idea of 27.5+ now as a bike for just noodling around on and having fun.

lookatmybikeleaningagainststuff

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 1, 2017, 4:48 p.m.

Now you've done it. :drool: Whole bike or frame only?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 2, 2017, 1:18 a.m.

That looks spectacularly awesome!

I think I fell in love yesterday……saw a Masi Giramondo.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 2, 2017, 1:33 p.m.

Now you've done it. :drool: Whole bike or frame only?

Whole bike and swapped out tires, cranks, dropper. It's as fun as it looks.

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 2, 2017, 3:14 p.m.

Emailed chromag for frame availability a few days ago but haven't heard back yet. Am almost thinking a complete build. Wonder how flexible they at on builds hmmm

Feb. 5, 2017, 11:40 a.m.

Slightly off topic but it IS a hardtail…

Just ordered one of these for my 8 (nearly 9 year old), it'll get some decent pedals and some Schwalbe Rocket Rons set up tubeless (hopefully) from new. Lighter bars/post will probably follow pretty quickly . Will probably fit a nicer drivetrain in the summer too.

It comes in at 10.5kg which I reckon I could get down 10 relatively easily.

Can't wait for the trails to dry out a bit!

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/kids/junior

Feb. 5, 2017, 11:47 a.m.

That is a nice looking bike, pretty similar to the ht for my little one. He got a Kelly's Marc 90 for Xmas. And he is soo stoked on having proper brakes instead of his old V-brakes.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 8, 2017, 7:16 p.m.

Hey All,

Been lurking here a while and read through most of the hardtail threads running back to 2012. Sold my Stylus last December and awaiting delivery of a leftover 2016 Surface frame at the moment. Can't wait to get it build up and will get back with finished pics, in the meantime I'm running my Redline Monocog winter rig as a drop bar 29er, dinglespeed setup at the moment, getting me in shape pretty good :)