NSMB - 2017 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 11, 2017, 11:22 a.m.

Similar reason i moved from a Honzo to a v2 Rootdown (non BA). My idea for a ht was as an all around trail bike and the new crop of lls ht's are far more capable than I am as a rider. The trade offs to make a more shreddable dh ride took too much away from the all around nature of the bike, for me anyways

Having said that, the current Surface geo looks spot on for me without having to move up a size. I'd love to get my mitts on one of those.

Jan. 11, 2017, 2:48 p.m.

I guess I'd need a Boostinator but I'd like to get me grimy lil hands on a new Surface.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 24, 2017, 9:56 a.m.

Came across this one today, thought I might share…

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/464551//

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 24, 2017, 10:43 a.m.

Chromag Surface 27.5+…. my only bike at the moment. I love this ride. Soon to add Eagle and hopefully some carbon hoops to the mix.

I'll be curious to see which carbon wheels you choose and how they ride. Some are so stiff that I wonder how the back end will feel. Will be trying some carbon wheels on the Primer at some point but can already say that something like an Enve M70 would be brutal on the backside.

Jan. 24, 2017, 1:32 p.m.

i've been wondering about this. i've had the opportunity to ride my v1 surface back to back with bikes with more progressive geometry, mine and others, and the short reach and conservative geo are noticeable. i recently moved out east, where the trails are flatter and tighter - while i imagine the new crop of long/low/slack chromags are well suited for local and sea-to-sky riding, i've wondered whether they're less versatile than the last generation, and whether they'd suffer on less aggressive terrain

i am sure if you want to get right into it, a bike with slightly longer chainstays and steeper head tube might be better at flatter and faster terrain then what is in the sea to sky. but i would not trade the reach of a BA for that if my surface.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 24, 2017, 6:22 p.m.

I'll be curious to see which carbon wheels you choose and how they ride. Some are so stiff that I wonder how the back end will feel. Will be trying some carbon wheels on the Primer at some point but can already say that something like an Enve M70 would be brutal on the backside.

Isn't it easier to build compliance into a carbon vs. aluminium rim?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 25, 2017, 6:47 a.m.

i am sure if you want to get right into it, a bike with slightly longer chainstays and steeper head tube might be better at flatter and faster terrain then what is in the sea to sky. but i would not trade the reach of a BA for that if my surface.

thank you

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 26, 2017, 6:06 a.m.

Thinking the new Enve M60 Plus rims… apparently they have some extra compliance built into them… we will see..

The RF Arc 35s I am running are taking a shit kicking at low psi…

Jan. 26, 2017, 1:58 p.m.

i've been wondering about this. i've had the opportunity to ride my v1 surface back to back with bikes with more progressive geometry, mine and others, and the short reach and conservative geo are noticeable. i recently moved out east, where the trails are flatter and tighter - while i imagine the new crop of long/low/slack chromags are well suited for local and sea-to-sky riding, i've wondered whether they're less versatile than the last generation, and whether they'd suffer on less aggressive terrain

Where you move out east?

Possibly the geometry might have an effect on the eastern type trails. But you can argue what geometry and such is perfect for riding out east but if you personally don't feel good on the bike then you will feel like shite.

Tried 29ers out here several times and they feel like riding a gate. The closest that felt okay was a Banshee Paradox. The rest where pretty much at least to me only good to use as a gravel grinder.

Tried to like but ugh.

Still feels the best. On a January 3 hour ride.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 26, 2017, 2:08 p.m.

Replacement for the stolen Stylus. NS Eccentric bought of a buddy for $200 as a singlespeed. Finally got the better fork.

Score

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 28, 2017, 7:49 a.m.

I've been looking at the NS surge for a while. Also the on one 456. The on one sizing I'm unsure about. I'm 5''9 on a 2011 specialized enduro. Medium. How does the eccentric fit you?

Jan. 28, 2017, 10:07 a.m.

I've been looking at the NS surge for a while. Also the on one 456. The on one sizing I'm unsure about. I'm 5''9 on a 2011 specialized enduro. Medium. How does the eccentric fit you?

My wife's bike is the Surge. And having ridden both they do feel different but that also will be be how they are set up.

The Eccentric eels good so far meaning feels similar to what riding the Stylus felt like. It is the 17" frame size and is close to the Stylus with slight differences of course. Honestly picked it up because the geometry was close to my Stylus that was stolen and the price was right. Keep in mind I personally prefer my fun hack hardtail in this size.

Though with it being winter haven't been able to really hit the trails yet so potentially some parts changes in the future. Keep in mind this is the 2015 version which takes both 26 and 650b wheels. And takes a max 150mm travel fork.

More info on the Eccentric here…http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/ns-eccentric-904720.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 28, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

Thx for that. I like the stylus but not in the cards right now. Most everything from my enduro will go right n the ns frame. Just need a change before I can get a brand new fully. Too many babies right now!
Will be running a fox float 36 dialled back a bit

Jan. 28, 2017, 12:20 p.m.

Still feels the best. On a January 3 hour ride.

I like that road warrior look. Those crank arms are worn down to bare aluminum. Impressive. :thumbsup:

Isn't it easier to build compliance into a carbon vs. aluminium rim?

I built up some "compliant" carbon hoops a few weeks back for my full sus. Pete's right, they'll still knock your fillings out :lol: Line accuracy and climbing efficiency however are stellar. But grip is harder to find, and it feels like you've lost 10mm of suspension.

I'm still in the first impression stage, but the contrast between materials is not subtle. Personally on a hardtail I'd only run aluminum.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Jan. 29, 2017, 11:03 a.m.

Thx for that. I like the stylus but not in the cards right now. Most everything from my enduro will go right n the ns frame. Just need a change before I can get a brand new fully. Too many babies right now!
Will be running a fox float 36 dialled back a bit

Forgot to mention. With the Eccentric will probably want either a flat bar or a handlebar with minimal rise. Will be getting a short stem with no rise and a flat bar for it next.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk