NSMB - 2017 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 4, 2017, 8:52 p.m.

Not much changed

11spd XT w/45t One up
140mm Yari
3.0 Nic/Ron

Will be switching to 2.8 Rekons and 150mm fork soon.

Shed head!

Jan. 5, 2017, 11:37 a.m.

likely the least sexy rootdown BA in the world. a cobbled together work horse build which leaved a lot to be desired. but it still rips. seen single track from all over the sea to sky, that mysterious "interior" B.C., a huge swath of the northern USA, and a quick bump to NZ. yet to see a down side to the long low slack short thing.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 5, 2017, 12:16 p.m.

^^^ what did it take (in parts) to go from the old surface to this? assuming you swapped parts over.

Jan. 5, 2017, 12:52 p.m.

^^^ what did it take (in parts) to go from the old surface to this? assuming you swapped parts over.

I needed a new rear hub. the chromag guys handed me a mystery un-branded hub which they had laying around. so far so good. I had procrastinated building up a new set of hoops for the surface so that all worked out in the end. I also needed a new head set and BB. also my XT 3X crank arms did not have the clearance on the chain stay to run the 104 30tooth ring due to the offset tabs needed to make that ring work, so I pulled the X1 crank arms off my process 111. standard 1x10 drive train. I need a new fork. this bike is ok with the 140mm fork off my surface but the front end and BB are a bit low. this bike is built for a 160mm fork. I am not sure I need that much travel but it would correct the geo. subtle things like a little too much weight on the bars when seated and the bb being so far below the hubs that its a bit slow to get the front wheel off the ground when descending. I am just comparing these traits to my 111 which has a very similar reach and over all number.

Jan. 5, 2017, 2:48 p.m.

Reincarnation of a different green bike… 2017 Kona Unit, 27.5+, Jones bar, custom frame bag from Porcelain Rocket, fenders… the most comfortable commuter ever.

flickr

Jan. 6, 2017, 3 a.m.

The dog is enjoying the snow as much as you probably do. Great! And great and inspiring reading about your Yosemite trip over on TheRadavist.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 6, 2017, 5:11 a.m.

I needed a new rear hub. the chromag guys handed me a mystery un-branded hub which they had laying around. so far so good. I had procrastinated building up a new set of hoops for the surface so that all worked out in the end. I also needed a new head set and BB. also my XT 3X crank arms did not have the clearance on the chain stay to run the 104 30tooth ring due to the offset tabs needed to make that ring work, so I pulled the X1 crank arms off my process 111. standard 1x10 drive train. I need a new fork. this bike is ok with the 140mm fork off my surface but the front end and BB are a bit low. this bike is built for a 160mm fork. I am not sure I need that much travel but it would correct the geo. subtle things like a little too much weight on the bars when seated and the bb being so far below the hubs that its a bit slow to get the front wheel off the ground when descending. I am just comparing these traits to my 111 which has a very similar reach and over all number.

thanks; i would be in the same boat with the cranks so that's lots of parts. i was looking for something different this year to easily swap and come back to the surface if i wanted, but maybe i'll look for some type of kona honzo that isn't boost

Jan. 6, 2017, 7:11 a.m.

I'm not so sure that's REALLY a dog…

Jan. 6, 2017, 8:48 a.m.

thanks; i would be in the same boat with the cranks so that's lots of parts. i was looking for something different this year to easily swap and come back to the surface if i wanted, but maybe i'll look for some type of kona honzo that isn't boost

yeah it got a little out of hand for an impulse purchase. but worth it in the end. it's a huge step above the surface for a trail ripper. with the honzo you'd likely only need a new head set. though i have not looked too closely at the new honzo. it is different enough from the surface to warrant giving it a look. the honzo does lack the finnish of a chromag but it has a lot going for it. i might even look at the big honzo with the idea of being able to run both a 29er and 650b+ wheels. if that's possible with that bike.

i am hoping to do something similar to what morgan has done to that unit with my surface. but with out the 650b+ wheels due to frame restrictions.

Jan. 6, 2017, 9:45 a.m.

Is anyone else having trouble with the photobucket links? I want to see some sweet bikes!

Ride, don't slide.

Jan. 6, 2017, 10:12 a.m.

with the honzo you'd likely only need a new head set. though i have not looked too closely at the new honzo. it is different enough from the surface to warrant giving it a look.

yeah, from what i can see, all 2017 honzos are boost, but the older ones are not. but then, i don't know if they've changed the geo as well, or if they differ between models, etc. lots to look into

Jan. 6, 2017, 10:59 a.m.

The dog is enjoying the snow as much as you probably do. Great! And great and inspiring reading about your Yosemite trip over on TheRadavist.

Honestly, he enjoys it even more than I do. He goes nuts whenever we go out in the snow. It's been a good winter for him!

Thanks re: the story… it was Yellowstone. We want to go to Yosemite though! National parks are so rad.

flickr

Jan. 6, 2017, 2:39 p.m.

Honestly, he enjoys it even more than I do. He goes nuts whenever we go out in the snow. It's been a good winter for him!mes

Thanks re: the story… it was Yellowstone. We want to go to Yosemite though! National parks are so rad.

Ahhh, sorry. Of course, well guess mixing up names comes from too much reading, the famous short intention span of the average and midfle aged internet user and the fact that I was once again totally blown away by TheRadavist. :lol:

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 6, 2017, 5:04 p.m.

Same bikes I had last year:

From one extreme:

To another:

Now if only my Pro 2 Evo freehub bearings would stop exploding.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 10, 2017, 8:18 a.m.

seen single track from all over the sea to sky, that mysterious "interior" B.C., a huge swath of the northern USA, and a quick bump to NZ. yet to see a down side to the long low slack short thing.

i've been wondering about this. i've had the opportunity to ride my v1 surface back to back with bikes with more progressive geometry, mine and others, and the short reach and conservative geo are noticeable. i recently moved out east, where the trails are flatter and tighter - while i imagine the new crop of long/low/slack chromags are well suited for local and sea-to-sky riding, i've wondered whether they're less versatile than the last generation, and whether they'd suffer on less aggressive terrain

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave