NSMB - 2017 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

March 22, 2017, 10:13 a.m.

http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/ makes clear or matte protective wrap kits for most bikes.

Last edited by: craw on March 22, 2017, 10:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 25, 2017, 9:50 p.m.

My fresh warranty frame Enduro.

I have a full Invisiframe gloss kit on the bike, .

Garth

Last edited by: goodwrench on March 25, 2017, 10:10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edit info
March 26, 2017, 6:06 p.m.

Curious what Specialized frame you had and why it needed to be warrantied? Possibly PM?

Nice enduro by the way.

March 26, 2017, 10:25 p.m.

Posted by: Bryan

Curious what Specialized frame you had and why it needed to be warrantied? Possibly PM?

Nice enduro by the way.

Long story, PM sent. The frame developed a crack on the downtube where the brace that holds the shock is welded. I should mention that Graham at Caps in Langley handled the warranty even though I didn't buy the bike there. I really got great service there from Graham and Jeremy. Specialized also was great and upgraded me from a Comp Alloy to and Expert Carbon. The place I bought it is no longer a Specialized dealer.

Last edited by: goodwrench on March 26, 2017, 10:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more info
March 27, 2017, 3:24 p.m.

Nice build! What size? Seems light  if that weight is with flat pedals. Cool to hear you had good warranty support on that crack.

March 27, 2017, 4:51 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Nice build! What size? Seems light  if that weight is with flat pedals. Cool to hear you had good warranty support on that crack.

Thanks. It's a medium, and yes that is with pedals. They are Straightline AMP pedals with Ti axles. 280 grams on my scale with all the pins. I researched most components to balance out weight/price/performance. I seriously though about NOBL rims, that would save about 300 grams all total. I could also save more grams by changing the seat and the cassette and freehub. I could easily go up a pound weight with a different set of tires. But I like this combo in the control casing, I have tried the Grid casing and didn't like it.

My full build is 2016 Enduro Expert frame, stock headset, 170mm Lyric, Monarch Debonair with a bike yoke, Chromag BZA bars and stem, I now have Sensus Lite grips, Sram GX 11 speed shifter and derailer, SunRace 11x46 cassette, Sram XX1 cranks with a 32 tooth ring, a wheels manufacturing thread together BB, Straightline AMP Ti pedals, Straightline headset spacers, Sram Guide RS brakes with 200mm rotors rotors, KS Lev 150mm internal seatpost with the Specilaized command post SLR lever, Ergon SME3 Saddle, DT Swiss EX 471 rims on 350 hubs, Specialized Butcher and Purgetory tubeless in the control casing, Jagwire cable and housings.

March 28, 2017, 5:44 a.m.

First new bike in ~14 years. Wifey ain't too pleased at the moment, but for the price I got it for, I just couldn't pass it up. Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can finally take it for a spin.

2016 Intense Tracer 275C Expert ... pretty much stock, except for the bar, saddle, pedals (all Chromag bits), and mud guard.

Last edited by: rasheed on March 28, 2017, 5:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2017, 8:22 a.m.

Finally finished my Knolly build. 2017 Endorphin.

Still

need to trim the brake lines and get some bar end caps (or trim the stock RF ones to fit).

edit: better picture attached.

Last edited by: rnayel on April 10, 2017, 2:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2017, 8:58 a.m.

I was lovin' the Rootdown, but missing the FS vibe and wanted to try something with a bit more travel than the Tallboy I had before. Picked this up cheap from a friend, a 2014 Stumpy niner frame and swapped my stuff over. 34, XTR and XT stuff, 10-speed, Minions yadda yadda...I'm mostly excited to have a SRAM-free mountain bike! REALLY happy to have the Reverb gone. I haven't been able to ride for the last few weeks cause I rode for an hour with a failing Reverb (SAD!) and it jacked my back up...

Not crabon, or even very new but seems to ride well, full suspension bikes corner funny to what I'm used to and damn it's mushy, but I only have one ride on it so far and seem to remember feeling that way whenever I've been off full suspension for a while.

Last edited by: tashi on April 7, 2017, 9:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Why is it so goddam hard to post photos from Flickr now?
May 1, 2017, 10:43 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

So, how'd that shock improve the ride?

Finally did a shuttle day with the bike, and I was amazed at the traction with the Vivid over the Monarch (stock on the Spartan), it was very impressive. A contributing factor may have been that the Vivid was tuned for the bike by Aziz at Dunbar (who sold me the shock), while the Monarch was factory stock from Devinci.

I set the sag at 30% and it was great, no pedal strikes, no bb strikes, used full travel on the shock, it pedaled well when needed and soaked up hits as well.  When riding Rode upper and lower Dales, it was great in the chunky descend on lower, at speed, I'm very impressed. Also provided tons of traction with the punchy climbs back to the Old Buck parking lot.

Last edited by: rnayel on May 1, 2017, 10:46 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 3, 2017, 6:19 a.m.

New Cannondale Jekyll.... time to get it dirty...

May 6, 2017, 9:56 a.m.

Norco Sight C7. 2

As this is my first plastic bike I decided to try some more plastic goodies and see how it works. I am very happy with the out come. It weighs in at 27lbs!!!!

I have taken with bike on everything from XC epic to Enduro races and park days it is has never let me down. I do not shy away from drops with this bike and I am very impressed with how tough it is for have only 150f and 140r.

Last edited by: heathen on May 7, 2017, 11:04 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
May 28, 2017, 5:42 p.m.

Posted by: dutch

Next SL cranks should be SixC for the Shore. Next cranks intended usage should only be for XC or Trail, of course not DH , but even All Mtn. or Enduro is gonna be too much for these super light cranks. Unfortunately I learned the hard way (twice). The stress from All Mtn or Enduro is too much for the Next SL.
SixC are on the way for moi.

By no means am I unhappy with Race Face Quality, but I do feel that the Next SL have been mis-marketed in the way that all of us believe they will handle the wear and tear of N.Shore riding….they won't , go with the SixC or the Alu Turbine to be safe.

Sooo… eating my words here.. mine are starting to go. lots of play at the pedal on the non drive side.

Just broke another set, this time the g4 version. Stole the turbines off my wife's bike and gave her my (other) warranteed next sl's. Six c's on the way.

Last edited by: dutch on May 28, 2017, 5:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 5, 2017, 6:16 a.m.

My new to me sled/park bike, 7" front and rear and cheap. With all the part swapping I did after picking it up stock, its actually not as much of a pig as I expected. It's even be climbable for me on my local trails. And it has a bottle mount which was the deciding factor for me

June 6, 2017, 7:13 a.m.

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt MSL, frame-up build, pig. 

Rocky Mountain