NSMB - 2017 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Feb. 2, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

i'd totally entertain a single shifter 2x system with a (relatively) small (and affordable) cassette. granted, fd compatible bikes steadily are becoming fewer.

Feb. 2, 2017, 10:39 a.m.

I don't think I'll go back to 2x. With 1x it makes designing and building my garage jalopies much simpler. With a 1x drivetrain you can get a good anti-squat without needing extra linkage around the main pivot.

Feb. 2, 2017, 10:53 a.m.

on second thought, you're probably right. i like bikes to be as minimalistic as possible; 1x gets the job done with minimal fuss, and the aftermarket makes wide range gearing affordable (i really like eagle, but not going to buck up at the current price point).

speaking of garage jalopies, what's the status of your latest build? something like the starling 29'er perhaps?

Feb. 2, 2017, 11:51 a.m.

yeah no interest in 2x10 again , maybe if I was a commuter or xc racer , but for what I shred 1x10/11 is more than enough .

and sweet Banshee , looking forward to the completed build .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 2, 2017, 1:37 p.m.

Enough of the nipple slips. With the teasers comes high expectations of uber pimpness and bike envy. Don't let us down ;-)

I aim to dissapoint! Too many recycled parts, NO CARBON.

But it's a pretty colour.

Feb. 2, 2017, 2:43 p.m.

speaking of garage jalopies, what's the status of your latest build? something like the starling 29'er perhaps?

Just ordered some tubes for this today.

The geo on this isn't final, but it's allowed me to work out the kinematics on the linkage.

Lots of stuff to work out in cad for the linkage and the shock mount/pivot/bb/downtube junction.

Feb. 2, 2017, 3 p.m.

very cool. how are you fabbing the linkage bits?

Feb. 2, 2017, 3:22 p.m.

very cool. how are you fabbing the linkage bits?

TBD.

Could be hacksaw and a file, or get a friend (Biggles604) to machine them.

Feb. 2, 2017, 3:56 p.m.

I'd have strongly considered Di2 for my Surface had I not went to X01 a season or two prior.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 2, 2017, 4:05 p.m.

455mm reach huh? How tall are u?

Feb. 2, 2017, 4:11 p.m.

The geo on this isn't final, but it's allowed me to work out the kinematics on the linkage.

Lots of stuff to work out in cad for the linkage and the shock mount/pivot/bb/downtube junction.

nice looking design , what travel roughly ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 2, 2017, 4:48 p.m.

Not enough rides yet to comment on suspension. And I'm not a suspension geek. If it goes down and doesn't bob around, it works for me.

No need to be a geek. There is a lot of easily understood information available to help people make a wiser choice, dropping coin on a bike regarding suspension. There are even videos that show you how to make it not bob around. This guy has some very good, easily understood vids.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAicBI2QJNNrE2j_RkbzjYQ

This person has analyzed a lot of bikes. Scrolling on the right, choose your brand.
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=es[HTML_REMOVED]to=en[HTML_REMOVED]a=http%3A%2F%2Flinkagedesign.blogspot.ca%2F2016%2F04%2Fdevinci-troy-275-2016.html

Very nice reign you have, I almost bought a new one 6 months ago but came to the conclusion an enduro bike just wasn't for me.

That's taking suspension geek to the next level, very cool. Linkage driven single pivot? Looks like just over 100 percent antisquat, looking at the pivot location. Just moving the frame shock mount location a few milometers makes a difference in progression rate does it not? Almost makes me want to go buy a welder.

Chainsmoker 8)

Feb. 2, 2017, 5 p.m.

455mm reach huh? How tall are u?

About 6ft, a hair under if I've not shrunk since the last time I measured myself a decade ago.

Feb. 2, 2017, 5:03 p.m.

nice looking design , what travel roughly ?

Will be 136mm travel frame paired with a 150mm fork.

Still a possibility that I move that up to 140ish.

As with the way Kona designed their Process line I am not designing to a specific travel but to a LR that I want to hit within a travel window. In this case I'd be happy with anywhere from 130 to 145mm of travel so long as I get the lr I want with the shock size I've picked.

It's currently designed around a 210mm x 55mm metric sized shock.

Feb. 2, 2017, 5:13 p.m.

That's taking suspension geek to the next level, very cool. Linkage driven single pivot? Looks like just over 100 percent antisquat, looking at the pivot location. Just moving the frame shock mount location a few milometers makes a difference in progression rate does it not? Almost makes me want to go buy a welder.

Yes just over 100% as with a 32t chianring and 42t rear cog.

Correct a few mm on each pivot can really change things.

Here you can see that I am bench marking against the new Transition Patrol Carbon, one of the first bikes to be designed around the metric RS shocks. My earlier iteration had the shock sitting lower in the frame and I was playing with going trunion mount. Decided to ditch the trunion mount and move the shock up higher so it involved less fab work at the bb/dt junction and I get a slightly different LR curve with lower initial progressive spike. I think this final one is what I am going to move forward with.