NSMB - 2017 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 26, 2017, 6:30 p.m.

So it's a girls bike?

With its high anti squat and progression rate this bike favors more aggressive riders, so your answer is yes, it is a girls bike.

Mmmhhm. That Troy is a nice bike!

It sports a 200x51mm shock, as far as I can tell.

Would one be able to mount a 200x57mm and NOT have some catastrophic failure under full compression?

Cheers
Znarf

From what I've read the seat stay brace contacts the seat tube. The only occasion I would want more travel with this bike is in a park. That's just personal preference.
I have a 200 x 57 I could try….

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 26, 2017, 8:25 p.m.

So a 32x46 is 18.8 and I struggle w/a 26x42 wonder how close to the 18.0 of the 28x42 the 30x46 is or I could even get away with 28x46 and not induce much pedal feedback w/a split pivot I reckon got a link to that chart?

Here is the chart I have been looking at
http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com/#26I1I1
If your concerned about pedal kickback, its personal taste. I've tried a few different suspension designs and like a higher antisquat (for all mountain) myself. A larger chainring will reduce it to a small degree if you are going up or down 2 teeth. If you don't like a little feedback you may need a different platform (bike) with lower anti squat, 2 teeth isn't going to make a lot of difference.

If the troy is the sp bike you are interested in, I am surprised after 6 or so hard rides I've had so far with mine, chunder, flat landings, to tough tech climb's, I notice virtually no feedback. All the suspension design charts are great info, but the difference in quality of the different suspensions is small. IE: lots of really good bikes right now.

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 27, 2017, 6:17 a.m.

So a 32x46 is 18.8 and I struggle w/a 26x42 wonder how close to the 18.0 of the 28x42 the 30x46 is or I could even get away with 28x46 and not induce much pedal feedback w/a split pivot I reckon got a link to that chart?

The link to the gear calculator: http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/gear-calculator

It is useful when deciding how big or small you want to go and shows how much wheel size affects things as well. People running 26" wheels have it a fair bit easier than 27.5 and 29ers have it the worse for climbing gears.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 27, 2017, 6:26 a.m.

I live with the extra weight and have a more durable cassette , my light weight cassettes all have broken teeth from rocks bouncing of it , plus I prefer the ability to take the cassette apart to clean or repair a damaged tooth .

I've been riding consistently since 2002 and never once have I damaged a cassette let alone needed to repair teeth.

I am a little perplexed. You must have really bad luck.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 27, 2017, 6:41 a.m.

Here is chart with all the popular combos people have nowadays.

It shows why the 10-50t is the crusher

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 27, 2017, 7:41 a.m.

I loved the days when 32-36 was my "bailout" gearing on the 29er :lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 27, 2017, 8:57 a.m.

I've been riding consistently since 2002 and never once have I damaged a cassette let alone needed to repair teeth.

I have a $400.00 Sram cog set that is beer can lite and is missing 4 teeth , and is non repairable due to the design . Sucking a chain and or wrapping up a derailleur can destroy them as well . Same with picking up sticks and such . I also don,t throw away good money on the mega $$ derailleurs and more either , I have a $350.00 one of those in the scrap pile as well .

So after $750 worth of drive train parts in a few months it,s more economical to run more durable parts .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 27, 2017, 11:32 a.m.

Changing chains regularly is a revelation. I used to go through cassettes at an expensive rate. Have changed nary a one in at least a couple of years now. And shifting is better

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Jan. 27, 2017, 12:04 p.m.

Uh-oh…

My Custom Gear Chart
42 16.7

My Custom Gear Chart
46 16.4

Well, that's f all. :|
I'm thinking I should get a h/t so the size of my tiny c/r don't make a difference. :o

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 27, 2017, 4:36 p.m.

Someone should start a thread for gear ratios and leave this one for posting up sweet bikes

Jan. 27, 2017, 7:53 p.m.

If your concerned about pedal kickback, ….. 2 teeth isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Agreed, 3 of 4 Troy builds come w/30T rings so dropping to 28 shouldn't be that far off their design parameters.

All the suspension design charts are great info, but the difference in quality of the different suspensions is small.

Yeah, even by the #'s it ain't much different from the Scout.

With its high anti squat and progression rate this bike favors more aggressive riders

That was the conclusion those people who do the Bible of Bike Tests came to, and concerns me a bit as I tend to doodle more than throw-down when I ride. So how, I wonder, do you

run a setup that provides a slightly more forgiving top-end to the travel

on that platform? Remove a volume spacer?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 27, 2017, 8:47 p.m.

Agreed, 3 of 4 Troy builds come w/30T rings so dropping to 28 shouldn't be that far off their design parameters.

I asked Devinci and they said 28 will not feel much different than a 30 (for what that's worth)

Yeah, even by the #'s it ain't much different from the Scout.

Scout has a different design and much lower antisquat.
If you are referring to the geometry, you should be looking at that before you pick a suspension design. That's a whole other subject.

That was the conclusion those people who do the Bible of Bike Tests came to, and concerns me a bit as I tend to doodle more than throw-down when I ride. So how, I wonder, do you on that platform?

What they are referring to is the progression rate, which is how difficult it is to use all the travel due to the design and the shock. That is totally different than antisquat and pedal feedback. Most of the reviews I read were spot on to my experience. If you are riding the shore even at slower speeds you should be ok. Run the shock with no volume reducers so it doesn't ramp up as much and you can use all the travel, and if you want an even more linear feel put a coil on.

Also if you are running clipless it obviously helps in keeping you feet from getting bounced off the pedals.

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 28, 2017, 8:01 p.m.

If you are referring to the geometry, you should be looking at that before you pick a suspension design.Scout has a different design and much lower antisquat.

I'm not referring to the geo., but the values for pedal kickback that andrextr computed for the Troy and Patrol (same FSR as Scout), they aren't that far apart.

What they are referring to is the progression rate, which is how difficult it is to use all the travel due to the design and the shock. That is totally different than antisquat and pedal feedback.

Yes I know.

If you are riding the shore even at slower speeds you should be ok. Run the shock with no volume reducers so it doesn't ramp up as much and you can use all the travel, and if you want an even more linear feel put a coil on.

Thanks, I was looking for confirmation of what the PinkBike reviewer was getting at.

Also if you are running clipless it obviously helps in keeping you feet from getting bounced off the pedals.

Always. And thanks for fleshing this all out.

Sorry thread drift folks, I'm done.

Jan. 30, 2017, 9:06 a.m.

A few Made in Canada parts. So much better than stock.

Race Face SixC cranks

North Shore Billet 28t chainring

Blackspire Crusher half taco bash guard

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 30, 2017, 9:48 a.m.

Before 11spd I never used to wreck cassettes. They'd wear out in a reasonable amount of time and then I'd spend a reasonable amount of money to replace them. I wore out two 11spd cassettes last year and they both looked like they had been through a war.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.