NSMB - 2017 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 19, 2017, 9:39 a.m.

Down to one bike - new wheels last fall with the DD casing rubber, fork just bumped to 180 and just waiting (foreverrrrrrr) for a ti spring. After coming off the Endorphin / Podium I'm not missing anything being on one bike when it's this fun to ride!

Jan. 19, 2017, 12:40 p.m.

^^ Boom. Ultimate free-ride bike. Free ride is back baby…. now 10lbs lighter.

Jan. 19, 2017, 7:50 p.m.

Next SL cranks should be SixC for the Shore. Next cranks intended usage should only be for XC or Trail, of course not DH , but even All Mtn. or Enduro is gonna be too much for these super light cranks. Unfortunately I learned the hard way (twice). The stress from All Mtn or Enduro is too much for the Next SL.
SixC are on the way for moi.

By no means am I unhappy with Race Face Quality, but I do feel that the Next SL have been mis-marketed in the way that all of us believe they will handle the wear and tear of N.Shore riding….they won't , go with the SixC or the Alu Turbine to be safe.

+1 on the Next SLs. I've been through 2 sets as well, 1 a year. First one the pedal insert came loose(that arm replaced), and second new pair I didn't see but my shop told me something about the insides or inserts cracking (both arms replaced). SixCs are the proper 'Enduro' cranks. I'm 190 lbs, about 150,000m of vert a season so I really shouldn't complain.

Jan. 20, 2017, 6:21 a.m.

I've wrecked a set of SixCs as has a team rider of ours… nothing is perfect.

Jan. 20, 2017, 2:13 p.m.

My ride for the next little while. Stock Warden Carbon with the Supreme Leader Eagle build. Cane Creek Coil - IL rear shock has been so plush since I got on one last summer. It will get a 2.5 DHF WT tire soon. 29.5 LBS

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Jan. 20, 2017, 3:58 p.m.

:drool:^^^^Super nice bike!

Jan. 20, 2017, 8:04 p.m.

I've wrecked a set of SixCs as has a team rider of ours… nothing is perfect.

3 sets of wrecked Next Sl's in my posse. 2 x pedal insert pulled loose, 1 x broken spider. I still have a set but use them on my commuter now.

Jan. 20, 2017, 8:05 p.m.

:drool:^^^^Super nice bike!

This! The only bike that I would consider replacing my Alloy Warden with.

Jan. 20, 2017, 8:14 p.m.

3 sets of wrecked Next Sl's in my posse. 2 x pedal insert pulled loose, 1 x broken spider. I still have a set but use them on my commuter now.

I just couldn't be bothered. At 220lbs I can handle aluminum cranks weighing 100-odd grams more, costing a ton less and feeling free to smash them into stuff.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 20, 2017, 9:35 p.m.

I get that everybody's concerns with Race Face reliability on the Next SL cranks but aren't the Next SL cranks one of the lightest carbon cranks on the market? That's a hefty claim for anything that I would consider on my bike when riding oh the shore.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Jan. 21, 2017, 10:07 a.m.

I just couldn't be bothered. At 220lbs I can handle aluminum cranks weighing 100-odd grams more, costing a ton less and feeling free to smash them into stuff.

Been using various XTR cranks for years on numerous bikes with no hint of an issue. Light enough, can be had pretty cheaply, and massively durable under me.

Only bad part is the goofy chainring bolt patterns that Shimano loves but it is easy enough to get aftermarket rings these days.

Jan. 21, 2017, 3:12 p.m.

Been using various XTR cranks for years on numerous bikes with no hint of an issue. Light enough, can be had pretty cheaply, and massively durable under me.

Only bad part is the goofy chainring bolt patterns that Shimano loves but it is easy enough to get aftermarket rings these days.

Oh wait. I'm on XTRs too! I switched off Turbines (which were great) to try XTRs in 180. TBH I can barely tell the difference, it's very subtle. But yeah, light, stiff, and I'm not concerned about them in the least. I doubt I'll ever do carbon cranks.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 21, 2017, 4:54 p.m.

I'm on the other side: I really like my carbon cranks. My Six cranks have been trouble-free and my Next SLs, although just on my XC bike, also have been without issue.

Everything breaks one way or another so these instances are not indicative of all the carbon cranks out there. RF has a solid warranty program and on this alone I would recommend carbon RF cranks without hesitation.

Jan. 21, 2017, 8:02 p.m.

Third season on SixC. No issues.

Shed head!

Jan. 21, 2017, 8:02 p.m.

I have gone back to xtr and XT cranks and sure don't notice the small weight penalty. Plenty stiff and it's nice knowing that they will never blow up. Have run turbines in the past with no issues either.