NSMB - 2017 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 9, 2017, 10:03 a.m.

Just to counterbalance all the carbon, here is my Reign. Not a single carbon part. Weighs exactly 13.5 kg (29.8 lbs) in her Magic Mary / Nobby Nic summer dress.
Simple Monarch inline shock works well for me, there are advantages to being slow :-)

Jan. 9, 2017, 10:29 a.m.

Interesting. Would you consider yourself hard on bike parts or easy on them? I see so many bikes running the SL's yet don't hear of much negative feeback.

I know for myself I have managed to run some pretty light parts and have had zero issues. RF Next SL's would be my go to first choice for cranks but now you have me rethinking my choice.

on a side note, wow is there some wickedly nice builds in this thread.

Best to discuss further with your LBS and decide from there. Either way there is a set of Race Face cranks that will be "bling" for
Your suited riding

Jan. 9, 2017, 10:53 a.m.

170MM NEXT SL,s on my bike now issues what so ever .

Almost 2 years on my SL's. Riding all the same stuff I used to on my 'big bike', just less park.

Zero issues for this semi fat ass.

Jan. 9, 2017, 12:19 p.m.

So pretty much everyone rides a super nice carbon bike w carbon wheels and next sl ctanks?

Well….not quite :D

Hell, it doesn't even have a rear disc brake!
It does have two carbon headset spacers which help keep the weight to around 35lb.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:22 p.m.

So pretty much everyone rides a super nice carbon bike w carbon wheels and next sl ctanks? Its like you guys are more interested in your bikes than in actualriding

One thing I've noticed about myself as I get older and older is that I have less free time but more disposable income, so my riding vs. buy new bike parts ratio is becoming increasingly skewed to riding less and spending more. My current bike is pretty low budget (compared to the bikes on this thread) but I find now I am constantly obsessing over upgrading my bike to offset my lack of riding. Ideally it would be the other way around!

Jan. 9, 2017, 10:20 p.m.

upvote for hammerschmidt!

I was riding 1x11 all spring/summer and this bike was parked while it got fatter. After a few rides back on it, I think there's definitely a place for Hammerschmidt. When I engage overdrive and hear the whine of the gears, it makes me feel kind of like a big block with gear drive. Ohhhhh yeah, it's HAMMERTIME!

Riding in the snow, I find myself leaving the rear derailleur alone a lot and just banging it in and out of overdrive.

Couple other pluses:

With the 6-speed cassette, the chain stays super straight and seems to last forever. I think I replaced the chain once in 5 years and then did a full cassette/chain/front ring replacement a year ago because the aluminum spiders on the CS-M960 30/34 cluster fatigued and broke! The M970 has 6 arms instead of 5 and should not suffer that problem.

I've also got a ton of chain-[HTML_REMOVED]tire clearance

One possible risk that I haven't actually experienced is snow melting and refreezing in the mechanism. Should that happen, you'd just be stuck in 1:1-not the end of the world.

Jan. 9, 2017, 10:36 p.m.

Just to counterbalance all the carbon, here is my Reign. Not a single carbon part. Weighs exactly 13.5 kg (29.8 lbs) in her Magic Mary / Nobby Nic summer dress.
Simple Monarch inline shock works well for me, there are advantages to being slow :-)

some great rigs in here. how did you get that alloy reign so light? even has burly wheels. it's hard to tell but nothing looks like super light components. nice looking bike.

i never had the hammershizzle experience, i wish i had. everything about it sounded great other than the friction and weight i guess. that video with the designer was classic.

Jan. 10, 2017, 6:31 a.m.

how did you get that alloy reign so light? even has burly wheels. it's hard to tell but nothing looks like super light components. nice looking bike.

Thanks. The frame is pretty light, ~3400 g including shock, headset cups, bb, and rear axle. The inline shock is also pretty light of course. Hubs are DT 240s. Otherwise nothing lightweight. Going strong for two seasons now, including occasional park riding.

Jan. 10, 2017, 9:32 a.m.

Well….not quite :D

Hell, it doesn't even have a rear disc brake!
It does have two carbon headset spacers which help keep the weight to around 35lb.

best bike in the thread so far. i'm surprised you found a non-cracked example.

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

best bike in the thread so far. i'm surprised you found a non-cracked example.

Ha thanks. Yeah it all seems good. I think the main pivot axle might be there for life but I'll cross that bridge if the bearings fail before the head tube falls off… It's a surprisingly fun and competent bike still. Just need to find a way of adding 2" to the top tube.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 12, 2017, 9:19 a.m.

not my bike, mine is buried in snow gear.

Stumpy evo 29. Add a 35mm stem, carbon hoops, next sl cranks, a front derailleur, a 160 pike, and tons of caked on mud and youve got mine basically. I hope to keep this mostly as is for a few years. I have some clippy pedals that will go on soon.

I rode this bike up at sun peaks in sept - granted, on pretty easy trails - and it was much better than I expected for 135mm rear travel. No problem pounding out runs all day.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 12, 2017, 9:21 a.m.

Ah crap, sorry, can I resize?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 12, 2017, 2:31 p.m.

I rode this bike up at sun peaks in sept - granted, on pretty easy trails - and it was much better than I expected for 135mm rear travel. No problem pounding out runs all day.

Don't forget those XC trails.

Jan. 13, 2017, 4:34 p.m.

26's, no dropper, no front derailer, ALL FUN!! Did have this as my 'one and only' for a season and a half. More than capable of handling pretty much everything.

…ive only been on this site for 12+ years, I guess I should learn how to properly post pics.. lol

Jan. 13, 2017, 9:06 p.m.

…ive only been on this site for 12+ years, I guess I should learn how to properly post pics.. lol

I gotchu fam

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden