NSMB - 2016 - Hardtail Thread

Oct. 20, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

I haven't really looked into it that much, but how is the Surface different from the Primer (besides the Dekerf vs. Truelove welding?)

primer

surface

The builder matters too; Truelove vs. DeKerf.

only in terms of the beauty of the welds, afaict

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 20, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

wow, when did Chromags get so long? they used to make short bikes even in the big sizes. these bikes are now huge and super LLS.

Oct. 20, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

I don't know how I feel about the lengthening top tube epidemic going on. I used to have a bike that was, in hindsight, a bit big for me so later when I got a chromag I went with a top tube that was 1/2" shorter and by god it feels much better. Same 50mm stem on both bikes. I know there's more to bikes than top tube length and the two bikes I speak of vary in wheel size, hta, sta bb drop so maybe it's too apples and oranges. All I know is I am enjoying my 23.75" top tube.

I see the Nice Dreams shares the same geo specs as my rootdown. Interesting.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 20, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

often the TTT has stayed the same or close to, but the reach has grown substantially. on many bikes 25mm or more, with steepening of the STA it keeps the TTT the same. personally, i've loved this change but i'll admit (and i'm 6'5") some bikes just start to feel massively long and not necessarily in a great way. i've just installed a works components offset headset to make a bike steeper (and as a result, 10mm shorter) in order to make the bike handle better on 'regular' trails at less than warp speed.

Oct. 20, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

conversely, i've yet to ride a bike that's too long (or slack), even for tight stuff. love the ability to ride centered and aggressively push the front. would like to try a stretched btr or geometron to see what the realm of the REALLY long is all about.

Oct. 20, 2016, 3 p.m.

I tried a Rootdown BA recently. I was curious to see if that insanely short CS would translate into weirdness at full leg extension with a 36" inseam. I figured I'd end up too far back. It turns out to be fine. Between the lack of sag when climbing and the extended front center it all sort of works out. Gary Fisher would be proud of us.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 20, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

lol…..

Perhaps you can educate me on the subtleties between these two frame builders? Mine is a Chris Dekerf build… the welds are impeccable as they should be…

Oct. 23, 2016, 3 p.m.

often the TTT has stayed the same or close to, but the reach has grown substantially. on many bikes 25mm or more, with steepening of the STA it keeps the TTT the same. personally, i've loved this change but i'll admit (and i'm 6'5") some bikes just start to feel massively long and not necessarily in a great way. i've just installed a works components offset headset to make a bike steeper (and as a result, 10mm shorter) in order to make the bike handle better on 'regular' trails at less than warp speed.

I was wondering when this was going to start happening haha

They've got the guns but we've got the numbers! Gonna win ya we're takin over.

Oct. 23, 2016, 4:53 p.m.

You mean you shortened the WB by 10mm? Steepening the HTA on a bike of mine would be the last thing I'd want to do.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:04 a.m.

What's yer winter season tire of choice on your steel hardtail 29er?

I am thinking of going with Minion DHF front and Minion DHR2 rear. 29x2.3. On rims with a somewhat oldschool skinnyish 21mm internal rim width.

A bit worried about slow rolling reports on the DHR2 but ah, you got to like traction yeah?

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 25, 2016, 10:10 a.m.

In what sense?

Ego.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 25, 2016, 4:15 p.m.

Went to pick up some parts I bought off a guy a week ago and it came with a 2006 Norco Torrent. The model that came with the 12x150 rear end.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 25, 2016, 4:30 p.m.

Nearly 3 years later, my Kona Taro is still going strong. I didn't pay a lot for the bike, but it was pretty much ready to be ridden hard off the floor. Some parts have been replaced over time, but really the only change that has made a significant difference is the wheels.

Here's how it started in January 2014:

And here it is in October 2016:

Oct. 25, 2016, 4:58 p.m.

What's yer winter season tire of choice on your steel hardtail 29er?

I am thinking of going with Minion DHF front and Minion DHR2 rear. 29x2.3. On rims with a somewhat oldschool skinnyish 21mm internal rim width.

A bit worried about slow rolling reports on the DHR2 but ah, you got to like traction yeah?

I'll run either DHRII 3C TR 2.3 F/R or DHRII up Magic Mary up front. Or something totally different.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 26, 2016, 12:05 p.m.

I'll run either DHRII 3C TR 2.3 F/R or DHRII up Magic Mary up front. Or something totally different.

Cool. What do you like about the DHRII better than the DHF? I'm a tough guy to move away from DHF (or Spec Butcher) front tire but you've got my eye-brows raised and my head tilted.

Wrong. Always.