NSMB - 2016 - Hardtail Thread

Sept. 1, 2016, 2:39 p.m.

Huh, plus tires on the Rootdown means it'd probably work on my Surface. Need to find a wheelset around here to see how the clearances work out.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Sept. 1, 2016, 3:40 p.m.

Thanks. Good to know. Half tempted to try it myself but for my riding the 29x2.3 is working well. I imagine your bottom bracket is a smidge lower with the 27.5x2.8. :idea:

Measures at just under 12.5" unsagged with the 27.5*2.8 and 120mm fork. The 160mm Pike from my fully was place holding for a bit and the bike was way too tall for what I want this bike to be.

I have 2.3 Hans Dampfs on the other wheels which work well but look like old 1.9" xc tires in comparison. I find the 2.8 just offer a bit more cush esp on the hardtail and I don't ride hard or fast enough for their negatives to show through.

I was close to dropping the extra cheese on the Surface, but then that would definitively have to for sure be my forever bike, and I'm not sure I'm ready to commit like that.

Sept. 18, 2016, 10:41 p.m.

this bike is nothing new, but it is now my full-time ride as i can't/won't maintain two mountain bikes right now. lotsa fun on normal north shore trails. a few years ago though these threads were full-on new surfaces and rootdowns. not too many popping up lately. what's the consensus on the new school bikes like the newer rootdown, primer, etc? i'm not missing whacking the pedals on everything as with my put-away-back-home FS, so i'm liking my Surface right now. but curious on how these new ones ride.

Sept. 19, 2016, 10 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the BA and Primer going boost or press fit bb. I like the shorter rear end and longer front, ive upsized mine to get the longer more contemporary front center, but feel that they could have done that without going boost by leaving out front derailleur compatibility.

Sept. 29, 2016, 9:32 a.m.

"I like the 2017 Kona Unit with 27.5+ wheels, rigid fork, singlespeed and three water bottle holders. Put a IGH and backpacking bags on that sucker? You got a stew going."
Carl Weathers

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 30, 2016, 10:28 p.m.

Rather different school, but i'm working on getting my Peyto Wild Bill back in service.
If we're talking oldschool, I just found a ProTaper hanging around the house!
Gonna put some Industry Nines and Spank rims on it, I run the risk of saving the weight of the whole front rim I used to have, an Arrow FRX. It's a real pain trying to collect all the right parts, but i think she's going to be pretty nice to ride again.

Semi-related, if you had a well-loved custom steel mountainbike frame that was built just for you and it needed refinishing, what would you do?

They've got the guns but we've got the numbers! Gonna win ya we're takin over.

Oct. 1, 2016, 8:26 a.m.

Semi-related, if you had a well-loved custom steel mountainbike frame that was built just for you and it needed refinishing, what would you do?

If you have the dough, take it to toxic Harald and have the thing repainted

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Oct. 1, 2016, 8:06 p.m.

Oh interesting, Peyto is still in the dropdown links on the Toxik site. Paul stopped building frames ages ago now. Almost makes me tempted to ship it back across the country.

They've got the guns but we've got the numbers! Gonna win ya we're takin over.

Oct. 4, 2016, 9:05 a.m.

Rejoining the club, finished building this bad boy last night.

Oct. 4, 2016, 3:21 p.m.

Nice, love that blue! Is that the mk1 on pb from the interior? Had my eye on that for a while, but ultimately opted for a size bigger mk2 with 142 rear end

Oct. 4, 2016, 3:31 p.m.

Nice looking rootdown. You ride it with the seat like that?

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 4, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

Nice, love that blue! Is that the mk1 on pb from the interior? Had my eye on that for a while, but ultimately opted for a size bigger mk2 with 142 rear end

Nope, bought it NOS from Russ Hayes bike shop on the island. Likely going to sell it though, some other cool opportunities have come up.

Buster: I do not ride it with the saddle like that. I usually level my saddles on everything but my DH bike.

Oct. 13, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

The 2012 Chameleon turned in another good year in 2016: the 2008 Deemaxes saw their last summer (I bought them used and have put well over 1000 mles on them, can't complain), I need a real wrap on the chainstay and I need to repack the eccentric BB again but damn we had a good time this year!

Oct. 16, 2016, 8:36 a.m.

Huh, plus tires on the Rootdown means it'd probably work on my Surface. Need to find a wheelset around here to see how the clearances work out.

that's likely not going to work. the rootdown ba, and more relevantly version 2.0 if not similar to the surface in any way.

the new surface coming out can fit plus sized tires but the older ones had very little tire clearance. 2.4 ardents were about the biggest I could fit in mine. so I would be suprized if you could fit a 650b 2.8 in there on 50mm rims. maybe…

I have put a boat load of time on the first generation rootdown ba and I am sold on the concept. I wanted a longer bike, something that fit like my process 111. so I picked up a frame and stripped down my surface to build it up. I am running a 140mm fork on it. it's a very stable and confendent inspiring ride. maybe I will put a 160 fork on it in the future, which is what it was designed for. I am thinking more of turning my surface into a gravel grinder back road camping bike.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Oct. 16, 2016, 7:48 p.m.

that's likely not going to work. the rootdown ba, and more relevantly version 2.0 if not similar to the surface in any way.

the new surface coming out can fit plus sized tires but the older ones had very little tire clearance. 2.4 ardents were about the biggest I could fit in mine. so I would be suprized if you could fit a 650b 2.8 in there on 50mm rims. maybe…

I have put a boat load of time on the first generation rootdown ba and I am sold on the concept. I wanted a longer bike, something that fit like my process 111. so I picked up a frame and stripped down my surface to build it up. I am running a 140mm fork on it. it's a very stable and confendent inspiring ride. maybe I will put a 160 fork on it in the future, which is what it was designed for. I am thinking more of turning my surface into a gravel grinder back road camping bike.

As much as I even want to try there isn't much point. No trails to speak of where I live, so I spend most of my time on my Nice Dreams instead. The Surface was a lot of fun on Vancouver Island but it's just not useful for Northern Alberta, especially with the sandy/boggy soil in the summer and snow/ice all winter. Plus tires might help with that but I'll take your word for it that they probably wouldn't work.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.