NSMB - 2016 - Hardtail Thread

July 1, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

Not sure what I think of this new trend. Supper slack, low and long front end is good for going down but (I'm speculating here as I never tried one) not so pleasant on the way up. And that's kind of missing the point of a hardtail imo.

and what exactly is the point of a hardtail?

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

July 1, 2016, 5:45 p.m.

Not sure what I think of this new trend. Supper slack, low and long front end is good for going down but (I'm speculating here as I never tried one) not so pleasant on the way up. And that's kind of missing the point of a hardtail imo.

It generally sucks for technical climbing but is better for descending.

July 1, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

To me a hardtail is a simple mountainbike that you just grab and go for a ride. Simple times, easy, the bike you grab when you don't know what trail you want to ride. That's just me tho.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 1, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

It generally sucks for technical climbing but is better for descending.

If I want a bike that's better for descending I grab a fs.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 1, 2016, 7:08 p.m.

When I was trying to the figure out the geometry of the frame that I commissioned (which I guess predates the current long / slack trend a bit) I couldn't decide on chainstay length so went with sliding dropouts. A bit of a relief really as 16.5" stays did tend to make the front end a bit light and vague on steep climbs with a 150mm travel fork. Pulling the rear end out 1/2" makes the bike much more planted on the climbs but hasn't effected the 'playfulness' of the bike at all. I know wonder why companies are going for the shortest stays when the front wheel is almost in another time zone. Gotta balance everything out. Shit I'm turning into JCL ;)

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 2, 2016, 12:08 p.m.

When I was trying to the figure out the geometry of the frame that I commissioned (which I guess predates the current long / slack trend a bit) I couldn't decide on chainstay length so went with sliding dropouts. A bit of a relief really as 16.5" stays did tend to make the front end a bit light and vague on steep climbs with a 150mm travel fork. Pulling the rear end out 1/2" makes the bike much more planted on the climbs but hasn't effected the 'playfulness' of the bike at all. I know wonder why companies are going for the shortest stays when the front wheel is almost in another time zone. Gotta balance everything out. Shit I'm turning into JCL ;)

I think a lot of the short stay thing is marketing. DH bikes are longest lowest and slackest bikes going and they seem to turn tight corners just fine. Sure shorter stays make a difference but not that much. Particularly bad for taller riders as the higher saddle height puts their butts even further back. In my view using a steep seat tube angle to compensate for stupid short chain stays is dumb.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 3, 2016, 1:06 a.m.

I asked some questions regarding HT geometry on this thread earlier and got some really good answers and insight.

Since then I test rode some hardtails and could confirm and get a feel for some of this.

I'll order a custom HT frame this week and know pretty much what I want, except I am a bit unsure about my desired BB height.

It'll be a 650b since I have a 650b Pike and a nice wheel set kicking around.

I want it to be 66deg HA with a 140mm Pike unsagged. 452mm reach, 120mm headtube, 420mm chainstays, 470mm seat tube 74deg seat angle.

What do you guys think would a reasonable BB height be?

I'll use the bike for perfecting/practicing my riding skills, the manual, bunny hopping and some trials moves, casual trail riding on mellower trails, getting to the pump track and riding there.

I do have s nice Carbon enduro FS which I love for the high speed gnar trails. I don't need the hardtail for that or for the big mountains.

I want it to be a fun rather than a "fast" bike.

The 450mm reach is pretty short for me, I have monkey arms. My FS is 18mm longer and feels spot on with a 30mm stem. I'd go to a 40mm stem on the HT.

320mm? Too high?

310mm?

July 3, 2016, 11:08 p.m.

As low as you possibly feel comfortable IMO. Don't have to worry about big changes in bb height as this is a ht, so pedal strikes really are a non issue IMO. I get more pedal strikes on my fully with a higher bb than my ht

July 17, 2016, 9:38 a.m.

Just finished building up my new single speed fat bike.

July 17, 2016, 11:12 a.m.

Now THAT'S a hardtail BIKE! Bonus points for the axle tug, nice work son!

July 30, 2016, 8:26 p.m.

Mistress V2 visiting the shore….

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 31, 2016, 11:38 a.m.

The Chromag on holiday high in the French Alps near Tignes.

2016-07-31_07-36-03 by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr

2016-07-31_07-39-04 by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr

It did not suck.

July 31, 2016, 11:06 p.m.

Mistress V2 visiting the shore….

Nice top tube pad.

Aug. 1, 2016, 6:30 p.m.

Nice top tube pad.

Gift from an old ski team mate to replace the one jacked.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 2, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

Gift from an old ski team mate to replace the one jacked.

It was mine.