NSMB - 2016 - Hardtail Thread

April 13, 2016, 3:09 p.m.

hey speaking of hardtails: my son's got an 11 year old friend who just picked up a dmr trailstar. if anyone remembers these frames, you'll recall they're not light - and this one's shod with sun double track rims, so even after i swapped in a bunch of stuff from the parts bin its still a pretty heavy bike. kid was so psyched to ride he hauled that thing up fromme 3x on sunday: endo's, wipeouts, pinch flats, nothing could wipe the smile off his face. soooo… if anyone's got a set of 26" disc wheels (20mm front, qr rear) gathering dust in the shed and in need of a good home, i can trade you a batch of homemade cookies for them and guarantee they'll be very much appreciated and thoroughly abused

So DMR did a chrome trailstar. Thanks for confirming that. Say that as someone was selling a chrome DMR on Kijiji that looks similar.

Spotted a shop in Van has been running a couple of ads for new frames built up.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 14, 2016, 10:27 p.m.

The new 2016 version has an ~ 1" longer ETT and a 73 degree seat tube angle so I think that would make for a better all around ride? any comments or thoughts? thx!

apparently it will no longer be suited to aggressive riding

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 18, 2016, 12:16 p.m.

New Marley, tires are too skinny and it's got a front derailleur, sorry guys

April 18, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

Hey you hardtail guys,
can you educate me about hardtail specific geometry quirks?

I´ve got a 650b Pike kicking around my garage. And a friend who builds great custom frames (does it for a living).

He´ll build a frame for me, but I am not really sure what I want.

I want it to be compatible with all my parts from my main bike.

Pike (at 140 or 160mm), 650b wheels. 15x100 and 142x12. No boost. 73mm threaded bb. 30.9mm seatpost.

I am unsure about geometry though. I´ll want around 460 to 465mm reach. That feels perfect on my Strive.

420mm chainstays. Long headtube. 460mm seattube length.

But headangle and bottom bracket height, even seattube angle give me headaches (on hardtails, because of sagged/unsagged geometry)

I am thinking static 65° headangle. It gets steeper because of fork sag? Low BB. But what is low on a 140mm hardtail?

I want the hardtail as a second bike for the thrill and less stable feeling on mellower trails. Maybe some jumping and pump track riding. Also I´ll fit my BOByak trailer for trailbuilding and tool transport.

Should I travel reduce the Pike to 140mm of travel and build the bike around that?
Nimbler and quicker?

I do have my enduro full-suspension as my main ride. The hardtail doesn´t need to win races. It´s just for fun and improving my skills.

I´d be thankful for all input!

April 18, 2016, 1:20 p.m.

first geometry-related step is to sell your 650b pike and buy a 29" fork

unless you're a little guy, or don't ride hard, building a hardtail from scratch with small wheels is like deciding you're going to ride with your shorts on backwards and one hand on the bars

imho

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 18, 2016, 1:34 p.m.

Sag also affects reach and stack. As your fork sags, reach increases and stack decreases, and vice versa for rear suspension. Generally, more sag is run in the rear than up front, so the effective reach on a full-suspension bike is shorter than the static reach geometry. I'd go slightly shorter on the static reach on a hardtail to account for this difference.

If I were doing it, I would start with Kona Honzo geometry and tweak from there.

April 18, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

first geometry-related step is to sell your 650b pike and buy a 29" fork

unless you're a little guy, or don't ride hard, building a hardtail from scratch with small wheels is like deciding you're going to ride with your shorts on backwards and one hand on the bars

imho

hahaha, sure.

April 18, 2016, 2:51 p.m.

hahaha, sure.

unpopular prediction alert: within 5 years, the 650b wheel will be where 26" is now: relegated to kids bikes and otherwise dead if not dying :P

April 18, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

unpopular prediction alert: within 5 years, the 650b wheel will be where 26" is now: relegated to kids bikes and otherwise dead if not dying :P

not everyone is into the smash straight into and over obstacles method of riding

April 18, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

Prediction: In 15 years we will all be riding 18 lb Fat bikes with continuously variable transmissions and electric motor assist. Even in the tour de france.

Wrong. Always.

April 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.

New Marley, tires are too skinny and it's got a front derailleur, sorry guys

Taht's really sweet. :drool: Cool old volvo too.

Wrong. Always.

April 18, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

not everyone is into the smash straight into and over obstacles method of riding

and not everyone hasn't ridden an 29er in the past five years. if you think that's (still?) all they're good for, you need to ride more bikes

April 18, 2016, 4:50 p.m.

I raced cx on a rootdown. And won.

Biggest lie in NSMB history.

Wrong. Always.

April 18, 2016, 6:05 p.m.

But headangle and bottom bracket height, even seattube angle give me headaches (on hardtails, because of sagged/unsagged geometry)

a little more info to bang your head against.

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/class_is_in_session_bike_fit_basics

besides that, pick a wheel size and be a dick about it.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

April 18, 2016, 7:45 p.m.

One more photo, just because she's a beaut'.