NSMB - 2016 - Hardtail Thread

April 22, 2016, 11 a.m.

i guess i've ridden forks on the same bike with different offsets at similar travel but as you say, swapping forks introduces other variables (travel, suspension action/feel, ride height, hta, etc) that seem easier to parse than offset (to me at least)

even swapping crowns/lowers to experiment with different offsets will change a bike's wheelbase - i wonder how much an extra 1/2" of wheelbase "offset" the more nimble feel you had upon switching forks andrew? - but i think that would be the easiest way to isolate the impact of offset on how a bike rides

speaking of offset/wheelbase, i know you don't like it when i extrapolate from the jones bike to "real" mtb's, but that thing had a really long fork offset, and correspondingly low trail number, and felt both super nimble and super stable…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 22, 2016, 5:14 p.m.

i guess i've ridden forks on the same bike with different offsets at similar travel but as you say, swapping forks introduces other variables (travel, suspension action/feel, ride height, hta, etc) that seem easier to parse than offset (to me at least)

even swapping crowns/lowers to experiment with different offsets will change a bike's wheelbase - i wonder how much an extra 1/2" of wheelbase "offset" the more nimble feel you had upon switching forks andrew? - but i think that would be the easiest way to isolate the impact of offset on how a bike rides

speaking of offset/wheelbase, i know you don't like it when i extrapolate from the jones bike to "real" mtb's, but that thing had a really long fork offset, and correspondingly low trail number, and felt both super nimble and super stable…

Absolutely re. trying to compare offsets. Wheel base and minor HTA changes from A-to-C come into account. I suppose it was, at best, a general comment on offset in the real world but that's as close as I've ever gotten to a true comparison.

I think you might be confusing me with Ken re. what qualifies as a "real MTB" as I road a rigid fork on one of my bikes until very recently.

I do think the Jones is very much it's own animal (reach, stack, offset, HTA) with all dimensions chosen for rigid optimization. Doesn't mean it's not interesting just not sure it can be universally applied.

When is your review of that bike coming? Better hurry, I hear this new thing called the 29'er is killing the good old 650b+ platform.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

April 24, 2016, 8:26 p.m.

First new bike in a lot of years. No 29 inch wheels here. Flame on!

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

April 25, 2016, 11:16 a.m.

That is niiiiiiice, despite the smaller than ideal wheels!

April 25, 2016, 11:27 a.m.

way to disadvantage yourself! lol! looks good, enjoy!

April 25, 2016, 5:03 p.m.

… No 29 inch wheels here. Flame on!

That is niiiiiiice, despite the smaller than ideal wheels!

way to disadvantage yourself! lol! looks good, enjoy!

sweet looking bike m@m

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 25, 2016, 5:05 p.m.

I don't even know how I have fun on my inferior technology

April 25, 2016, 8:53 p.m.

oh go clamp your top tube in a work stand

April 26, 2016, 6:55 a.m.

oh go clamp your top tube in a work stand

I did while I replaced the chain and ring on my other outdated front shifting drivetrain techonology last night, I should've just thrown the whole bike in the trash and bought the latest marketing hype instead

April 26, 2016, 7:11 a.m.

I should've just thrown the whole bike in the trash and bought the latest marketing hype instead

funny, I thought you were already running 650b wheels

April 26, 2016, 7:57 a.m.

Step 23. Pick a wheelsize and be a dick about it

Riding bikes is fun, riding hardtails is more fun. Who cares

April 26, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

Step 23. Pick a wheelsize and be a dick about it

Riding bikes is fun, riding hardtails is more fun. Who cares

exactly, why do the coolaid drinkers always feel the need to tell everyone else they've made terrible gear decisions? Boom, I really don't care what wheelsize people decide works best for them. If they're out in the woods having a good time I don't give a flying f*ck whether they're on 24" gazzi's or 29minus semichubbs. I have a great time every time I throw a leg over my bike, it works great for the riding I do, and want to do…why do you feel the need to belittle others gear choices just because it doesn't align with what works for you? I can handle lots of different wheel choice options, it's the sanctimonious preaching that everyone else doesn't get it like you do that gets me riled up.

April 26, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

funny, I thought you were already running 650b wheels

they just keep coming back for more abuse! you are good! :lol: I just got a 24" wheel bike for my daughter and she'll most likely kick your 29er ass :D

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

April 26, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

Wait….you guys are telling me I DIDN'T get the latest and greatest marketing hype bike? My dreams have been quashed. Anybody want to buy a slightly used Chromag before I scrap it?

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

April 26, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

exactly, why do the coolaid drinkers always feel the need to tell everyone else they've made terrible gear decisions? Boom, I really don't care what wheelsize people decide works best for them. If they're out in the woods having a good time I don't give a flying f*ck whether they're on 24" gazzi's or 29minus semichubbs. I have a great time every time I throw a leg over my bike, it works great for the riding I do, and want to do…why do you feel the need to belittle others gear choices just because it doesn't align with what works for you? I can handle lots of different wheel choice options, it's the sanctimonious preaching that everyone else doesn't get it like you do that gets me riled up.

uh, you're going to have to show me where i belittled anyone about their wheelsize choice or preached sanctimoniously about the benefits of 29ers. i gave a piece of geometry related advice in response to a request for geometry related advice, and gave some context for that advice when pressed. it may have caused your wheelsize-related insecurities to flare up, but that's on you flip, not me

also, generally, wondering what people are talking about wrt 29er marketing hype. where are you seeing it? because i'm not