NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

Dec. 11, 2015, 7:06 a.m.

Nice bikes!

Throw a 150mm Pike on that Stumpjumper Evo and a Rock Razor as a rear tire - you´ll love it even more. Had one with this combination and kind of regret letting it go. It is so fast, snappy and fun!

The SPRTN is also fantastic. Loads of carbon =)
And what size front tire is that? Looks like a fatbike =)

Why do people like rock razors? I tried one this summer and found it spun out super easy on any tech climb. It was infuriating.

Dec. 11, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

You sure put all the nice parts on the SPRTN.

(with CK hubs, RF 35mm cockpit, and much carbon)

And whoa! That´s a 2.3inch tire - I have 2.3 DHF and Minion SS on 23mm inner width rims. They look absolutely narrow in comparison.

I was curious and measured them this morning, they sit at 2.6 inches. The high volume tire profile makes them look huge though.

Try a Rock Razor at some point in the summer. Really love how it rides.

I've been curious about new gen semi slick, Maxxis makes a minion version and Specialized has the slaughter. I haven't ruled it out for summer riding.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 11, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

I love the Semislicks. They need a bit of a change in riding technique. Lean the bike just a tiny bit and they bite really, really good. Actually better than most xc/am full knob tires. The side knobs are really beefy on all three big brands.

I liked them in the 26inch variety (Rock Razor Pacestar, Snakeskin) even enjoyed them in the wet. It´s a bit slipperier, but it´s fun.

I LOVE them even more in the 27.5 variety, as they are a hair grippier and still as fast.

Right now I ride the Minion Semislick (the one you´re mentioning) and while it doesn´t roll as fast as the Rock Razor in the hard compound, it offers quite a bit more grip and has a nicer rebound. Not as pogo-like.

I am actually amazed how much grip it (Minion SS) offers when braking or climbing.

The Specialized Slaughter I rode for a couple of weeks was a 29er Control. Fast rolling, really a lot of grip - it´s a 29er after all. But the sidewalls are a joke. The DH-variants of the Slaughter are really heavy 1kg tires.

I feel that the Minion SS EXO is the best compromise for enduro riding. It offers more protection than the Snakeskin Rock Razor and the Slaughter Control, yet still has an acceptable balance of weight and rolling resistance.

Also it offers the most traction of the three tires. Rolls at least as good as the Slaughter, a good bit worse than the Pacestar Schwalbe though. The Rock Razor is ridiculously fast on pavement. But it does ride a bit xc-ish when pushed really hard.

One thing to beware:

The Semislick tires are a nightmare for all rims when they´re run tubeless. I didn´t have a flat, but my rims have dents, dents, dents. The missing rubber knobs right over the shoulders of the rim really make a difference. Don´t go too low on pressure.

Might be really good with your ultrawide rims. Or you´ll destroy them. Don´t know, never owned wide rims, yet. :D

I have to say: I think braking traction on the rear wheel isn´t really important as long as you have proper sideknobs. I actually feel the new style semislick tires improve my riding.

My braking technique is getting better and more controlled, more front brake and not in corners. But different strokes for different folks for shure. If you prefer full knobby, that´s fine. So many good tires out there.

Dec. 11, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

I ran the 27.5 Slaughter with the grid casing for most of last year. I'll buy another one next season. No dings in the rims, bit really hard when leaned over and gripped on techy climbs surprisingly well. The main key is to find the exact pressure that works best. Rolls fast which is the whole point. The main downfall would be if you lock the back brake, zero grip once you're locked and on the center profile. That being said I'm not one to skid so it was never really an issue for me.

Dec. 11, 2015, 1:51 p.m.

hugh Rock Razor fan myself , love the rally car corning one can do , a little scray in the corners on gravel but still a get tire .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 11, 2015, 3:11 p.m.

Dec. 11, 2015, 8:34 p.m.

Where's Al?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 12, 2015, 11:29 a.m.

I ran the Slaughter a bit this summer. It was awesome. Fast, little drifty, and then tons of grip when it's cornering time. Grid version. Tubeless. No problems with tears, flats or dents but I don't ride low pressures (28 psi min, generally 30) and am "BC XC" than "Freeride 2015/Enduro"

Terrible in the wet though. The slightest amount of braking and it grabs a tiny amount of muck and slides on it.

Dec. 16, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

Frame: Santa Cruz Bronson 2 CC XL
Shock: Fox Float X
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Fork: Rock Shox Pike RCT3 160mm Solo Air
Stem: Race Face Atlas 35mm
Bar: Santa Cruz Carbon 800mm
Grips: Chromag Palmskin
Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 150mm
Seat: Chromag Moon DT
Shifter: Shimano XT 11spd
Derailleur: Shimano XT 11spd Med Cage
Cassette: Shimano XT 11spd with OneUp 45T Sprocket
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Race Face Next SL with OneUp 32T Oval Ring
Wheels: DT 350/Easton ARC 27
Tires: F - Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Trail Star, R - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 Trail Star both Tubeless
Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm

Custom frame graphics by Vidiom Graphics.

Very nice! Maybe I'm stoopid but how would one contact Vidiom Graphics? I don't see any way of contacting them on their site.

Dec. 16, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

Very nice! Maybe I'm stoopid but how would one contact Vidiom Graphics? I don't see any way of contacting them on their site.

Try: [email protected]

Dec. 16, 2015, 4:57 p.m.

That Bronson looks so good. Nice build. Very clean.

Jon-boy.

Dec. 16, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

Good to see that you've left the 'Special Needs' home Mr Claw. Hope they didn't try and sue you on your way out!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 17, 2015, 5:08 a.m.

Tires: F - Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Trail Star, R - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 Trail Star both Tubeless

Does your chain drop when backpedaling on the biggest cog? I've read that a lot of people is experiencing this issue and I was wondering if the boost hubs can help with the 11 speed XT chainline.

Dec. 17, 2015, 9:22 a.m.

Does your chain drop when backpedaling on the biggest cog? I've read that a lot of people is experiencing this issue and I was wondering if the boost hubs can help with the 11 speed XT chainline.

No back-pedaling issues here. Its the chainline on the XT cranks that is the problem. Shimano's chainline is wider than ideal. Try a OneUp chainring instead.

Dec. 18, 2015, 3:05 p.m.

Got some better pics…

Chainguide: OneUp