NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

Nov. 1, 2015, 11:02 a.m.

Ha thanks peeps. The plan was to build something theft proof for those times that I actually ride a bike in the city. I didn't really intend on liking it :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 25, 2015, 11:26 a.m.

Haven't been actively posting in these forums for a while, but haven't been able to stop looking at other people's sweet rides… So I thought it was only right to share my custom build from September.

I had to make a few compromises to make it work within my budget (which i still overshot by a few hundred :) ) But it does the trick.

Nov. 25, 2015, 3 p.m.

Here's my Enduro from its first ride!

Still getting the suspension dialed. Much work to be done.

Dec. 5, 2015, 8:25 a.m.

My 2015 Canyon Strive CF Race 9.0
Size large.

Bought as a complete bike, incredible value. I got it for less than what a Santa Cruz Nomad frame only costs over here. New and with full warranty. Comes with only high end components even - Guide RSC, Pike RCt3 and Monarch plus RCT3, Renthal Carbon bars and all that unnecessary stuff.

I swapped some parts over from my "old" bike, because I love some of the parts.
And as a birthday present to myself I bought a 2016 170mm Lyrik and put it on there. Takes it to 65.5* HA and feels fantastic -that's how the bike should be specced.

After some tinkering with volume spacers, air pressure etc. the suspension feels really balanced. The debonair like stuff in the Lyrik is really good. I run it with two volume spacers right now.

The 40mm stem and the long reach (468mm size large) fit me like a glove, the short chainstays keep it playful. Racers might want longer. I prefer it short.

The only thing I don't really like: The wheels have non-removable decals. That's awful. With alle the other frame decals, crank decals, shifter paddle decals, derailleur decals and so on, I feel like a roadie or a SRAM commercial. Internal routing cable rattle was effectively cured with some 40cent pipe insulation, inserted through the head tube. I might try murder the decals with some car wrapping stuff.

Dec. 9, 2015, 9:13 a.m.

My Stumpjumper Evo carbon.

Yes, I actually sought out and purchased a 26" frame in 2015.

I switched from a Spitfire V1 to this. It checked off most of the things I wanted to improve upon from the Spitfire: through-axle rear, pivot bearings rather than bushings, more travel, less weight (nearly two pounds on the frame alone, despite the added travel and stoutness), and most importantly shorter chainstays. I dropped a size (large to medium) and threw on a slightly longer stem to make the bike easier to throw around as I spend 99% of my serious riding time on a dirt jump bike.

I transferred over all the parts (fresh chain/cassette/ring) from my initial Banshee build as this is meant to be a more budget-oriented bike. The fork is blown so I am keeping an eye out for a cheap used replacement. The tires are the lower-end hard compound version and they are terrible, I am replacing the front ASAP. The saddle and I really do not get along so I am planning on switching over to a railed Specialized seat.

I love this thing, it is a blast on the trail. Due to a ton of factors, it tracks the ground better than my old bike, and it's still far easier to pick up and throw around.

Dec. 9, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

your pic isn't big enough. I can barely see it

Dec. 10, 2015, 8:30 a.m.

Night time shakedown ride. Did a few laps on the lower trails of Fromme last night after building this beauty up on the weekend. All I can say is wow. Coming off a spitfire V2, this thing is stiff and responsive. Not as good a climber out of the saddle, but I'll get used to that because the downs have improved remarkably. (quick shout out to Cove, Different, and Zac Smith for help with the build).

Also, Carbon Nobl wheels are the business.

Wanted a Carbon Knolly Warden and until riding this bike was planning on selling it when availability on the K bike was there. After last night, might just have to add it to the quiver.

Build
Cassette - XTR 11-36 with Woolftooth extended ring
Shifter - X0 10 speed
Rear D - X01 10 speed DH
KMC Gold chain
Pedals - RF Atlas
Crank - Next SL 30T
Bar - SixC 35
Stem - Turbine 35
Grips - Shimano Atherton
Wheels - Noble TR rims laced to Chris King Hubs
Brakes - Saint M820 w/ Hope sawblade rotors
Rear shock - Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 debonair Fast Black
Brakes - shimano saint
Fork - Manitou Mattoc Pro

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 10, 2015, 8:58 a.m.

arg, you're not making my decision between the 2016 Troy and Spartan any easier..I've been losing sleep over the two for a while now. Post up more impressions as you log more time on it…please :)

Dec. 10, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

My Stumpjumper Evo carbon…

Are you sure that's 26"? The wheels look huge to me…

Dec. 10, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

Nice bikes!

Throw a 150mm Pike on that Stumpjumper Evo and a Rock Razor as a rear tire - you´ll love it even more. Had one with this combination and kind of regret letting it go. It is so fast, snappy and fun!

The SPRTN is also fantastic. Loads of carbon =)
And what size front tire is that? Looks like a fatbike =)

Dec. 10, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

Nice bikes!

The SPRTN is also fantastic. Loads of carbon =)
And what size front tire is that? Looks like a fatbike =)

Front tire is 2.3 DH casing Magic Mary on 31mm internal width carbon rims.

Dec. 10, 2015, 2:13 p.m.

That Spartan is sweet! What cassette are you running on there? No dropper?

Magic Mary in back? Someone's looking to get in shape. Your fork is on backwards :D

Dec. 10, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

That Spartan is sweet! What cassette are you running on there? No dropper?

Magic Mary in back? Someone's looking to get in shape. Your fork is on backwards :D

XTR Cassette 11-36 with wolftooth 42t cog. I was debating going 11 xt but had this cassette new in a box and didn't want to sell it, so I used it with a 10 speed X01 derailleur that was also new (planned for the DH bike, which is currently sporting a bent x9 derailleur ).

When this cassette wears through, I'll likely replace the drive train with 11 speed XT set up, and put the XO1 derailleur on the DH bike, which I don't ride much in the winter.

Magic Mary, winter time, I prefer traction over climbing speed. Was also limited with tire choices for the wide rims, as availability of the HV Maxxis line isn't high at the moment.

KS Lev Integra is waiting for me at the LBS, just haven't made time to go get it.

Dec. 10, 2015, 3:07 p.m.

You sure put all the nice parts on the SPRTN.

And whoa! That´s a 2.3inch tire - I have 2.3 DHF and Minion SS on 23mm inner width rims. They look absolutely narrow in comparison.

Try a Rock Razor at some point in the summer. Really love how it rides.

Dec. 10, 2015, 9:38 p.m.

Here's my newish bigger bike - got it in July. Picture is obviously not from July.

Ibis Mojo HD3 - few upgrades. Raceface 800mm SixC bar, Guide RSC Brakes with a 200mm rotor up front, some Oneup stuff on the back (42t, Radr cage) for a 1x10. Otherwise pretty stock…for now. I rode a lot of bikes last year and this was the one I really fell for. :couple: