NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

June 12, 2015, 9:32 p.m.

Look it up dickhead^^

diggin

June 13, 2015, 1:01 a.m.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Usually I buy used stuff, fix it up, then run that until I get bored. But I got a chance to buy something new. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked and it's sure nice to be running a fork and frame that's ~10 years newer than my previous ride!

Took it out for a trip to Squamish for a couple hours this afternoon. So much fun! We did Legacy Climb to Half-Nelson, a 2nd lap of H-N, then back up to Pseudo-Tsuga to the car. Climbing was awesome - especially after the Bottlerocket (which I thought was an OK climber with the 40t). My first lap of H-N was a bit iffy as I'm used to short hardtails or bikes like the BR. I was also farting around with suspension settings. 2nd lap was all time.

Interestingly, bunny-hops and wheelies are great but I can't seem to manual worth a damn (never was real good to begin with). I assume it'll just take some time to get used to the longer reach.

Rot… that looks really nice.

Interestingly, I'm running the 40t on the rear of my Patrol that I previously was running on my Intense Tracer 275. Setup with a moderate amount of wrap using the stock derailleur b-tension screw, i've had flawless performance.

This was my experience with the Bottlerocket…min amount of adjustment (although I did reverse the b-tension screw) and it worked perfectly. Not so much with the Suppressor. However, on the trails today I got a chance to fiddle with it and I think I got 'er licked. Shifting is still a bit lazy towards the 11t but I can live with that if it means crisp/quick shifting on the other end.

Note about the Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair - great shock! BUT… it took significantly longer to break-in than any Fox I've had in the past. Like a good solid 10 or 12 rides. I thought it was way over-damped - both compression and rebound. But then it almost sort of suddenly broke in and I added a few clicks of each and it's been brilliant since. I'm still getting some blow-off a oil residue on each ride, but less and less. I've read that this is also typical with RS rear shocks. We'll see.

Good to know that the shock might need some time to break in. It felt OK today but I can't say I was super impressed. But then, new bike and all so I wasn't sure what to expect.

How did you add clicks of compression? Isn't there just the open-med-firm lever? Can't say I played with the lever much, I turned it a couple times just because it was there but I left it in the open position all day and forgot about it.

Also thanks for the bit about the oil blow-by. I had a fair amount on the o-ring at the end of the day and was kinda worried I might have a problem. I'll keep an eye on things and hopefully it'll settle down (or run out of oil I suppose).

July 8, 2015, 6:41 a.m.

Built up a spitfire for the girlfriend and a prime for myself. They may not be the lightest but they take a beating.

July 8, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

How did you add clicks of compression? Isn't there just the open-med-firm lever? Can't say I played with the lever much, I turned it a couple times just because it was there but I left it in the open position all day and forgot about it.

Also thanks for the bit about the oil blow-by. I had a fair amount on the o-ring at the end of the day and was kinda worried I might have a problem. I'll keep an eye on things and hopefully it'll settle down (or run out of oil I suppose).

Yeah sorry… wasn't thinking as I was staring at my DH bike with a Fox shock. I took off the sleeve and stock it was running 2 volume spacers. I took one out and added 7 psi. Money.

July 8, 2015, 6:29 p.m.

Just got this beauty all built up last week. Took it for one ride in whistler so far but didnt have the suspension set the greatest so it was only a so so ride

July 8, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

This is currently my lusted after frame. Seriously considering selling both the M9 and Slash for one of these bad boys!

July 8, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

now that is slack

Wrong. Always.

July 8, 2015, 9:35 p.m.

Just got this beauty all built up last week. Took it for one ride in whistler so far but didnt have the suspension set the greatest so it was only a so so ride

Damn, hot bike.

July 10, 2015, 10:38 a.m.

Already posted early in the year but made some changes over the past two months.

2013 Santa Cruz Blur TR
Rockshox Sektor RL
XT 10 speed dérailleur with XTR shifter
SLX brakes
Chromag cockpit - 50mm Ranger stem silver, grey Fubars, grips
RS Reverb, silver Hope dropper clamp
Race Face Ride XC cranks, nukeproof flats
e.Thirteen TRS+ rims laced to silver Hope Pro2s
At the moment a Kenda BBG in the rear and Minion DHF up front (probably going Ardent soon)

I'm so happy with the ride, I feel a great mix of in total control and just on the edge. Pedals great and just rails downhill, the low BB is certainly nice. It's my first non-dh full suspension since my 03 Norco Fluid.

The Reverb is my first dropper and is likely the biggest game changer for me in 20 years of mountain biking.

Plans for the coming year are to get a new fork, likely a Pike. As well I may get the cranks bead blasted to raw to continue with the whole silver/raw component theme.

July 10, 2015, 11:47 a.m.

As well I may get the cranks bead blasted to raw to continue with the whole silver/raw component theme.

are the cranks rf deus? if so i have a set of silver/raw ones you can have. they're pretty and they're light, but somehow i'm cursed running any cranks but shimano :|

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 10, 2015, 12:14 p.m.

that looks fun. 26" Pikes can be picked up pretty cheap too. But I'd keep the Minion up front, or maybe switch to a lighter EXO version.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 10, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

are the cranks rf deus? if so i have a set of silver/raw ones you can have. they're pretty and they're light, but somehow i'm cursed running any cranks but shimano :|

PM coming your way.

July 10, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

that looks fun. 26" Pikes can be picked up pretty cheap too. But I'd keep the Minion up front, or maybe switch to a lighter EXO version.

Part of me is tempted to go 27.5 for a fork just to future proof as the frame is apparently an excellent and easy conversion. The A2C of a 27.5 pike at 150 looks to be the same of my Sektor at 150. Only reason I could see making the change though is if quality 26" tires become obsolete soon.

Ya I've thought about a lighter minion. I took this one off the park bike and really these tires are a great all rounder. Was thinking of trying something new that might give better control in the dry and loose trails of the okanagan, not sure if the Ardent is ideal but it sounds like it's decent in loose conditions.

July 10, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

Run an Ardent out back. Up front EXO casing DHF or DHRII.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 10, 2015, 3:48 p.m.

The Ardent is terrible in loose, but its still pretty fun and drifty. Out back its the best, or up front if you like crashing. I have about a dozen of them for the dry interior summer months, plus they're usually really cheap. Minion DHF, HR2, Vigilante up front for the gripz.