NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

May 17, 2015, 8:51 p.m.

Yeah, welded overseas.

The welds might look a bit gnarly (the processing I did on the photo brings them out a lot too) but I really don't mind at all.

It's not some masterpiece welding like you'd see at one of those bike maker shows but it also doesn't cost as much as one either.

They look a lot better than some of the Banshee's!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 18, 2015, 5:08 a.m.

@JCL
Spesh and my LBS were very quick, had the parts the next day.
The Enduro has a 66.5deg HA from the get go, so it isn't incredibly slack.
I used a BURGTEC offset bushing until now, while noticeable, it didn't do that much.

I tended to run it with lots of sag and volume reducers in the shock. Lower BB and slacker HA, bit wallowy. But the modification now let's me run a bit less sag, more linear suspension curve and I am still lower and slacker.
I feared that it would be unridable, but the difference is more subtle than I thought.

The new 650B Stumpjumper looks good, 650b is pretty close to the Stumpjumper Evo 26 with a 160mm Pike I rode last season. That's a good thing though, absolutely dialed, stellar bike.

I'll really have to try the 29er version, bet that thing flies.

I also really like those new Transitions, great that they're offering a 26er still.

May 18, 2015, 6:14 a.m.

Yeah at first I was waffling back and forth whether I should finally come around to 27.5" and get a Patrol. But then I started thinking about the decent 26" wheelset I just put on the Bottlerocket last year and yeah…I'll be running 26" until I can't find any tires.

Just an FYI, I have seen more than one Supressor running 27.5s. Tire clearance looked fine with a Rock Razor on a Flow.

May 18, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

@JCL
Spesh and my LBS were very quick, had the parts the next day.
The Enduro has a 66.5deg HA from the get go, so it isn't incredibly slack.
I used a BURGTEC offset bushing until now, while noticeable, it didn't do that much.

I tended to run it with lots of sag and volume reducers in the shock. Lower BB and slacker HA, bit wallowy. But the modification now let's me run a bit less sag, more linear suspension curve and I am still lower and slacker.
I feared that it would be unridable, but the difference is more subtle than I thought.

The new 650B Stumpjumper looks good, 650b is pretty close to the Stumpjumper Evo 26 with a 160mm Pike I rode last season. That's a good thing though, absolutely dialed, stellar bike.

I'll really have to try the 29er version, bet that thing flies.

I also really like those new Transitions, great that they're offering a 26er still.

Bringing the link through it's rotation a little seems to flatten the leverage rate a bit. I keep forgetting you're on the 26" head angle wise. I had an E26 a while back, good bike but must be killer with that mod.

Yep the new SJ 650b looks good but not for me. I'll get the 29" version sooner or later though. Mainly so I can pull a burrito out of the downtube mid ride and blow peoples minds!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 19, 2015, 1:37 a.m.

I couldn't resist the carbon. And I broke my Pikes (again) so swapped for a 36.

Still loving the Reign, been having a play with the shock inside to try [HTML_REMOVED] get a nice balance on it.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

May 19, 2015, 5:39 a.m.

The downtube-burrito is a great idea, it is also a pretty good justification to get the carbon frame :S

Alloy: No hole, no burrito - no sale =)

I don´t really think that a 200g weight penalty is worth that compartment.
On the other hand, NOT having sharp objects like a shock pump or other stuff in your backpack might be a good thing if you crash…

Enduro 26 - short shock extension:
You´re right. I did notice a slightly different feel with the shorter linkage, now that you´re saying it. I wouldn´t be able to pinpoint the exact difference, might after a few more rides.

The 26er Enduro for sure feels quite nervous compared to bigger wheeled bikes of late, but for me it is a LOT of fun. It wheelies and manuals incredibly well. And it is very light and snappy. 12kg with fat tires, dropper, flat pedals, size large. Durable. And with the 65° head angle there´s a lot of wheel in front of you.

Where the 29er Enduro really shines is carrying speed. When I swapped bikes with a buddy last week (he rides the XL Alloy Enduro 29) I overshot most of the jumps, because the bike just didn´t loose speed, fun! Also it didn´t feel super long or unwieldy, even though it had 750mm narrow bars, a 70mm stem and one frame size up from my large 26er. It also felt incredibly secure in steep stuff. Traction is amazing as well. I can only imagine how good that thing rides, when you bling it out with wide carbon bars, a shorter stem, proper tires and dialed suspension. Might be too much bike for most trails.

But I couldn´t go back to a mid-spec alloy bike from my blinged out carbon ride. I have to admit that. It felt heavier. Not too heavy, but once you ride a bling bike for a longer period, you´re just spoilt.

Also the cheap Traverse Fattie wheels are really not that stiff. Quite some flex in bermed turns. All in all - still amazing what this bike can do.
My 26 Enduro might get a 29er big brother for 2017 - maybe even with the burrito cage?

May 19, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

Just an FYI, I have seen more than one Supressor running 27.5s. Tire clearance looked fine with a Rock Razor on a Flow.

Good to know.

I'll stash that information away for down the road.

Thanks.

May 23, 2015, 8:13 p.m.

couple of updates for 2015, had a blast on it in the bike park today

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

May 24, 2015, 9:09 p.m.

my new transition smuggler. fresh on friday. highly impressed on the 2 short rides i've done so far.

May 24, 2015, 9:33 p.m.

C'mon Whitehonky, gimme' the goods……….

Yeah jbv your weight is within spec but the b/b height? Do tell.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 25, 2015, 9:04 a.m.

Very nice mate, looks like a fun one!

May 25, 2015, 1:17 p.m.

Any opinions on the current Cove G-spot? I don't think I need all the new fangled tech, or do I? Fond one for sale "like new" with quite a nice build at around 30 pounds. My current bike (07 Switch) is an awful climber.

May 25, 2015, 1:49 p.m.

my new transition smuggler. fresh on friday. highly impressed on the 2 short rides i've done so far.

I bet that thing is incredible fun!

May 26, 2015, 7:33 a.m.

I couldn't resist the carbon. And I broke my Pikes (again) so swapped for a 36.

How did you break your pike?

May 26, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

For those who don't like links

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden